Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
Yup, trim rings off, dual throttle springs and an external emergency battery kill switch ( because the battery is in the trunk) were a couple things they jammed me about last time I went to grudge night. I hear some might want to see the ends of your wheel lugs to make sure there is enough thread engagement holding the nuts on. I'm sure each tech guy has their own notion of what's important. Had to get the car tech' done time. I had installed a new set of 5 point racing harnesses and he would clear me because I didn't have the submarine belt installed. I said are you telling me you think I'd be safer with 40+ year old seatbelt that new harnesses because I don't have it fastened between my legs? He just kind of shrugged and said thems the rules.
I got harped at about wheel nuts/axle studs. You will hear different rules..one is and I believe is the correct one..the stud must protrude thru the wheel an equal distance of its diameter.So a half inch stud must come thru the wheel half an inch.The other one is and the tech guy was adamant about it the stud must come thru the nut an equal amount to the diameter.

My wheel studs are 3 inchs long 1/2 inch threads,they come through the wheel studs approximately one inch,my open end lugnuts are 1 1/16 long on the outside of the wheel, they are also the shank style so they have another half inch threaded at least inside the wheel. The tech guy told me just to buy longer wheel studs...I'm like they are already 3 inches long!

466 Mike Voycey shortblock, 310cfm SD KRE heads, SD "OF 2.0 cam", torker 2
373 gears 3200 Continental Convertor
best et 10.679/127.5/1.533 60ft
308 gears best et 10.76/125.64/1.5471
Old 09-09-2017, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Sometimes they go a bit overboard for simple street cars, especially when most of them only run 12's, 13's or even 14's. On a nicely restored classic car some of this stuff isn't doable. Last time I went through tech the only thing he could ding me on was that my coolant over flow hose to the bottle didn't have a type of hose clamp on it, lol. Really?? I threw a zip tie on it and he said okay...didn't even bother to mention the single spring on the throttle return......whatever (I hate double springs by the way). This kind of stuff really kills the street car action at these tracks. Other tracks wouldn't even open the hood, or sometimes just grab the battery and make sure it's secure and said, "You're good"
Just use a lighter spring and double it up..it will look like a single but passes tech.

Old 09-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bleed your brakes, especially if you have any drum type.
Be safe!

Old 09-09-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta man View Post
Just use a lighter spring and double it up..it will look like a single but passes tech.
Yeah I know what you're saying and I'm 50/50 on the whole deal.
Usually on restorations I'm doing, and this actually applies to a few of my own cars here that I also like to race, I have most everything under the hood correct in detail, such as the correct colored throttle return spring. There are other minor things they sometimes complain about, but I'm just not willing to deviate on the restoration just to go make a few fun runs. And all that extra tension on the throttle just wears on the throttle shaft too, and I don't want to monkey around with springs coming off the front etc...

When you think about it, carbs already have dual springs. There is the coiled spring on the shaft, and the spring on the throttle arm. Oddly they don't say anything about fuel injected throttle body setups on new cars, which only use a coiled spring on the shaft.

It's just petty little things like that, that just drive me nuts with these tracks anymore. It's no wonder so many are closing down. Rising insurance rates sort of force this whole issue. I ran my firebird for 20+ years with it's single throttle spring and never had tech complain until recently.
I understand the coolant overflow deal, and the battery should be secured, but they have gone nuts recently over wheels, wheel studs and lug nuts, seat belts and snell ratings and on and on. And if it's a stick car, oh my god that's another can of worms. It's to the point I don't even want to take a fast car to the track anymore. I'm happy in a 15 second ride, lol.

Hopefully Surfsama doesn't catch too much grief and enjoys the day. Sunny there with highs in the mid 90's today so not too terrible.

Old 09-09-2017, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

Good luck man it's hard work. Looks great keep us posted.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

V.P. Pioneer Valley GTO Association
www.pvgto.com
67 Lemans 455 best et. 12.023@ 111 mph LVD 9/2008
68 GTO H.O. in progress?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sac raceway always seemed like a cut above runway racing to me. I've never raced there but I've been a couple of times for other events. Pretty low key place. I doubt they get too wound up about all the rules. Probably not going to get somebody measuring your hold down bolts to make sure they are 3/8" and fastened all the way through a frame member. Last time I went out I was in staging and the guy walks up and says you got a helmet? I say no. And he says if you break under 13s I'm sending you home. I just laughed and said I don't care, this is my last run and then I'm going home anyway. Then there was the tech that said I had to have a kill switch next time or I couldn't run. I said dude I'm not gonna drill my tail panel or my original bumper just for some hokie switch. I don't run drag tires so it's a 13 second car at best.

69 Firebird-462/Edel round ports/currently running the Holley Sniper/4sp/3.23posi/Deluxe Int/pwr st/vintage air/4wl disc( a work in progress-always )

http://youtu.be/eaWBd3M9MN4
Old 09-10-2017, 02:28 AM
Senior Chief

Just got back and had a blast! I'm really happy with the car (driver needs some practice) but the car really pulled it out there with a best time of 11.77. My 60 footers are terrible but got into the 11s so I'm happy.

I did have one hiccup after a few runs I started smelling burning rubber on the return road so I checked the engine and found the alternator belt had twisted itself on the pulleys.

Here's a couple of vids my wife and daughter shot (love them for the support):

Tree'd a Mopar but caught me in the end:
https://youtu.be/4EKxZpanvIQ

Same race as above just a side angle:
https://youtu.be/jktDYAFAFeM

Payback:
https://youtu.be/KwjWcMVnDQo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105a.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	463105   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354a.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	463106  

Old 09-10-2017, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome....a lot of fun with the 4 speed.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice runs!

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
‘66 Lemans, 455, KRE D-Ports, TH350, 12 bolt 3.90 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears (Traded)
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 09-10-2017, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great! Car looks sweet!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job congrats!

Old 09-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Impressive! I read where you didn't think you would be close to 11.49....I wondered how close you would get! If it was hot even more impressive!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsama View Post
Just got back and had a blast! I'm really happy with the car (driver needs some practice) but the car really pulled it out there with a best time of 11.77. My 60 footers are terrible but got into the 11s so I'm happy.

I did have one hiccup after a few runs I started smelling burning rubber on the return road so I checked the engine and found the alternator belt had twisted itself on the pulleys.

Here's a couple of vids my wife and daughter shot (love them for the support):

Tree'd a Mopar but caught me in the end:
https://youtu.be/4EKxZpanvIQ

Same race as above just a side angle:
https://youtu.be/jktDYAFAFeM

Payback:
https://youtu.be/KwjWcMVnDQo
Sounds like an M-20

Car runs good

Old 09-10-2017, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Impressive! I read where you didn't think you would be close to 11.49....I wondered how close you would get! If it was hot even more impressive!
With temps in the low 90's and humidity around 30% yesterday, the DA was hovering around 2500 ft. Saturday. Track is listed only 30 feet above sea level which is why I always liked this track. Even on a warm day the DA doesn't get out of control. But he could still expect the car to pick up a bit. Wait till December/January when the DA drops to nothing. Go back for some fun runs and he'll be in roll bar territory.

I always make a point to hit this track when we drive up to Sac to visit family, I've driven our Camaro up there 10 hours, raced it while I spent the weekend up there, then drove it home, lol.

Old 09-10-2017, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Congrats on the runs. If you can get those 60ft times down , your looking at 40s . Its making power , and as mentioned better air will be a great benefit.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO67GTO View Post
Good luck man it's hard work. Looks great keep us posted.
Thanks NO67GTO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebob View Post
Sac raceway always seemed like a cut above runway racing to me. I've never raced there but I've been a couple of times for other events. Pretty low key place. I doubt they get too wound up about all the rules. Probably not going to get somebody measuring your hold down bolts to make sure they are 3/8" and fastened all the way through a frame member. Last time I went out I was in staging and the guy walks up and says you got a helmet? I say no. And he says if you break under 13s I'm sending you home. I just laughed and said I don't care, this is my last run and then I'm going home anyway. Then there was the tech that said I had to have a kill switch next time or I couldn't run. I said dude I'm not gonna drill my tail panel or my original bumper just for some hokie switch. I don't run drag tires so it's a 13 second car at best.
It's for those very reasons I pass Sonoma race track and drive 2 hours to Sacramento. I like the less formal feel and the "run whacha brung" attitude. When the track shut down to clean an oiling issue all of us in the staging lanes just started talking and swapping stories. Lot's of compliments and I lost track of how may hands I shook there. So I would say it's more a cut above a big street gathering where everyone is just there to have a good time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Awesome....a lot of fun with the 4 speed.
Thanks Ponjohn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grivera View Post
Nice runs!
Thanks Grivera!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Great! Car looks sweet!
Thank you JSPont!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Good job congrats!
Thanks OCMDGTO!

Quote:
It was in the low 90s. Having black vinyl seats made it feel like it was 120 in the car and I had to keep wiping the sweat off my hand because it would slip-off the shifter knob during the runs. I am going to make some adjustments and should be back in December when the weather is cooler. Thanks ta man!

Quote:
Sounds like an M-20
Car runs good
Close! It's and Autogear supercase M22W. Thanks Formulajones!

Quote:
With temps in the low 90's and humidity around 30% yesterday, the DA was hovering around 2500 ft. Saturday. Track is listed only 30 feet above sea level which is why I always liked this track. Even on a warm day the DA doesn't get out of control. But he could still expect the car to pick up a bit. Wait till December/January when the DA drops to nothing. Go back for some fun runs and he'll be in roll bar territory.

I always make a point to hit this track when we drive up to Sac to visit family, I've driven our Camaro up there 10 hours, raced it while I spent the weekend up there, then drove it home, lol.
It was hot for sure and I'll be back when it's cooler and I make some adjustments. That track is fun and I like the low-key feel.

Old 09-10-2017, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good job!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome dude, congrats!!! Car looks and runs awesome!!

Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfsama View Post
Thanks NO67GTO!

Close! It's and Autogear supercase M22W. Thanks Formulajones!

It was hot for sure and I'll be back when it's cooler and I make some adjustments. That track is fun and I like the low-key feel.
Aha, That explains it. Sounds just like an M-20 going down track and the Autogear M22 has a similar gear spread, albeit steeper.

I agree, always liked that track, more of a home town feel with relaxed atmosphere. Not many of those left.