THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
I know we have a lot of hatters here but I still like my optimas. I still have one on my trailer winch that’s 10-15 years old and still works great you would think just the sitting would kill it. Firebird has one in it from 2012.
The ones sold now-a-days are not the same. You will be lucky to get 3 years out of that over priced hype battery.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SRR For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2021, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
The ACDelco for the 2016 Malibu with start/stop is the 94RAGM. That's a fairly common battery size today and should be readily available.

It's readily available (10 in stock) at Summit for $152.99 with free shipping from their Ohio location.

Factory Motor Parts (an ACDelco warehouse distributor with multiple locations in Ohio) should also have been able to supply you with this battery.

Just because the big chain box stores (NAPA, O'Reillys, Advance, Auto Zone) didn't have one, doesn't mean the pros don't.

Before I retired from being a Territory Manager ($2.5 mil book of business) for a different ACDelco warehouse distributor (operating in MN, SD, NE and IA), I sold lots of batteries (including the 94RAGM) to my independent repair shops that stocked ACD batteries. Shops that didn't stock ACD could still call us and we would deliver.
I run a fleet service shop, Automotion LLC. Small operation with 90% of my business small fleets of 1 ton or lighter vehicles. Also service the family and friends vehicles of the fleet owners. This was one of those cars. Customers who need a battery for their dead car expect one in a few hours, which led me to my original post. I was just surprised by the lack of stock by the huge NAPA distribution chain having none East of the Mississippi and the lousy warranty on the house brands at Oreily's, and the crazy cost of one from Interstate. Summit would be a great alternative for someone willing to wait a couple days. I have commercial accounts with GM, Chrysler, Ford, Honda and a few other dealers in my area. Generally, 25% off on everything and sometimes better. This particular battery, the local Chevy dealers had a dealer hold on the parts. Only way to get one out the door when I inquired was at full retail. The song and dance I got was they had to hold a certain level of stock for the huge run on of dead customer batteries showing up in service. I have no problem with AC Delco batteries, actually like them.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^

FWIW - NAPA stands for No Auto Parts Anywhere...

At least that's what many of my independent shops told me.

Although we were primarily an ACD warehouse distributor (and stocked those parts in much more depth), we were also an authorized MTC, Mopar, Hyundai and Kia OE parts distributor. My shops frequently got parts faster through my stores than they did from the car dealers or FMP.

Old 02-10-2021, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
^

FWIW - NAPA stands for No Auto Parts Anywhere...

At least that's what many of my independent shops told me.

Although we were primarily an ACD warehouse distributor (and stocked those parts in much more depth), we were also an authorized MTC, Mopar, Hyundai and Kia OE parts distributor. My shops frequently got parts faster through my stores than they did from the car dealers or FMP.
That's funny, My NAPA guys will appreciate that if they haven't heard it. Availability is the worst as far as same day in my area of Dayton, OH. I like them because the same 3 grizzly guys have worked at that store for like 40 years. So 120 years of parts experience vs 2 months for the 4 pimple faced kids at Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, Pep Boys and Oreily's combined. If I had to depend on those stores daily, at this point in my life, I would just close.

Old 02-11-2021, 01:19 AM

Always heard it as Never Any Parts Available.

Old 02-11-2021, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2 weeks ago I needed a battery for my Honda. Auto zone $170, 18 month replacement, 2yr warranty no prorate??? Advance same deal. One NAPA $142, 18 month replacement, 72 month prorate, Deka. There was another NAPA closer, same battery same warranty $115. WTF? What's going on with battery prices?

Old 02-11-2021, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
2 weeks ago I needed a battery for my Honda. Auto zone $170, 18 month replacement, 2yr warranty no prorate??? Advance same deal. One NAPA $142, 18 month replacement, 72 month prorate, Deka. There was another NAPA closer, same battery same warranty $115. WTF? What's going on with battery prices?
$29.95 batteries went the way of Sunoco 260

Old 02-11-2021, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Champ may be able to speak to this better than me. But at least with NAPA, there are multiple pricing programs based on all kinds of complex factors. One time walk in customer pays the most, multi-time, recognized walk in customer gets a little break, military discount, In Ohio, Golden Buckeye card holder gets a break. (Over 50 Ohio resident)., AAA discount at some locations as well. Then the various break points for commercial customers and whether they are a cash commercial customer, credit card commercial customer or revolving credit commercial customer. Then on top of that, several levels of price breaks based on how much you buy monthly. Each break may be just a few % points to 10-15%. But it really adds up if you are a big customer. Ever look at the list price on a receipt from a parts store.? The List price is generally double or even more vs what you are paying. A shop that installs parts, generally charges the "list" price for the parts plus a labor charge to install it, generally at $125-150 per flat rate hour. That's why having a battery you purchase for $125.00 walk in cost $300.00 if you buy it and have it installed at say a Firestone service center. It pays to shop around as a general consumer of auto parts. Also why places like Rock Auto kick butt selling parts on the internet. All those layers of pricing and discounts are eliminated. You click, buy, pay shipping and tax and your done.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That would be a big surprise to the residents of St. Joseph, MO where ACDelco Professional Series batteries are made.

That Johnson Controls battery plant that I was able to tour in 2013 (I worked as a Territory Manager for an ACDelco warehouse distributor) was sold to Brookfield Business Partners (BBP) in 2018 for $13.2 BILLION. Clarios is the subsidiary of BBP that currently operates the plant in St. Joseph under the name of Johnson Controls.

I don't know about you, but $13.2 BILLION is a good chunk of change.

Clarios is a current member of the St Joseph Chamber of Commerce and this is a quote from the St Joseph Economic Development Partnership's website about the JCI plant in St. Joseph:
Good to here that.
Ya, he's not my go to guy for info. Have reliable contacts with GM SPAC and PARTECH depts.

GM retail on 94RGAM's is 224.95
BTY, Cadillac's eat AGM's like candy if owners let car sit to long without usage.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 02-11-2021, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya have to ask, Why does a 4 cylinder car need a 800+ CCA battery? Stop and restart or not. This car has at least a 100 amp alternator on it.
So here is how battery's got to Suck..
As recent ago as 1995 you could go to Sears and get a "Gold" Diehard with a 5 year replacement. After 4 its pro rated.
4 Years later, the pro rating started at 3 years.
By 2005. There was no more 5 years anything.
Meanwhile the CCA kept going up and up, even on batteries smaller than group 26.
Why did this happen? Electronics in cars don't use that many more Amps.
This was done by adding more plates in each of the 2.2 volt cells. Adding more plates in a small box means they are closer together. This means they will short out at a much faster rate, especially with constant charging, and loads.
AGM or not, close plates make battery life shorter.
AC DELCO used to have big batteries with nominal CCA and these could go 10 years in a pick up truck.
The more recent "need" for OVERKILL cold cranking amps is the reason why we buy batteries so often.
IMHO, not needed.
Seems US battery plants moved to Mexico, at least Exide did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2021, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Batteries that have higher LCA vs CCA last longer.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100