Old 04-28-2016, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't pay any attention to Brad, he's nuts! Seriously though, do what you want with the car, I don't care for hybrid cars myself, but Brad is right, it could work and most people wouldn't notice the difference.

Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPKind View Post
Don't pay any attention to Brad, he's nuts! Seriously though, do what you want with the car, I don't care for hybrid cars myself, but Brad is right, it could work and most people wouldn't notice the difference.
Hey, I'M so dumb that when I first saw my '65 Parisienne Convertible, and it had a '66 front clip on it, I DID NOT KNOW.

I didn't care..... I just liked the car so I bought it. Learned an awful lot since then though.

But the point is, Brad is right. You have a decent enough clip on the car, I'd run with that, fix the car to driver standard and make it look good. MOST people would not know what's right or wrong about it but YOU can enjoy it. And as you progress in your Pontiac learning experience, you will find people who are helpful and will point you in the right direction towards building up all the necessary parts you might want to one day install a '65 clip.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM

Was able to get some wrench time after church yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0590.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	428528   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0591.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	428529  

Old 05-16-2016, 01:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good progress, Ron! You're on your way. Remember to take (and post!) lots of pics!

Old 05-16-2016, 07:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Was able to get some wrench time after church yesterday.
Ron, first thing I'd be losing is that York A/C compressor. Ugly and always in the way.
Easy to find and fit a genuine GM A6 compressor if you want to retain the A/C in the car.
Ian

Old 05-16-2016, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
Ron, first thing I'd be losing is that York A/C compressor. Ugly and always in the way.
Easy to find and fit a genuine GM A6 compressor if you want to retain the A/C in the car.
Ian
The problem with using an A6 compressor with an aftermarket system (York compressor) is locating the associated brackets for that particular installation. As I recall, the brackets on Dad's '68 Catalina were totally different than the brackets on my '72 Catalina and '72 Grand Prix. For a '65, this could prove difficult.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-16-2016, 10:07 PM

The odds are we won't be putting AC back in the car. Will probably be leaving the heater off as well. I really don't see us using the car that much in the winter. Especially our winters.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Northern KY? Florence, Ft Thomas, Erlanger?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-17-2016, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Northern KY? Florence, Ft Thomas, Erlanger?
Pikeville. Pretty much as far east as you can go without being in Virginia.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks fairly complete and unmolested aside from the '66 front clip parts. Take lots of pictures, videos, and bag ALL of the hardware with descriptions using notecards of where exactly that clip, bolt, or nut was found. My advice is to put the heater system back in. It's not a big deal to do, and if you sell it, it's there. But, if you have a stash of very rare heater delete plates for '65 Pontiacs, which would be cool to see, keep it functional. Some guys like the retro aftermarket A/C. I'd carefully remove it and sell it whole to help fund your project.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBurgundy View Post
Pikeville. Pretty much as far east as you can go without being in Virginia.
Know the area. MIL lives in Knox Co., BIL lives in Hazard.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2016, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Franks pontiac parts has a 65 tail panel including what's rusted out in your trunk seal. $300 i think. they also have the remains of a 65 star chief, not sure if it shared the bonne platform or not. comes complete with trunk opening and rear quarters but, its a 4dr. He is a good source for parts as is indiana pontiacs when they have an open house which i believe is once a month. Check out their FB page to see the next open house. I bought the C2C trunk for my 64 GP it went in fine. Ames, OPGI, Impala dealers for some stuff, ebay, swaps. Lots of places to find parts if you look long enough. I got a lot of my parts just because i was looking at the right time.

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Frank's are good folks to deal with. Steve Snyder has an open house coming up June 4th. His place is up at Muncie,IN. That's about a hour northeast of Indy (right off I-69N).

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Always good trinkets at Steve's too!

My wife says she'd llike my car a lot more if it wasn't mine.

64 Grand Prix 389 .030, 1.65 Scorpion Rollers, Tripower, RARE Long Branch, Custom Stainless Exhaust and mufflers, 3.90 posi 200-4R. 068 cam.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:26 PM

I've been out of town for the past few weekends so not much has been done to the car. But I was able to get a little done over the long weekend. The entire front clip has been removed, the windshield is out (will have to be replaced unfortunately), and the majority of the accessories have been removed from the front of the engine. Hopefully this coming weekend I can get the engine / trans ready to pull.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0729.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	432152   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	432153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0731.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	432154  

Old 09-01-2016, 03:06 PM

Finally found the time last night to pull the engine and trans. Soooo much atf...complete blood bath. But it's out. Hope to tear it down over the long weekend!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	435904   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	435905  

Old 09-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nothing a good pressure washing and sand blasting won't cure.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep on keepin' on.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

theres a guy in Pikeville i know..he has a ton of pontiac stuff i mean a lot..he hunts it down..i cant remember his name..and ive been to his place...

he owns a couple coal trucks..and he has a ton of pontiac stuff..he sells...dang...let me think about it if youre in Pikeville i guarantee you know him..his mom is a Judge(WAS)dang..i just cant remeber his name

His first name is Steve, i am almost sure....its all i can remember..let me think on it

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 09-01-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
theres a guy in Pikeville i know..he has a ton of pontiac stuff i mean a lot..he hunts it down..i cant remember his name..and ive been to his place...

he owns a couple coal trucks..and he has a ton of pontiac stuff..he sells...dang...let me think about it if youre in Pikeville i guarantee you know him..his mom is a Judge(WAS)dang..i just cant remeber his name

His first name is Steve, i am almost sure....its all i can remember..let me think on it
I live in Pikeville. Is his last name Roberts?