THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was tongue in cheek because of the piling on that "NASCAR would do anything to get back and keep their audience", obviously lost on your lack of a sense of humor. Comments such as this one:

Quote:
They are so desparate to get people to watch Nascar again they will try anything.
I see sarcasm is too complicated for you to process.

I guess if I have to explain it to you it was over your head.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-11-2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 05:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
It was tongue in cheek because of the piling on that "NASCAR would do anything to get back and keep their audience", obviously lost on your lack of a sense of humor.

I see sarcasm is too complicated for you to process.

I guess if I have to explain it to you it was over your head.
Nice backpedal......

Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
Nice backpedal......
As I said, if I have to explain it, your hopelessly lost, but I already knew that, keep up or you'll be left behind. No backpedal here. The quote is in the post if you missed it, it was one from from the NASCAR detractors. I tried to keep it simple just for you.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 09-11-2018, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I wouldn't read all that much into it. If they want to do a tribute in a way that makes sense to them, more power to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 461 Bird View Post
They are so desparate to get people to watch Nascar again they will try anything.
Wow hot button topic.. But I'll still throw my hat in the ring then split..
It's a sad/funny statement about NASCAR that, whatever the driver's intentions are, (and I believe he did this out of genuine respect), the coolest thing to see in NASCAR racing in 10 years is seeing our BIRD decal on the hood of a car.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372
Old 09-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If Toyota is using a Trans Am style logo on the hood, isn’t that possibly copyright infringement? I mean, GM still owns the Pontiac trademark, right?

Old 09-11-2018, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Toyota isn't using it as a logo, it was a tribute for 1 week to the guy that sold more Trans Ams for Pontiac than any 10 dealers did. Doubtful GM/Pontiac is even going to notice it.

To be considered for copyright infringement the entity has to be making a financial gain from said copyright, there is no profit from it's use.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 09-11-2018, 07:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
If Toyota is using a Trans Am style logo on the hood, isn’t that possibly copyright infringement? I mean, GM still owns the Pontiac trademark, right?
I gotta think if GM tried to flex muscle there it would be a PR nightmare. Yes a small portion of the Pontiac community might applaud it. But your talking about a minority of a minority. For the average American it would just be GM a threatening legal action for someone honoring the dead.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 09-11-2018, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I gotta think if GM tried to flex muscle there it would be a PR nightmare. Yes a small portion of the Pontiac community might applaud it. But your talking about a minority of a minority. For the average American it would just be GM a threatening legal action for someone honoring the dead.
GM has no basis to do anything, you have to be using their brand/logo for a monetary gain. If you painted a likeness of the hood bird on your house because you just happened to like it, GM will not bother you because you're reaping no gains from it. Use the same likeness in a business such as a sign, or advertising your business on media. They can either grant you permission to use it, or ask for compensation.

Thunder Am magazine was an example of not using the GM trademark. Pontiac is a name of an American Indian chief that GM has no trademark rights to. Pontiac Motor Division, they do own the rights to.

I.E. Mattel makes a hot wheels car and uses the Trans Am hood logo. GM doesn't own the Trans Am name, The SCCA does and Pontiac paid them $5 for each trans Am manufactured. The hood bird is owned by Pontiac though. Mattel is making monetary gains by selling the Hot Wheels cars with the GM logo/likeness for their gain. GM has every right in the world to ask for a percentage of the sale of said Hot Wheels cars., Their legal department will send a cease and desist letter to Mattel to quit using their trademarked logo and then negotiate a percentage before allowing Mattel to continue using their intellectual property. If Mattel uses the Trans Am name they have to license it through SCCA.

JJ Yeley, NASCAR, or the sponsors of the 23 car have no worries about GM hassling them by using the likeness of the hood bird for a memorial to Burt Reynolds. It could even be carved on his headstone without any worries.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 09-11-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure how this is any more 'disrespectful' than a refrigerator with a T/A hood bird painted on it, as shown in the other current thread.

Old 09-12-2018, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
I just hate to see someone trying to do something nice for someone they admired get bashed for it.
They wouldn't get bashed if their back window simply said:
R.I.P. Burt "Bandit" Reynolds

They wanted publicity... gotta be careful what you wish for.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm not sure how this is any more 'disrespectful' than a refrigerator with a T/A hood bird painted on it, as shown in the other current thread.
x2,

Old 09-12-2018, 08:56 AM
PY VIP

Take it in the spirit in which it was offered. There is enough manufactured outrage in this country already.

Founding Editor-in-Chief, Poncho Perfection Magazine (October 1, 2015- present)
www.ponchoperfection.com
Contributing Editor: Collectible Automobile (1999- present)

Author:
"Grand Prix: Pontiac's Luxury Performance Car" (Released April 27, 2007)
"How to Restore Your Pontiac GTO" (Released July 15, 2012)
"Pontiac Concept and Show Cars, 1939-1980" (Release Date April, 2016)

"Leave the gun, take the cannoli."
Old 09-12-2018, 09:24 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Keefe View Post
Take it in the spirit in which it was offered. There is enough manufactured outrage in this country already.
This ^^^

Much ado about nothing. At Indy they had a Funny Car done up in tribute to Bob Gliden. Blasphemy!!!!!!! Bob Gliden never drove a Funny Car. Some on you people worry about things that just aren't worth worrying about. Time to move on to something of real substance, like GTO options on Firebirds.

Old 09-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
They wouldn't get bashed if their back window simply said:
R.I.P. Burt "Bandit" Reynolds

They wanted publicity... gotta be careful what you wish for.
That would have been boring. Maybe they just wanted to do something fun for someone who's career was almost entirely based in fun. I mean I wouldn't argue that Smokey and the Bandit or The Longest yard should have won Oscars. but they were loads of fun.

You're right they wanted attention. A RIP sticker on the back window likely wouldn't have garnered it. That isn't inherently negative. If the attention was meant to be directed as a memorandum then whats the problem?

In this case you only have to be careful what you wish for because people are so damn negative and recreationally offended.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 09-12-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
The refrigerator is sitting in someone's garage for him to enjoy and those on some social media pages he shares it with. Also Its a vintage refrigerator so it was most likely made in the USA by a company in the USA. The other is a on a hood of a NASCAR Toyota Camry which everyone here knows is a paid advertising space which will be seen on national TV on a car representing a foreign car company. Shouldn't have to explain it.

Toyota should have never been allowed into the NASCAR series but NASCAR's focus went from driver safety to making money... but thats a whole other topic.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to stray off topic, but aren't Toyotas assembled in the US?

Old 09-12-2018, 06:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Not to stray off topic, but aren't Toyotas assembled in the US?
Many are.