THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A few years ago I bought an OBDII dongle that communicates via bluetooth to phone/tablet. I use an app called "Torque". It shows me the DTC status for all the tests. Very handy little tool.

The evap test is tough. It requires so many cooldown and heatup cycles, which are dependent on outside air temp. AZ in the spring gets a little "iffy" on ambient temp being cool enough. I had failing evap systems and a failing cat converter. Took me a few days of crazy driving cycles to get all but one test to pass. I had to google the different drive cycles to see what it took EXACTLY to make the test active.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Evap system on most cars relies on the cool down of fuel in the tank to put system into a vacuum to pull down a switch for small evap leak test. A small leak is .020 and to think the tank vent on a GTO is about .150 but lets keep that quiet

TOM
Old 09-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Emissions testing, what is that? Man I love living in VA Our inspection is done by a local old time mechanic shop and he checks for all the really important stuff(brakes,lights,tires,really bad suspension issues etc..) I like that he really checks to make sure the car is safe but doesn't worry about BS issues that don't effect the road worthiness of the vehicle. Living out in the sticks has it's advantages. The best part of my 71 Lemans is that it never fails the computer scans because it doesn't have one and I don't need a laptop to check how it's running.

Old 09-24-2015, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just wait. They will automatically fail every TDI VW that pulls into the NOVA inspections stations that require emissions testing.

Beast. If you live in Nelson, Tommy Harvey is the place to go.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 09-24-2015, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does VA emissions inspect diesel vehicles? No such testing in Texas - yet.

Diesel-powered vehicles are currently inspected for safety related items only.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98