THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-15-2018, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Keith, pretty sure that is Charles "Chuck" Jordan. He was VP of Design under Bill Mitchell at the time, responsible for all auto exterior design.
Charles "Chuck" Jordan? Maybe.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-15-2018, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sure looks like him! Good job guys!

Now that Keith pointed out the blanks behind the bumper slots, I'm noticing these on many promotional photos.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 LeMans convertible - promo photo.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	480715  

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
The body lines of the 1966 Pontiac A-body were just beautiful, and it's not hard to understand why they sold so well. Chrysler and Ford mid-sized models appeared to be a couple years behind in styling. Pontiac sold over 300,000 Tempest, LeMans, and GTO models in 1966, second only to the Malibu/Chevelle.

Ever notice the resemblance of the front end styling and including the side fender view of the high line notch above the headlamp bezel between the 62 Pontiac "B" body and the 64 "A" body? Ever notice the resemblance between the 63 "B" body coke bottle body side styling and it's stacked headlamps and the 66 "A" body?
Ever notice how the Pontiac spear from 1956 to 1962 ( the exception was the 60 model) emerges from the spear into the coke bottle shape. The 62 Pontiac "B" body incorporates the spear and the coke bottle shape at the same time.

Old 04-15-2018, 04:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My parents had a 64 Star Chief. The stacked headlights on that car kept me a Pontiac fan of the 60s, and was that main reason I bought my first 66 GTO. Then the 63 GP, 66 Tempest Custom, and the 66 GTO I have now. Stacked headlights was the best looking style Pontiac had back then. To me nothing compared or looked as good after 1968.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Any idea who Delorean is talking to in that photo (not a quiz; that's a sincere question).
Dick Day from Car Craft?

Old 04-15-2018, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tenney wins! It is actually Dick Day from Car Craft Magazine.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone see the stainless bolt head caps on those bumpers? I don't see them on the '64 or the '66. Another trick to make it look more sleek.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
My parents had a 64 Star Chief. The stacked headlights on that car kept me a Pontiac fan of the 60s, and was that main reason I bought my first 66 GTO. Then the 63 GP, 66 Tempest Custom, and the 66 GTO I have now. Stacked headlights was the best looking style Pontiac had back then. To me nothing compared or looked as good after 1968.
IMO the best looking 1967 Pontiac is the 67 fill size Ford! Something happened to Pontiac styling for the "B" bodies after 1966.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
Ever notice the resemblance between the 63 "B" body coke bottle body side styling and it's stacked headlamps and the 66 "A" body?
Yes.

('65 shown as a surrogate)

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pontiac garage.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	480723  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 04-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Tenney wins! It is actually Dick Day from Car Craft Magazine.
Yep!

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...re-id163095262

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anybody know for sure that it is Dick Day in those pix?

Any chance Getty has the guy in those images misidentified?

Supposedly taken July 15, 1965. Would Delorean be showing off the styling of the new '66 GTO to a mag editor that early?

Plus, Car Craft was a rag devoted to customs and drag racing. Why would Dick Day be invited to eyeball new Pontiacs? Or be interested in them? Car Craft published an article about the '66 GTO in the Dec. '65 issue, penned by Roger Huntington. Milt Schornack among others was involved in the drag race evaluation. Seems to me that was their editorial interest.

Maybe just me, but I think it is much more plausible that Delorean posed for these pix on the grounds of GM Styling with the likes of Chuck Jordan as opposed to Dick Day.

Couldn't find any other pix of Dick Day to compare to the ones with Delorean.

Attached is a pic of a younger Dick Day with George Barris. Seems to have a narrower face to me.

Also attached is another pic of Chuck Jordan taken in the mid '60s.

I may be all wet but I think it is possible that the guy is being misidentified in those Getty images.

Keith, any chance somebody at GM today knows Chuck Jordan's son Mark (also a famous car designer)? Or could somebody contact him perhaps thru his LinkedIn page? Could possibly get a definitive ID that way.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dick Day.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	480779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chuck Jordan 1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	480780  

Old 04-16-2018, 01:11 PM

My vote would be that it's Chuck Jordan. The receding hair line and also check out the shoe style Sans laces.

Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Didn't intend to decide it by a vote!

Found another pic of Dick Day taken in May, '65 with Tony Nancy.

After carefully studying the hair lines, I decided it was in fact Dick Day with John Delorean.

Only then did I notice the clincher. See the bracelet on the right wrist??!! Looks the same in both pix to me.

I now agree, Tenney got it right!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dick Day 1.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	480808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dick Day 2.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	480809  

Old 04-16-2018, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love this thread. I was ready to call it Chuck Jordon until the bracelet theory emerged! Dick Day for the Win!

BJ

Old 04-16-2018, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hope that whoever "customized" the '67 'Vette was forced to drive it for a year!

Old 04-16-2018, 11:16 PM

Just a coincidence I'm sure,but the Vette was another Barris creation that was rejected as the Batmobile. I believe Barris kept it for many years.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Didn't intend to decide it by a vote!

Found another pic of Dick Day taken in May, '65 with Tony Nancy.

After carefully studying the hair lines, I decided it was in fact Dick Day with John Delorean.

Only then did I notice the clincher. See the bracelet on the right wrist??!! Looks the same in both pix to me.

I now agree, Tenney got it right!
The ears decided it for me right away. Did you know a person's ears are even more distinguishing than a fingerprint and are actually used by some agencies as identification? They never change over your lifetime except that they get a little longer in old age. Look at the lobe area on these two guys.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick Day really gets around...(lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I hope that whoever "customized" the '67 'Vette was forced to drive it for a year!
Naturally, there is a story behind the "customized" Corvette:

This comes from Paul Deesen, designer of the front end of the '65 Grand Prix, inventor of the redline tire, designer of the original GTO emblem, and resident Design Studio prankster. I asked him about the photo the last time this photo was posted. I hope he doesn't mind me sharing this:

"Hi keith

Your location of the photo was right on

You came to the right party!!

I'll try to make this as short as possible

This whole thing started with Stan Wilen, Chief designer in Old's. Both of us were friends from Pratt Inst. and co authors of practical jokes. Stan alerted me of the forth coming visit of Adam West, TV's famous Batman. What an opportunity for some fun. I got right on it with another cohort in crime, Emil Zowader.

Our exhibit people had arranged all of Design Staff's fiberglass show goodies in a circle outside the West Exec garage.
While Chuck entertained Adam inside the studios, Chucks Corvette was placed in the center of the circle of interest. completely decorated in "very tasteful' decor.

Chuck's response was one of surprise. He shouted "Hay! that's my car!!!"

There are two more "That's the rest of the stories" to follow.. More "Dumb height" as My German Grandmother would say

It involved Chuck's beautiful Daytona Ferrari and another mystery car. Ha Ha

I'll send that to you at a later date as there are some attachments that are probably too big to send at one time.

Best regards for bigger and better laughs

Paul"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	deesen gp.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	480827  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-17-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul is such a cut up.

They had a guy at the studio that bought a new Corvette and was super protective of it.

One day a bunch of the guys went out an poured a quart of oil on the pavement below the car, and then hid so they could watch as the poor owner crawled all over his new car trying to figure out where the oil was leaking from.

He also mentioned that it was fairly common for the Studio execs and worker bees to take a tour of the parking lot, so they could discuss what they liked, didn't like, or find new ideas.

Paul had just bought a used '56 Corvette but, as a young father, after the expenditure was too broke to buy new white wall tires for it. He raided his children's crayon box, found the white crayon, and diligently applied a white stripe to his (previously) black wall tires.

After a while the white started looking pretty janky so back to the crayon box he went. He couldn't find the white crayon but the red crayon was prominently displayed.

Viola. The group liked the red line effect so they approached Goodyear with the idea. Goodyear didn't want to do it but Uniroyal was interested, and the rest is history.

K

Old 04-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I got right on it with another cohort in crime, Emil Zowader (sic).
I actually worked with his accomplice, the aforementioned Emil Zowada, many years later (1994 ish).

The GMT800 pickups were the first time we tried to do any kind of underhood appearance work, with engine covers and closeouts and such. Emil was the Studio rep watching over us as we engineered the components.

It was my first experience with any kind of Studio interface. The original air box was designed with "insie" ditches, but the time we got the design solidified "insies" were "out" and "outsies" were "in". I had to re-do the air cleaner surface to have pronounced ribs to match the engine cover.

The Studio guys also abhor straight lines ("...there are no straight lines in nature"...they are wont to say) so they demanded a crowned surface to avoid the appearance of being concave. Although you can't tell by looking the surface has a 5280mm radius both fore/aft and side to side.

K
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	air induction.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	480828  

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 04-17-2018 at 11:59 AM.