Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Lou, Marty Palbykin made 1600 HP with a stock 67 block, and it lived, so 1100 hp doesn't impress me that much when bragging about the "durability of the block". Marty went into the 6s with a 406 cid engine and cast iron #62 head so 1100 hp with well ported CV-1 heads doesn't impress me that much. Marty's 406 engine was 129 inches smaller vs a 535 and his engine was 61 cid smaller than the CV-1 engine and ran 2 seconds faster.

I AM HAPPY that they ran a 8.04 et BUT this was on SPRAY at 2850 lbs (basically the same weight as Marty's GTO so what is your point? (BOOST IS BOOST whether with a Turbo or from a bottle).

Block Durability? HP? ET? MPH?

It has all been done before and at substantially quicker ETs, higher MPH, much more durability was shown with Marty's Block (after 3 years) vs bragging about a 467 engine (not blowing up) with a little bit of spray and 1100 hp with a set of CV-1 Heads installed.

And that is a fact.

Tom Vaught
Nothing seems to impress you unless you had your hand in it. Anybody else's accomplishments seem minor compared to yours. How do you manage to put a shirt on in the morning with that big head of yours?

Old 09-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp 400 dave View Post
As if Gach has any clue about the differences between the old engine and the new, or the tune, or the nos, or the number of passes for head gaskets, or anything. Just beating his chest looking for more free parts.
Well since twinturrbo406 is the guy who pick the right cam, and seeing that him and I exchange info..on a weekly bases...yeah I do. Been involve with ( info exchange ) with Arine's motor from the Race Shop days.

And for your information..nothing was ever given to me free. If someone choses to pay their bill with parts.....like someone offering you a set if Tiger heads to
do chassis work...which only involves your lobar..you'd be jumping all over it. Your
just jealous...LOL

Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Boost Engineer

Actually as I have posted a couple of times, I was very impressed with the flow numbers on MJM421's CV-1 heads and if you go back and read the posts you would see that FACT.

I would rather have a big head then two little heads like you.

Tom Vaught

ps now that we took mandatory shots at each other for the night, back to business
(:>)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ........

""" Actually I think you are wrong Twinturbo406. Lou, in my mind, made several very clear statements in the posts below: (My post was basically breaking Polar Pontiac’s balls for his Cheerleading when it really isn’t necessary. Everyone knows the CV-1 heads can flow some serious CFM numbers now.) """

....... well, i dont think i was wrong, i said " one of " lol, but yes, Lou has been on a roll here lately, ......

Old 09-23-2010, 08:27 PM

Gach, actually I'm not jealous. I can buy any product that I like. Since the CV-1 has been on the market, I have purchased a set of Edelbrocks for my 68 Bird, and a set of Tigers for my 63 Tempest. You said that Andy Mitchell was the go to guy for the CV-1, then the Race Shop. Oopps, now where are you telling everyone to go, except for yourself of course.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM
Suspended

As the official flagman for tonight's grudge race, my rules are simple; Nearly running over flagman because you can't drive will put you in the hospital, and maybe you come out alive. Not likely tho.
rule #2; leave before I drop my hands and you lose.
rule #3; line 'em up and who gets there first wins.
So are ya gonna race or jawjack?

It's simple really, if someone puts on a set of heads that makes thier car quicker, then it was a good move for them. So why the bashing of a different style of heads than the traditional inline valve stuff? I think it's because some are afraid of the canted valve arrangement. And if a guy lowers his time of working on a racecar, which in turn lowers his cost of running it, and allows him time to do other things to the car, then whats the problem? Clearly the CV1 heads have allowed that for racers who have put them on that had issues keeping head gaskets in place with other brands of heads. I think it's a touch of jealousy and envy.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Actually as I have posted a couple of times, I was very impressed with the flow numbers on MJM421's CV-1 heads and if you go back and read the posts you would see that FACT.

I would rather have a big head then two little heads like you.

Tom Vaught

ps now that we took mandatory shots at each other for the night, back to business
(:>)))))))))))))))))))))))))))
LOL ...

Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp 400 dave View Post
Gach, actually I'm not jealous. I can buy any product that I like. Since the CV-1 has been on the market, I have purchased a set of Edelbrocks for my 68 Bird, and a set of Tigers for my 63 Tempest. You said that Andy Mitchell was the go to guy for the CV-1, then the Race Shop. Oopps, now where are you telling everyone to go, except for yourself of course.
Your right...Andy Mitchell turn out to be a thief..that's when I refuse to let anymore vender's to do any more Q&A's on PZ...for that very reason. He pull the wool over allot of people eyes. But remember that door swings both ways..Venders use both these Pontiac sites to sell themselves and over the years we've weeded out the good from the bad.

I had nothing what so ever to do with the Race Shop...and as Dan Barton said..when that guy opens his mouth he's lying. I tired to warn people from day one..but they wouldn't listen. Arine's car is one of the results.

Last edited by Gach; 09-23-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Tom...I agree...but no one is out there with these heads running a turbo...which is allot easier on a block then nitrous...a turbo is a push...not a bang! Bad69bird made 1275 hp...with out of the box CV-1's. with a blow thru...not as good as a turbo..I think you would agree.

Hell..Jim y run 7.95 with iron D-port heads...so yeah if you want to look at it that way..what's the big deal with Arine running 804 with CV-1's...not a big deal. Who cares.

What I don't get is...why keep slaming the head...we got someone who's probably invested $250,000.00 out of his own pocket...and has had no issues with castings or quality control...and god knows how much has been spent on continuing R & D and all we have is a few morons slaming the heads that only been out for two years.
Hey Gach...what about my sweet little ride?
Heres Proof
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo completed.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	219389  

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bankbook...I keep forgetting about you...who will be out soon...with probably the first CV-1 turbo build..in complete street trim. That turbo is huge !

Old 09-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
Heres Proof
SCHAAAAWINGGG!

Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankbook View Post
Heres Proof
........ holy cow !!!! This just in, DOC is the official Chiropractor for CV-1 neck injuries !!! lol, hey, Doc, can you align your own neck ?? You're gonna' need it .......

Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
........ holy cow !!!! This just in, DOC is the official Chiropractor for CV-1 neck injuries !!! lol, hey, Doc, can you align your own neck ?? You're gonna' need it .......

Old 09-24-2010, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Maybe we need a post of what all is in the Arnie machine. Front to back, same as all use racers post on our cars. Eliminates all the extra B.S. LOL.

Love ARNIE to death and wish him the best.

Thumbs up dude.

Last edited by PONTIAC DUDE; 09-24-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREATGTO View Post
All I have to say is it takes balls to run that fast with a stock block, and that goes for anyone doing it, Id never do it personally. Everyone be safe!
X2

tick...tick..tick

When that block goes and gets oil under the tires, I hope it doesn't put the car into the wall.....................or into another car.

Just my opinion. This type of power requires an aftermarket block.

Previous - 2001 Jerry Haas-built P/S Grand Am - former WJ car, Hoffman Racing 535" IA2, Tiger Heads/Intake, Single Dominator, PG
Best ET: 7.776 @ 175.94, 1.096 60', 2375 lbs.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmnstr View Post
X2

tick...tick..tick

When that block goes and gets oil under the tires, I hope it doesn't put the car into the wall.....................or into another car.

Just my opinion. This type of power requires an aftermarket block.
If it's checked regularly, should be Ok with today,s cranks, rods and piston assemblies. it is on the high side, thou. Weak points. Thinner deck/cylinder walls to hold gaskets & flex with a stock block. Made a lot of 9.30 passes with stock 400 & 455 blocks and 3750 lbs with street tires back in the early 2000 era. Figured up around 950 or hp. never destroyed a block. Knock on wood. LOL. But then again I know this dude who owns a Machine Shop to help out. LOL.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heard there was a good machine shop down the road from ya P-Dude...must be handy

Comparing CV-1s to Edlebrocks/factory(dinosuar heads) is like comparing the latest sbc's to the old double hump heads.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 09-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Comparing CV-1s to Edlebrocks/factory(dinosuar heads) is like comparing the latest sbc's to the old double hump heads.
and a canted valve head at that!!!! GEESE!!!

8.04 at 2850 isnt that much hp!! **** my car at 2850 would run 8 teens... on motor!!!! E-HEADS RULE!!!!!!!!!

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 09-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Heard there was a good machine shop down the road from ya P-Dude...must be handy

I have to agree. The E-head was brought out as a replacement to the RA IV iron head which was disappearing in the 90's. Or cost in the $2500 range ported to 290 or so. E-head as an out of the box head for $1,000 less themn most Iron RA IV heads. Brought out in 1993. No tricks, no special redesign or custom port configuration. Made to fill a disappearing market. Back then $1595.00 a set complete.

Not compare the RAIV Edelbrock replacement head that has gone from 285 or so in 1993 to 390/400 cfm in the year 2010. 17 years later. And now Edelbrock is coming out with a completely new designs to fill a race market.

99% of the CV-1 users now are using 'Ported CV-1's and Shaft assemblies'. So compare apples to apples and use the Tiger head for comparison. We all know the results of those heads out there. Rex, Langer, Frank, etc. and N/A.

But glad to see the CV-1 heads & Intakes redsigned and modified to make it a better head.

Old 09-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont get me wrong, play'n since late 70's, was thrilled when E-hds came out.
Thier still a good bolt on performance deal for the $...up to a point.
Sold my old RA/SD stuff to restorers and bought 2 sets of E-hds and intakes.
IMO(who else cares?lol) CV-1s are the best performance for the $ right now.
Not everyone is try'n to be king of the hill...are they?
Some just want to be one of the fastest with less $ and maintance.
If it where cheap-n-easy, everyone would have Tigers.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100