Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-12-2012, 03:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mondello's CNC system is up and RUNNING !!!

... today was a huge step for Mondello Racing Engines, as we are now 5 Axis CNC capable !!! ... the following videos and pictures are the intial (under-sized) test cuts of a Dart SBC head we used to proof-out the CNC program on the RMC, you'll see that this port uses head bolt sleeves as it cuts through this area, the sleeves simply get installed afterwards ...

... but we are happy to say it performed 100% perfectly !!! ... this machine is extremely rigid and cuts perfectly, even a .060 step over at speed is more than usuable, its very smooth, maybe a little too smooth even, but a huge thank you to Matt Meyer at RMC for all of his help in getting this system set up and running for us, as now it's a turn key system, combined with the Master3DGage CMM and the MasterCam X6/Port Expert software, we now have the ability to completely reverse-engineer, digitize, locate ports while compensating for casting variance, create raw geometry design/models in CAD, multi-point inspection of parts, CNC port verification, component sizing, billet cylinder heads, blocks, manifolds and just about anything billet we can fit into the B-Axis table, we can make, and we will be CNC'ing some CV-1 ReTool/RacePlate heads on Weds. and look forward to getting all the new CNC port programs i've been working on available in CNC form ...

... needless to say, we are very excited ...

... i will post more pics & videos tommorrow ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYVqH...ga98UqeSIIAi7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrgyZ...ga98UqeSIIAi7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMVFQ...ga98UqeSIIAi7g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv7_X...ga98UqeSIIAi7g
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121211_191615.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	305934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121211_194145.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	305935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121211_192531.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	305936  

Last edited by twinturrbo406; 12-12-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:40 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Excited? I couldn't help but notice- as you strung about a hunnert' words together into one sentence!

Envy... envy...

Old 12-12-2012, 04:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Excited? I couldn't help but notice- as you strung about a hunnert' words together into one sentence!

Envy... envy...

... lol, sorry bout' that jack ... but yes, we are very excited to have this capability in our shop, we have been very busy working on a few surprizes for the Pontiac world, this is going to be a ton of fun ...

Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks awesome Bill, I'm sure Joe would be very proud of the work that Mary has put into the shop along with you and all the guys at the shop, good things come to those who put in the hard work and attention to detail. Congratulations! Now get to work on my SHORT DECK BILLET BLOCK! 0)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Bill, that 5 Axis machine is impressive. Yourself and Mondello's are stepping up your game. Glad to see that it's now in operation mode !

Old 12-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice!

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 12-12-2012, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bill that is great that its finally all up and running... All that stuff on the drawing board and back burner can get accomplished and in house to boot! Thats going to be a busy machine.

I cant wait to get up there and see this in action... But Sundays are my only day I dont have to be house dad plus workin on rat-rods... at least for awhile... Debs on 60 hr schedule till at least Christmas...

Old 12-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Just got back from Mondello's and was able to watch the 5-axis machine in action. It's pretty amazing what this machine can do. The port work is seamless top to bottom. This machine makes it look easy !

Old 12-14-2012, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammertime Mike View Post
Just got back from Mondello's and was able to watch the 5-axis machine in action. It's pretty amazing what this machine can do. The port work is seamless top to bottom. This machine makes it look easy !

... well, looks like everything went pretty smooth for the first CNC run, the ReTool ports were CNC'd today and they are located perfectly in the head, we couldn't be happier at this point ...

... the RMC makes a really nice cut, the step over and transition in the head are very smooth to the touch, but there is some more work to do on the ReTool/428 heads as they need some material right at the entry on the straight-wall side, because the previous port was a little different shape in that area, but it is very minor, so except for that area we feel the ports turned out pretty nice ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ReTool Port CNC 428 Heads (9).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	306151   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReTool Port CNC 428 Heads (5).jpg
Views:	122
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	306152  

Old 12-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice work... Can't go wrong with the X6!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 428 should be a real screamer with these heads/port on it. should be very interesting results.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturrbo406 View Post
... well, looks like everything went pretty smooth for the first CNC run, the ReTool ports were CNC'd today and they are located perfectly in the head, we couldn't be happier at this point ...

... the RMC makes a really nice cut, the step over and transition in the head are very smooth to the touch, but there is some more work to do on the ReTool/428 heads as they need some material right at the entry on the straight-wall side, because the previous port was a little different shape in that area, but it is very minor, so except for that area we feel the ports turned out pretty nice ...
Damn, they sure do look nice!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
holy crap you said something nice!!!!!!! is it going to snow tonight!!! LMFAO!!

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kinsler View Post
holy crap you said something nice!!!!!!! is it going to snow tonight!!! LMFAO!!
Captain Morgan TTF!

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 12-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Either Jack is getting into the season spirit or his waitress had a nice set and he accidentally posted what he was thinkin' here...

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GTO View Post
Nice work... Can't go wrong with the X6!

... i agree 100%, the MasterCam X6, the Verisurf RDS, and the Port Expert software are really unbelievable, nothing short of a miracle in terms of toolpath generation compared to the "Classic" setting of toolpathing a CNC port, "Port Expert" makes something that takes all damn day to get ready to CNC just one port, and completes that task in about 15-30 minutes, give or take a little, depending on the surface quality you are working with, the ReTool port was really smooth in the master head/half and this really helps streamline the toolpath generation software ...

... PESTTFMR's !!! ... (port-expert-software-to-the-front-mfr's) lol ... we love it !!! ... and the Master3DGage port alignment process is the only "spot on" method to really nail the port to the guide positions (IMO), as the Master3DGage is accurate to (.0002) !!! ... the ports we CNC'd in this head are spot on 100% ... i'm very happy with how they turned out ...

Old 12-15-2012, 01:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post

... holy chit , i think i'll be sending you a case of Cpt. Morgan's every week then !!! ...

Old 12-15-2012, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Glad to see you like this idea...for awhile I thought I was the only one! But...they were listening! I was starting to make a wood/epoxy model to start the process of getting this done, but stopped when I found out what was in the pipline!

I want one!!! IMO this one piece approach might be better than a cross bolted extended skirt block. Certainly a step forward from multi piece skirt extensions and halo's etc..

Bill can confirm whether or not it will be a flat pan rail that I suggested. (a relatively easy mod to section an existing pan and install a flat pan rail or have a new pan made, as the piece fills the timing cover gap and can cover the rear main cap without a curve. Belt drive version simply could be made without the timing cover notch/extension.)

Not only for stock blocks,...this should add further strength to aftermarket blocks as well.

There are other things in the "pipeline" coming that will benefit us Pontiac enthusiasts and likely some Olds stuff too. Bill and Mondello's is not just about CV1 or Olds stuff.

... here is an update in the "Billet Cage", Cody has been working on getting the surfaces, radius, and tool paths worked out, this is a complicated piece, but its almost complete, but the really cool part is we will be making one of these "Billet Cage" pieces for our Pontiacs also !!! ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cage tool path verify2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	306214   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cage tool path verify.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	306215  

Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So this will enable the use of a flat oil pan seal as well correct? Cant wait to see one completed.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your "billet cage" has a similar look to the mid-plate design used on the Northstar V-8, less the oiling passages. That design allowed that flimsy aluminum piece of crap to run 9000-9500 RPM's at 850-900 HP for hours in Indy 500 trim and 24 hours at a time for many victories in endurance racing. Great times are ahead for our Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles. Keep up the good work. With the capabilities you guys have at your fingertips now, you are only limited by your imaginations! Congrats.