THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:56 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfsak View Post
I have a 1961 Safari for sale and have listed the good/bad and posted pics. People want to have endless email conversations that stretch over a week. Now, I ask them to call me if they are really interested and I will answer any and all questions and take all pics. Crickets..!!!

...we now return you to regular programming.
That's EXACTLY what I've been going through with my wagon! Some guy out west sent me a million questions and wants more photos, but he never bids. He doesn't even venture an offer.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxwolf321 View Post
I have never really understood why some people take offense to lowball offers. Just counter them. It literally takes 2 seconds over the phone and who knows, they may start at a stupid low price but eventually come to an agreeably price.
I have no objection to low ball offers per seh. The problem is that if you don't split the difference between your best price and the lowball, "you don't know what you are talking about" it's as if the law says that you have to meet me in the middle of MY Offer, not thhe sellers price.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 08-13-2016, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Recently I tried to sell a daily driver, and some kid called up over the phone cutting my asking price in half. His argument was that he saw one similar price. I already did my research and informed him the vehicle in that ad (still $1500 more than his offer and listed as firm) was a lower trim model, 3 years older, and had over 200k MORE miles than mine, and it was already sold within 2days. He wanted to negotiate still, but I politely said, we are too far apart, and I didn't offer a counter. Pretty sure he's been watching too many TV shows. BTW, I later sold it for only $500 less original asking price.

I've also learned many years ago, never put your bottom price with "firm." Too many tire kickers that think they can still talk you down. I tried this one time. I did all my research, at $9500 it was by far the least expensive (well below blue book), of similar age, and mine was super low mileage (stored in winter).

One guy wanted me to lower the price because the insurance would be kind of high for his son who was in his early 20s. Like that's my problem? Am I a charity (didn't say it, but thought it). In retrospect, I think he was a broker using his son as a bargaining chip.

My favorite exchange though (this one over the phone) selling that car, was this:

Him: "So what's your bottom price?"
Me: "It's in the ad, $9500."

Him: "You're not willing to negotiate even a little?"
Me: "No, that's why I put 'firm' in the ad."

Him: "Sooooo... if I showed up tonight with $8000 cash...."
Me: "You would go back home with $8000 cash."

He finally got the point and said goodbye.

Amazes me that people want to negotiate hard before they even see the vehicle.

Last edited by amcmike; 08-13-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:00 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Everyone who has replied to this post has VERY valid points, however you flawed when you priced your car also. All of your research guides have very inflated values of our cars. They are mostly used to insure them or for the banks to use them for collateral on loans. If you want a real value, and if your car is 'nice, correct, driver' or better, find some of the lesser collector auction companies and compare sales results to cars similar to yours.

Now, if somea**hat pulls crap like that when you've priced your car correctly, , just hang up the phone.
Yea I know they are inflated, which is why I used them as a gauge to start the negotiation

actually I posted it for a little more than a #2 condition on the guide

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

have any of you ever dealt with a local number texting you hell bent on getting your email address? and getting emails through the craigslist system from the "same person" also asking for your email

I keep asking questions that a local would be able to answer or at least respond to, but texts from the local number are giving me some doubts.

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
Old 08-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainofiron View Post
have any of you ever dealt with a local number texting you hell bent on getting your email address? and getting emails through the craigslist system from the "same person" also asking for your email

I keep asking questions that a local would be able to answer or at least respond to, but texts from the local number are giving me some doubts.
Scammers can use local numbers now too. Just because it's local doesn't mean it's real. Be cautious of those as well.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcmike View Post
Scammers can use local numbers now too. Just because it's local doesn't mean it's real. Be cautious of those as well.
Yea Im trying to be cautious, however I dont want to bring the hammer down on the guy just in case he is a real person that is interested and just not communicating that well.

I think I have given him plenty of reasonable consideration and asked plenty of questions to give him the chance to prove himself but nothing.