Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post

DUH!

The main purpose is to make more power.

Sorry John I disagree...
thermal barrier coatings are intended to protect.

Added thermal protection allows the opportunity to push thermal thresholds. Pushing thermal thresholds further may allow for more power to be made or simply extend the amount of time before a piston melts or other heat related catastrophe.

I never got around to testing coatings when I was attempting to get a fan cooled 2 stroke to make the power levels of same size liquid cooled motor.
But I did find thresholds(mostly the hard way) and I did find ways to cool the heads/pistons enough to push a bit further and increase power and hold together long enough to go slightly over a 1/4 mile without caving or nuking a piston.
Most races were under 1/8 mile and I quickly learned I wasnt going to survive a long distance run down the lake.I knew how long I could run at 1350,1400, and 1450 degree egt's. (1350 is considered really pushin things when you have oil mixed with your gas)

I had near doubled my factory power... I was right in power range of the hot factory liquid cooled motors same cc. Separate classes for fan motors had about dried up... At that point I wasnt spendin any more $$$ to test any further... (only one or two pistons but re-nicasil the jugs and gaskets sets etc. every week adds up quick) A factory liquid with a few tweaks would eat my azz.

Do I think heat barrier coatings might have allowed more power? A few times I considered stoppin by Swaintech... I think probably... but not likely much. Hard to quantify unknowns. I didnt feel coating costs worth the risks of findin the new limit it MIGHT give me.

For sake of this discussion I wish I had.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
thermal barrier coatings are intended to protect.
Maybe on the current products?

My premise is they should keep the heat in the chamber and away from the pistons, valves, head chamber, etc if done right.

It would make more power.

The exhaust stroke would evacuate what is left like a normal exhaust stroke.

More BTU's burned, more power.

Less combustion heat lost to the water cooling system, metal, etc. makes more power.

If it can make more power, you can add more fuel to make more power.

If 1/3rd of the power stroke is wasted to heat going where it doesn't do any good, and one can 'reclaim' a percentage of that wasted heat, that's free power and MORE HP.

But, I will wait on the flaming as usual.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Boost Engineer

Said it before: If you add a Tablespoon of water to Lake Michigan, did it raise the level of the water in the lake? Yes, by 1 tablespoons worth of new volume. Is the guy on the beach going to notice a difference, No way in h*ll.

So back on the thermal coating deal. Did the coating add a few BTUs to the heat in the cylinder? Absolutely.
Did it really make a difference in the track times vs the increased durability of the engine and the ability to add more NOS?
Probably that was the real gain with the coating not the BTU increase.

Most of the guys around have read just enough "engineering" information on the web to make conclusions that are totally wrong. Even real world data from hundreds of hours of testing can be looked at different ways depending on your 'agenda' and what you are trying to sell.

Just saying.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Said it before: If you add a Tablespoon of water to Lake Michigan, did it raise the level of the water in the lake? Yes, by 1 tablespoons worth of new volume. Is the guy on the beach going to notice a difference, No way in h*ll.

Tom Vaught
LMAO that's good! but Tom you know that some people, just to argue, will say that they noticed

Old 01-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Is it possible the additional tablespoon of water that was added was additional spill over at some damn, or creek, river, pond, and the lake water level remained the same even though a tablespoon of water was added to the lake? Is it possible that as soon as you started adding the tablespoon of water to the lake, a fisherman somewhere pulled a fish out of the water lowering the level of the lake, and you added the tablespoon of water and measured the lake level and it was lower?

The Following User Says Thank You to Motor Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2014, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

So back on the thermal coating deal. Did the coating add a few BTUs to the heat in the cylinder? Absolutely.
Did it really make a difference in the track times vs the increased durability of the engine and the ability to add more NOS?
Probably that was the real gain with the coating not the BTU increase.

Most of the guys around have read just enough "engineering" information on the web to make conclusions that are totally wrong. Even real world data from hundreds of hours of testing can be looked at different ways depending on your 'agenda' and what you are trying to sell.

Just saying.

Tom Vaught
Thats a pretty good analogy there Tom. And I like analogies. Well said....

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-daddy View Post
Is it possible the additional tablespoon of water that was added was additional spill over at some damn, or creek, river, pond, and the lake water level remained the same even though a tablespoon of water was added to the lake? Is it possible that as soon as you started adding the tablespoon of water to the lake, a fisherman somewhere pulled a fish out of the water lowering the level of the lake, and you added the tablespoon of water and measured the lake level and it was lower?
What about all the kids Taking a wiz while swimming? Won't that increase the temperature?

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
What about all the kids Taking a wiz while swimming? Won't that increase the temperature?
The Second Law of Thermodynamics guarantees that the equilibrium point of the different temperatures will be between those temperatures, so each temperature will change towards that point when the liquids combine. If the temp of the piss is 98.6 degrees, and the water temp is 100 degrees, then the water temp will be cooler after the kid takes a piss in the lake. 'Course, Lake Michigan is probably 33 degrees now if you can find some liquid water amongst the ice. Brrrrrrrrr!!! NC is great!

Last edited by Motor Daddy; 01-20-2014 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor-daddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Excellent Points Guys!

That is my point:

You KNOW that you added the additional tablespoon of water to the lake. That is a fact.
Now did you have a offsetting factor that reduced the amount in the lake by one tablespoon (that you were not aware of) impact the final result, no way to tell.

Too many variables. but you will always have someone say that "this increase was caused by this factor".

The guy struck by Lightning was probably in the wrong spot, vs the theory that the guy pi$$ed off some God from Asgard. But some people will believe that Asgard stuff too.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thats a pretty good analogy there Tom. And I like analogies. Well said....
That doesn't surprise me one bit.

It is an analogy, just not a good one in this thread.

How about if you take that tablespoon of water and drop it down the throat of your carb while it's idling?

Does it make a difference?

Will it make me happier?

Yes.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-20-2014, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since your on the subject of water temp...
Anyone have the chemical formula of how/why hot water freezes faster then cold when making ice cubes?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-20-2014, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
That doesn't surprise me one bit.

It is an analogy, just not a good one in this thread.

How about if you take that tablespoon of water and drop it down the throat of your carb while it's idling?

Does it make a difference?

Will it make me happier?

Yes.

It was an excellent analogy. Just didn't make your love affair with your ideas a reality. Analogies are great for helping guys like you understand the difficult things in life. Tom tried to let you down slowly....another analogy....

As far as the tablespoon of water.....how much difference it makes would depend on how fast its "dropped" down the carb and a few other factors......care to continue? I'd love to hear your Ideas about what might happen and why it MIGHT make you happy.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey -- I believe in Asgard

Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Anyone have the chemical formula of how/why hot water freezes faster then cold when making ice cubes?
Yes.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good.
Should of said warm vs cool.
Can you let the "science world" know cause they their still arguing how/why it happens.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Good.
Should of said warm vs cool.
Can you let the "science world" know cause they their still arguing how/why it happens.
He could tell you but then he would have to kill you.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:55 PM
Suspended

1. Fill an 8 oz glass with water and fill 8 oz of water into an air sprayer that sprays a high volume of water in a short amount of time, under a high pressure, and sprays an extremely fine mist.

2. Go to a damn cold area, but remain warm until the start.

3. Place the glass of water in the cold and spray the water from the sprayer at the same time.

4. The sprayer water freezes almost instantly in thin air!

5. The glass of water is still water.

6. End result is that less dense water freezes faster than more dense water.

7. Given two identical masses of water, one a higher temp than the other, the higher temp mass is less dense.

8. Less dense water freezes faster than more dense water, remember?

Last edited by Motor Daddy; 01-20-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Another excellent analogy, MD, that people can understand easily.

Not really the Formula requested but good enough for a guy like me.

Tom Vaught

Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This Page 29 disappoints me. I've read better ramblings in the clubhouse.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NOW THIS COATING WORKS!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rMcRJVY1-0

ph. 248-259-6696