Old 01-06-2010, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Finally ordered the rotating assembly and ARP fasteners today. Dropping off the intake tomorrow for port matching with the heads.

I'll post some cam numbers once I know what the grind will be. I'm hoping to get the motor done in the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm removing the steering box today. O'Reiley's had them in their warehouse for $116. And they had them referenced to the 68 GTO, not a T/A box. They also ordered a new high pressure hose. I'll post the results of that swap. Hopefully as soon as tonight. Off to the shop, DANG it's cold!!!! For Georgia, anyway...

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well I got very little done today. I had to replace an axel seal and the parking brake shoes on my truck...boring but necessary. I have the steering box ready to come out with the removal of the pitman arm and one mounting bolt. Should be out first thing in the morning.

I hope to get the new box in tomorrow but I have tons of other stuff to do. Plus the weather guessers are calling for snow...1-3 inches...around here that equals complete shutdown...kinda funny.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 01-07-2010, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dave Krouger if i remerber right, Had the best 68 photos of what he done to his 68 that i have ever seen.... WOW it was super nice, He dont post on PY no more. SAD

Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got the new steering box in today, it's now 2-3/4 lock to lock. That was very easy to do, a direct bolt in. It ended up costing $126 total.

I didn't take any pics, I'll get some tomorrow.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here is a pic of the new box in place-

I also am trying to figure out the best way to replace the evaporator core in the AC box-

Can I break the box open without taking it off the firewall and get to the evaporator?

I started to remove everything from the firewall for cleaning and painting today. I took the chicken wire and lower windshield trim off. I cleaned out the cowling where the windshield wiper mechanisms are...you just gotta love southern cars! ZERO rust anywhere. I almost took pics but had to head out. I may snap a few more tomorrow.

On another note-
I'm finding it hard to stay motivated on this one for some reason...maybe it's just the cold...

Old 01-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink

You have some good photos of how it can be took apart.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not much has happened...I did get the firewall stripped and the entire engine bay cleaned. All of the wiring and plumbing for the vacuum hideaway headlight system has been redone. I removed the front brake line between the master cylinder and the distribution block. I'll be installing a line lock that will be almost completely invisible.

I should have it painted on Monday...then everything goes back in. At that point I'm just waiting on the engine to be ready. I hate waiting...but it should be worth it!

I'll get some more pics...

Old 01-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
Not much has happened...I did get the firewall stripped and the entire engine bay cleaned. All of the wiring and plumbing for the vacuum hideaway headlight system has been redone. I removed the front brake line between the master cylinder and the distribution block. I'll be installing a line lock that will be almost completely invisible.

I should have it painted on Monday...then everything goes back in. At that point I'm just waiting on the engine to be ready. I hate waiting...but it should be worth it!

I'll get some more pics...
You know, I don't think I've ever noticed that you were in Atlanta. I'm working on a '68 also and I'm just south of the Hartsfield Airport. Hard to find time right now but I plan to pick my engine up from Kyle Tew next Saturday. I hope to get my car painted some time this year.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
You know, I don't think I've ever noticed that you were in Atlanta. I'm working on a '68 also and I'm just south of the Hartsfield Airport. Hard to find time right now but I plan to pick my engine up from Kyle Tew next Saturday. I hope to get my car painted some time this year.
We're about an hour and a half from each other. I'm about 45 minutes NE of Atlanta on I-85.

Do you have a paint shop in mind or are you going to do it yourself?

Is Kyle Tew a local engine builder?

Old 01-18-2010, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270win View Post
We're about an hour and a half from each other. I'm about 45 minutes NE of Atlanta on I-85.

Do you have a paint shop in mind or are you going to do it yourself?

Is Kyle Tew a local engine builder?
I've got a friend south of Atlanta that I've been dealing with for a long time. He's got a restoration business, specializing in Pontiacs, with a paint booth. I've been doing body work on it in my spare time but he'll paint it for me.
Same thing with Kyle. He's a friend that works at a Southside engine building shop and who happens to love Pontiacs. This is the first engine he's done for me but I've known him for a while and his reputation is very good in the Pontiac community.
Both guys are members here in fact.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds almost exactly like my situation. I have a buddy that will paint the car if I prep it and buy all the materials. I met with him on Saturday and he was trying to talk me out of painting the car. I'll probably end up waiting a while on that anyway as the car looks pretty good as is.

I'll be laying down the paint in the engine bay today....after taping everything and putting petroleum jelly on the really small front end parts that are too difficult to tape. A little petroleum jelly will make it easy to wipe the paint off of the shock bolts, etc so it all looks brand new and not just painted over. I'll try to get some pics today too. I need to buy a cheap point and shoot digital rather than using my cell phone...

Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been watching your thread with special interest since I also live in Georgia.

If you guys figure out how to get bodywork and paint done in the Atlanta area let me know. I'll be looking seriously for a shop later this year to do minor bodywork, prep and paint my car and I haven't found anyone around Augusta that I would give it to. My dad lives in Atlanta and is willing (actually eager) to watch after it if I find a good place there.

In my case I am less concerned about the cost than I am someone getting on it and doing it right. I can live with a few months, but I have heard so many horror stories about waiting up to a year...

I took care of detailing everything underneath and in the engine bay by myself last year, and right now tuning and debugging the new drivetrain so it sounds like I am a bit ahead of you. My plan is to get all the mechanicals really right before tackling the body so not in a big rush just yet.

Walt

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 01-18-2010, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontGuy View Post
I've been watching your thread with special interest since I also live in Georgia.

If you guys figure out how to get bodywork and paint done in the Atlanta area let me know. I'll be looking seriously for a shop later this year to do minor bodywork, prep and paint my car and I haven't found anyone around Augusta that I would give it to. My dad lives in Atlanta and is willing (actually eager) to watch after it if I find a good place there.

In my case I am less concerned about the cost than I am someone getting on it and doing it right. I can live with a few months, but I have heard so many horror stories about waiting up to a year...
I've got a guy that does great work and his pricing is better than what I've seen quoted here. How nice of a job are you looking for?

Old 01-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the key is to stick with a restorer..Not a collision type body shop.
A restorer will generally give you any two of the following...
1. Good
2. Fast
3. Cheap
Good and Fast won't be Cheap
Good and Cheap won't be Fast
Fast and Cheap won't be Good.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I think the key is to stick with a restorer..Not a collision type body shop.
A restorer will generally give you any two of the following...
1. Good
2. Fast
3. Cheap
Good and Fast won't be Cheap
Good and Cheap won't be Fast
Fast and Cheap won't be Good.
That's true, generally speaking. I have two good guys that I use. Both work for paint shops and they do my stuff on the side. They're not fast, but they are both very good and not terribly expensive. I can post some pics of my Nova if you want to see what one of them can do.

Only draw back would be that it wouldn't be done through an actual shop. I know and trust them both, but I would be hesitant to use someone I don't know...either of then could also do the work through the shops they work for too. But they're good enough that it's not cheap.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got absolutely nothing done on the car today...I did buy a cheapo point and shoot camera though. A buddy of mine has a 99' Tahoe that needed a trans swap so that pretty much consumed the day...maybe tomorrow.

No more news on the engine yet...got some questions I'll post in the street section.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I am looking for something thats pretty good and reasonably fast so I don't expect it will be particularly cheap!

Seriously I am working to get my car to really nice weekend driver condition- I don't need show quality, but a good finish with no defects that anyone but car guys would really notice. Money is not a big issue but like anyone else I want a job that is worth the price tag. I already spent far more during the past year than the car is ever likely to be worth, but I've owned it for almost 12 years, really like it, and don't intend to sell it.

Yes I need someone that does restoration work, not collision work. It is very sound, but like most cars that are 40 years old it has a couple of coats of paint on it, some old poorly done repairs, plenty of minor dings, and a bit of rust in the typical areas. The prep work needed to get it right will probably take a lot more time than the painting. The biggest concern I have about somebody doing it "on the side" is that it might take forever to get it back.

Like I said I'm not in a rush right now- probably some time late this year. But since getting it done in Augusta looks very unlikely I am already looking for leads on Atlanta options.

Walt

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 01-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I did all the body and prep work on my Nova and Jack, one of the guys I'm talking about did the final wet sand, paint, clear and wet/sand and buff. He only charged me $1000 and we used my shop for everything but the spraying. He has access to a booth for that.

I paid $500 for the paint/clear and I had the primer, tape and paper on hand. Literally a $1500 paint job! I know he's going to want more for the GTO so I talked to the other guy, Jason, about it this past weekend. I'll let you know his quote when I get it. But my car has a pretty good body so I'm thinking prep work will be minimal...relatively anyway...

Anyway, here's the Nova Jack did-

Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

270 Win, I remember seeing pics of the Nova before. Very nice work on that.

Walt, the guy I mentioned earlier does great work and is reasonable but he's pretty busy most of the time and you really can't be in a hurry with him doing the work for you. I'll be glad to pass his info on to you if you can't find anyone else you want to do it.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yeah, I need to stop posting pics of that car here, I'm like someone's grandparents, even if I've shown you the pictures before, I still show you again...and again...LOL!

I did get some pics of the engine parts today, Ill put those up tonight.