Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-02-2016, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
It does not take as long as you may think Brian. Bump or roll in with left foot, right foot ready to go and thumb ready to push button.
Ditto. A light car helps. 👍

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 08-03-2016, 06:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been racing pro trees for 5+ years. I race a 10.0 index with a .500 pro tree. You have plenty of time. Go on the 2-step as soon as the last person stages. Then get ready. You might have to bump in one more time for a good reaction time If you or the car react slow. I raced a couple .400 tree events and it was no different than the .500. On the .400 tree I had to launch at 4500 and one extra bump to get a good light. On the .500 I just turn on the stage light and launch at 3000 in the day and 2800 at night.
A pro tree is addicting.

It will mess you up on a sportsman tree if you leave of the bottom bulb.

Old 08-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Get on the brake when you turn on the stage light. When the second person stages, mash the gas and launch on yellow!

Back in my mud drag days, we ran a .500 pro tree and the entrance to the drag lanes was downhill. If you tried to foot brake and then hit the trans brake you would roll through the stage beam, so I always had to stage on the trans brake. With a 4500 lb 4x4 truck sporting 38 inch mud tires, there is plenty of lash in the transfer case that you had to really have to account for when you hit the button. With those large front tires, you really had to gauge how deep to stage to cut a good light. Try to do that when you have at least 8 inches of free roll when you hit the trans brake!

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Polichena View Post
It does not take as long as you may think Brian. Bump or roll in with left foot, right foot ready to go and thumb ready to push button.
A lot of times (Milan) when you are pushing the button in the tree will come on, so it turns into a RACE to see who can stage first............really STUPID! Dragstrips need to be consistent when the tree comes down after the last person stages (most don't care or understand)........... the pro's get all day!

GTO George

Old 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good point George, some starters activate the tree way early and you better be ready for it or you will be late. Learn how they do it in time runs so that you are ready to rumble in eliminations.

For the bracket racer, be careful as that pro tree will seem really fast at first hit.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Is it ok to just turn the delay box to zero or should I bypass the box by wiring the switch directly to the transbrake.

462 #62 d-ports best 9.60 @ 140.20
naturally aspirated

new combo
70 firebird 3280# race weight
523 HiPorts by EIC Motorsports
8.49@158.9 N/A
Old 08-05-2016, 10:16 PM

Zero is okay

Old 08-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there is a auto switch on the light that is activated when the the second car in second bulb lights.The track has the option to turn it on or have the starter activate the light.Tom

Old 08-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Most tracks use the 'auto start' which does that, when 1st car stages, the second car has a set amount of time to stage then the yellow has a set amount of time to flash.

The yellow set time is usually random time in a range of time.
(varies from manufacturers)

Usually the Pro guys, (NHRA) the starter activates the button.
(like Nitro classes)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates