Old 05-27-2010, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzurb View Post
ok. i noticed yesterday that my original one is a 3 core.
Most AL radiators have 1" tubes, as opposed to the 3/8" (or so) on a copper/brass unit. That's why they usually feature 2 'oval' tubes vs. a 4 tube.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Put the radiator in yesterday and went for some local runs, what a difference, my 180 degree thermostat controlled fan kept cycling in and out (before it went on and stayed on). Today went on a 50 mile ride at 70-75 mph and the temp stayed around 190 degrees. Went down a big hill on the interstate, popped it into neutural and the temp went up real fast, I guess we need the rpm's to keep the coolant flowing.

Aluminum radiator maybe passe but sure works for my ride, and for $170 it is no big deal.

Original 1977 Firebird / Welded tube frame connectors
TH350 with shift kit / 400 bored/stroked to 455 by PDude
OCD=Waxing and polishing your oil filter
SICK=wetsanding your exhaust pipe
Old 05-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone know what size tubes are in the "three-tube" aluminum radiators?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
Anyone know what size tubes are in the "three-tube" aluminum radiators?
You will probably have to check the specs on whichever radiator you're looking at. There are differences in tube sizes depending on the brand.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 PM

OK...based on this thread, I ordered a rad from Oscar's this afternoon. They reccommended the 3 tube for my application('68 bird, 500+ HP). 3 X 3/4" tubes.

My engine always seems to be on the brink of overheating. 190 is the coolest it ever runs. Only had to pull over once, last October in stop and go traffic at 91* (230 degrees!!!) But, Its worth the $234 not to ever have to worry about overheating again.

I'll post my results...

Old 06-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandevilleBird View Post
OK...based on this thread, I ordered a rad from Oscar's this afternoon. They reccommended the 3 tube for my application('68 bird, 500+ HP). 3 X 3/4" tubes.

My engine always seems to be on the brink of overheating. 190 is the coolest it ever runs. Only had to pull over once, last October in stop and go traffic at 91* (230 degrees!!!) But, Its worth the $234 not to ever have to worry about overheating again.

I'll post my results...

Good stuff Mandeville - your in the heart of heat down there. I've got some family there and it gets hot.

I'd guess that 2x1" tubes = 2 inches total and 3x.75 = 2.25 inches total. Must be better than standard aluminum radiators w/ 2" total?? Tell us how it works..

Old 06-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The radiator I got had a rubber sleeve on the top hose connection. I took the sleeve off, the hose seemed to be too big, I tighten the clamp down. No leaks, however I was wondering if the that sleeve should of stayed on?

Old 06-06-2010, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The sleeve is an adapter for larger radiator hoses ... maybe like yours. If your hose fits over the inlet tube with the rubber sleeve then I'd recommend using the sleeve.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1968-...item1e5ce13249

Anyone have experience with these guys?

Edit: I was looking at the dimensions and there radiator seems to be bigger than the other ones offered on Ebay. "19 1/4" high (incl cap) x 33 1/4" wide." Will these clear the factory fan shroud?

Last edited by 1978 T/A; 07-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:09 PM

I installed a 3 core in my '68 Firebird. Fan shroud fits fine. Its a CHAMPION brand radiator.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the input. I am leaning towards the Ledfoot Racing off Ebay.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 AM

I just installed one of Oscar's all aluminum radiators in my Jeep Wrangler.
Be advised (if you aren't already) that they are in fact MADE IN CHINA.
I didn't know that until it showed up, or I wouldn't have bought it.
FWIW though, it does look like a decent piece, and it fits well.
Lifetime warranty too.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Made in USA (Bay City, Michigan) a Mark 7 Radiator will out perform these eBay specials for they use 1 1/4 tubes and .080 thick tanks. They are also die formed tanks just like the original Harrisons (with grooves spaced accordingly), and anodizing of multiple colors are available as an option. Outstanding quality, pefect hand tig welds, excellent components lend to a very high quality product. Dimensions are factory correct so factory acessories bolt right up. They are build custom aluminum fan shrouds with engraving of anything you can imagine, names, logos, etc...

wwwmark7radiators.com This is what I own (67 GTO manual trasmission radiator) and highly reccomend them. You get what you pay for in the long run, why try to protect your cars most costly component (engine) to a thin walled, small tubed NON USA built product. The difference is not unlike a Snap-On tool verses a Harbor Freight brand.

The Harbor Freight may get you by for a while but when you wrench for a living you will not find one in any mechanics tool chest. Quality, you get what you pay for really is a true statement, pay me now or pay the price later is another good one. The satisfaction of a cheap price is long forgotten when a product fails, think about that when you are sitting on the side of the road.

Guy's what I am getting at is who the hell cares if it has a lifetime warranty with a cheap eBay price when you are stuck in traffic with an overheated car and your engines life is at stake or your family is stranded, but then I guess you could explain to them what a wonderful deal you got and it has a lifetime warranty while you are walking for help. Think long and hard about where and how you spend your hard earned dollars. Keep your money on this side of the pond and support our American workers, every dollar does matter. I hope your cheap radiators don't fail you but then again that is the risk you take. Might as well take it in for a Maco paint job too, for $ 300.00 it must be quality.

I know I am coming off hard, it is just that I want to drive the point home to not go cheap on such an important component for your driving pleasure.

Tim john---

Old 07-10-2010, 11:59 AM

First off, I just want to say that I read these forums just about everyday but haven't actually logged in for over a year. I've got a 69 GTO with a 462 that has always run hot. I don't even usually try to drive it on days that it's near 80 as I know it's just going to end up being a stressfull drive watching the temp gage climb up to 220 (have even hit 230). I purchased the Champion 3 row from Ledfoot racing a couple of weeks ago based on this thread, installed it last night and just got back from a 15 minute test drive. It ran right under 190 most of the time and only hit 193 when I sat at a light for a long time after just beating on it pretty hard. It's about 84 out right now so I'm ecstatic! I'm going to be giving it a 40 minute drive this afternoon at about 2 so we'll see if this continues. Just had to post something after this success!

Old 07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
First off, I just want to say that I read these forums just about everyday but haven't actually logged in for over a year. I've got a 69 GTO with a 462 that has always run hot. I don't even usually try to drive it on days that it's near 80 as I know it's just going to end up being a stressfull drive watching the temp gage climb up to 220 (have even hit 230). I purchased the Champion 3 row from Ledfoot racing a couple of weeks ago based on this thread, installed it last night and just got back from a 15 minute test drive. It ran right under 190 most of the time and only hit 193 when I sat at a light for a long time after just beating on it pretty hard. It's about 84 out right now so I'm ecstatic! I'm going to be giving it a 40 minute drive this afternoon at about 2 so we'll see if this continues. Just had to post something after this success!

Old 07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
That's great! Mine is going to be cooling a 468 and I've been concerned about whether it'll do it or not. It's been 97-103 down here so I'm hoping mine will do the job.

Congrats! Let us know how the longer drive goes.

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is good to here guys! I guess I should have no problem cooling my little ol 400 then.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:18 PM

I just got back from the get together that I went to (What a great night for a drive!). Driving it about 45 minutes this afternoon, the highest I saw was about 210 in stop in go traffic at 86 degrees outside. Driving home tonight it never got above 195. There's no way I could have driving on a day like today before the switch and this is a good 20 degree improvement. I'm very pleased but would still like to try and get it a little lower for when it's warmer out. The radiator's tight to the fan shroud but there's quite a gap in front of it where it could be pulling hot air from the engine bay. I'm wondering if it would help to try and seal that of a little. Any thoughts?

Old 07-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've been thinking about using dual electric fans on mine instaed of the engine driven fan...wonder if that would make a difference???

68' GTO 500+HP 10.25:1 #16 iron headed pump gas street motor...YES, it can be done!
Old 09-09-2010, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim john View Post
Made in USA (Bay City, Michigan) a Mark 7 Radiator will out perform these eBay specials for they use 1 1/4 tubes and .080 thick tanks. They are also die formed tanks just like the original Harrisons (with grooves spaced accordingly), and anodizing of multiple colors are available as an option. Outstanding quality, pefect hand tig welds, excellent components lend to a very high quality product. Dimensions are factory correct so factory acessories bolt right up. They are build custom aluminum fan shrouds with engraving of anything you can imagine, names, logos, etc...

wwwmark7radiators.com This is what I own (67 GTO manual trasmission radiator) and highly reccomend them. You get what you pay for in the long run, why try to protect your cars most costly component (engine) to a thin walled, small tubed NON USA built product. The difference is not unlike a Snap-On tool verses a Harbor Freight brand.

The Harbor Freight may get you by for a while but when you wrench for a living you will not find one in any mechanics tool chest. Quality, you get what you pay for really is a true statement, pay me now or pay the price later is another good one. The satisfaction of a cheap price is long forgotten when a product fails, think about that when you are sitting on the side of the road.

Guy's what I am getting at is who the hell cares if it has a lifetime warranty with a cheap eBay price when you are stuck in traffic with an overheated car and your engines life is at stake or your family is stranded, but then I guess you could explain to them what a wonderful deal you got and it has a lifetime warranty while you are walking for help. Think long and hard about where and how you spend your hard earned dollars. Keep your money on this side of the pond and support our American workers, every dollar does matter. I hope your cheap radiators don't fail you but then again that is the risk you take. Might as well take it in for a Maco paint job too, for $ 300.00 it must be quality.

I know I am coming off hard, it is just that I want to drive the point home to not go cheap on such an important component for your driving pleasure.

Tim john---
Some very good points here...I'm ditching my desert cooler for the MARK!