THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Rockford files got me interested in 2nd gen Birds. The McQ movie made the 70-73's my all time favorites.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
According to the PHS, they were ordered with;
B80 roof molding, B85 sill & hood molding, C60 A/C, D55 frt. console, U63 AM radio, U80 rear speaker, V32 rear bumper guards & Y90 Custom trim group, plus the typical WS4 credit of $27.00. Since there was no tire option shown, I'd say they were built with blackwall bias plies. Not recalling at the moment when blackwall radials became standard.
They were shipped 5/31/73 & sent & billed to Pontiac Motor Division, Zone Company Car at code 325-997 in Portland Oregon. MSRP was $5060.75, but they were sold as 25% discounted cars.
F60X15 White Letter Tires were standard equiptment on the '73 Trans Am. My guess is that they blacked out the lettering on the tires of one of those cars. In fact I'm not sure if Firestone even producted a blackwall version of their 60 series wide ovals at the time.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rotella View Post
F60X15 White Letter Tires were standard equiptment on the '73 Trans Am. My guess is that they blacked out the lettering on the tires of one of those cars. In fact I'm not sure if Firestone even producted a blackwall version of their 60 series wide ovals at the time.
Interesting,

Here is what one of my references – The Fabulous Firebird states:

TRANS AM COMPARATOR

1973 Trans Am Equipment

Wheels & tires:
RallyII (N-98) 15x7 in wheels standard with F60-15 bias-belted fiberglass white-letter tires.
GR70-15 radial steel-belted whitewalls (P-85, $58) optional.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:05 PM
Suspended

FIREBIRD RED BOOK

shows F78-14 and F70-14 blackwall fiberglass tires
as the only blackwalls for 1973 Firebird.

Obviously not 15 inch black walls like those shown on McQ TA.

Perhaps that Black wall Wide Oval set was installed w RWL inside to differentiate the cars?

Old 02-12-2013, 05:21 PM
Suspended

Cool

Private Eye McQ follows the State Narco van - Continued

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	McQ_24.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	312994   Click image for larger version

Name:	McQ_25.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	312995   Click image for larger version

Name:	McQ_26.jpg
Views:	694
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	312996  

Old 02-22-2013, 02:38 PM

I just watched this movie last weekend. It is great!

Owner of TTA Performance specializing in performance and restoration parts for the 301 Turbo.

www.ttaperformance.com
Old 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
"Suckula Blu" Drive it like ya stole it

Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the movie McQ a lot. BadASS and filmed in my neighborhood. That chase with the laundry truck is right down the street, then it's right up the street, then back down the original street again...........Ha!

I heard somewhere that John Wayne was originally offered the role of Harry Callahan in Dirty Harry.

Supposedly John Wayne and his agent thought something along the following line--

"oh, god, this script isn't a good idea, this rogue cop beats the holy living snot out of suspects first, asks questions later and he carries a massive .44 magnum. We'll pass on this one it's not good for John Wayne's public relations image"

Well, after the HUGE success of Dirty Harry, out comes McQ. .44 Magnum? Umm, isn't that a rather small & ineffective weapon? So McQ character goes out and gets a gnarly MAC-10 submachine gun, LOL

501 HP, 554 ft lbs TQ
12.14 ET @ 114 MPH , Supercase Muncie M22, 3:55
Suspension: HO Racing, BMR< Sykorat, and Bilsteins
Narrowed 12 bolt , 16x8 VintageWheel Works,
Comp T/As on street, MT Drag Radials @ Strip

http://www.sdperformance.com/custome...1.php?carID=42
Old 08-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Suspended

Cool

Bump!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bird In JW Movie

I told TJ about the nice lookin Appaloosa JW was riding in a movie I saw recently. She looked it up and found out all the details on the horse. But we didn't know he rode a bird in one of his movies. They have JW marathons quite often, but I've never seen this one.

Anyhow, this bird looks similar to the street ride TJ had when we got married. It was a green '73, 455, 4-speed. It wasn't fast, but compared to the factory cars of the day('78-'80) was quite peppy. She took lots of racing pics, but we could only find two of that car. They were taken in the parking lot of the advertising design studio where she worked when she designed the Duck Dynasty logo and decal for their duck calls.

While I'm on that subject, Willie is scheduled to be on Fox news today. The new DD programs are to start Wed night. And John Luke just started taking flying lessons from TJ's brother. Besides being a flight instructor, he is now getting certified to fly a Citation jet, so he can take folks like the DD boys, where they need to go, faster. So, I reckin he'll be seeing the boys quite often. Well, I better not say any more about DD, lest I get excommunicated from PY.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_2008.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	333139   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2006.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	333140  

Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I told TJ about the nice lookin Appaloosa JW was riding in a movie I saw recently. She looked it up and found out all the details on the horse. But we didn't know he rode a bird in one of his movies. They have JW marathons quite often, but I've never seen this one.

Anyhow, this bird looks similar to the street ride TJ had when we got married. It was a green '73, 455, 4-speed. It wasn't fast, but compared to the factory cars of the day('78-'80) was quite peppy. She took lots of racing pics, but we could only find two of that car. They were taken in the parking lot of the advertising design studio where she worked when she designed the Duck Dynasty logo and decal for their duck calls.

While I'm on that subject, Willie is scheduled to be on Fox news today. The new DD programs are to start Wed night. And John Luke just started taking flying lessons from TJ's brother. Besides being a flight instructor, he is now getting certified to fly a Citation jet, so he can take folks like the DD boys, where they need to go, faster. So, I reckin he'll be seeing the boys quite often. Well, I better not say any more about DD, lest I get excommunicated from PY.
Wel call me a tele-psychic!

Somehow I had a feeling that you may have missed the JW McQ movie and that you may have had one simular in your past. If I'm viewing your photos correctly - TJs '73 Brewster Bird had the tan interior? Yes?

No worries of excommunication here. Neat back story on DD was a bonus IMO.

Feel free to add commentary of the 73 Brewster here. JW's where automatics in the McQ movie. I see it (TJs) was missing the front center spoiler. From an Armadillo strike or bayou high water flood no doubt?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mo On TJ's Ride

Yep, it was all factory original, minus the middle section. It was that way when she bought it. It could have been the victim of any number of highway traveling critters, from one of Phil's hated Beavers, to a big fat Coon or Possum, or an Armadillo, or even a big muffler. Can't be sure--somebody else made the strike.

And we left it just that way. We were to busy racing to care about anything that minor. TJ is a very practical gal. She said it wouldn't drive a bit different with a new spoiler and we could use that money to buy gas for the racing trips.(It was a lot cheaper back then).

She would not have bought that car if her '68 racer turned street ride had not been hit on the street. The ds qtr panel was caved in real bad, so she started lookin for another ride. She found this one at the local car auction lot, and bought it before it went to auction. I believe she paid either $3k or $3.5k for it.

It was clean, with low miles, and drove great. I told her I didn't see how she could go wrong. She drove it every day from '78 thru '80. The only thing I did to it was change oil and filter a few times. It had no problems at all. Her next ride was a '76 455, 4-spd, TA. It was gray primered, just about ready for paint, when a local kid saw it and just had to have it. His dad bought it for him and had it painted black. He kept it real clean and waxed. It made a real nice ride.

Her next ride was a '77 Bandit, with 400, 4-spd, and T-tops. Don't know why, but we can't find a single pic of it. It was real nice, but we soon found out why the previous owner was so glad to sell. When it rained, it poured. And it rains a lot in LA. After that, she switched over to trucks. She drove our tow trucks from '85 til '88, then got a little Jimmy extended cab. She hasn't been without a truck since. Cowgirls love trucks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1863.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	333153   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1922.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	333154   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1933.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	333155   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_5839.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	333156  

Old 09-07-2013, 12:37 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up McQ DVD available

TCM aka: Turner Classic Movies has released McQ on DVD in two versions.

I picked up the compilation at a national big box a couple of weeks ago. If you can not find one locally, you can order your own copy @ the TCM.com shop.

One as a single DVD w the McQ movie
Link http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=316...042fac74a74954

Description:
John Wayne turns up the heat as an over-the-hill Seattle cop, in the detective adventure "McQ" (1974). When Lt. Lon McQ's best friend and fellow narcotics Officer Stan Boyle, played by William Bryant, is slain by a group of drug dealing radicals, he vows to avenge Boyle's murder. Led to believe the culprit is a high profile cocaine dealer, Manny Santiago, played by Al Lettieri, McQ is hot on his trail. Santiago's drug heist is foiled, and McQ's nerves rattled, when McQ realizes the drug corruption stems from his own police department.”

second as a “TCM GREATEST CLASSIC LEGENDS: JOHN WAYNE” 4 movie compilation

Link http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=447...042fac74a74954

Description:
This TCM Greatest Classic Films Set includes these four great films:

Chisum (1970)
Wayne stars as John Chisum, a real-life cattle king determined to protect his empire against a land-grabbing developer (Forrest Tucker). Wayne’s no-nonsense persona snugly fits this lively reworking of the events of New Mexico’s 1878 Lincoln County War.

The Train Robbers (1973)
Three Civil War veterans (Wayne, Rod Taylor and Ben Johnson) team up with a train robber’s widow (Ann-Margret) to recover a half-million in gold. But the dead man’s ex-partners want the gold, and they’ll kill to get it in this rollicking caper from writer/director Burt Kennedy.

Cahill: United States Marshal (1973)
Lawman J.D. Cahill (Wayne) can stand alone against an army of bad guys. But as a widower father, he’s on insecure footing raising two sons. Particularly when he suspects they’re involved in a bank robbery and two killings in this suspenseful blend of action and heroic sentiment.

McQ (1974)
As Detective Lon McQ, Wayne thunderously enforces the law in a high-velocity thriller that’s like a big-city revenge Western on wheels. Directed by action master John Sturges and written by coproducer Lawrence Roman, McQ is a breathless, gritty showcase for the Duke.”

Last edited by Alvin; 09-07-2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
TCM aka: Turner Classic Movies has released McQ on DVD in two versions.

I picked up the compilation at a national big box a couple of weeks ago. If you can not find one locally, you can order your own copy @ the TCM.com shop.

One as a single DVD w the McQ movie
Link http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=316...042fac74a74954

Description:
John Wayne turns up the heat as an over-the-hill Seattle cop, in the detective adventure "McQ" (1974). When Lt. Lon McQ's best friend and fellow narcotics Officer Stan Boyle, played by William Bryant, is slain by a group of drug dealing radicals, he vows to avenge Boyle's murder. Led to believe the culprit is a high profile cocaine dealer, Manny Santiago, played by Al Lettieri, McQ is hot on his trail. Santiago's drug heist is foiled, and McQ's nerves rattled, when McQ realizes the drug corruption stems from his own police department.”

second as a “TCM GREATEST CLASSIC LEGENDS: JOHN WAYNE” 4 movie compilation

Link http://shop.tcm.com/detail.php?p=447...042fac74a74954

Description:
This TCM Greatest Classic Films Set includes these four great films:

Chisum (1970)
Wayne stars as John Chisum, a real-life cattle king determined to protect his empire against a land-grabbing developer (Forrest Tucker). Wayne’s no-nonsense persona snugly fits this lively reworking of the events of New Mexico’s 1878 Lincoln County War.

The Train Robbers (1973)
Three Civil War veterans (Wayne, Rod Taylor and Ben Johnson) team up with a train robber’s widow (Ann-Margret) to recover a half-million in gold. But the dead man’s ex-partners want the gold, and they’ll kill to get it in this rollicking caper from writer/director Burt Kennedy.

Cahill: United States Marshal (1973)
Lawman J.D. Cahill (Wayne) can stand alone against an army of bad guys. But as a widower father, he’s on insecure footing raising two sons. Particularly when he suspects they’re involved in a bank robbery and two killings in this suspenseful blend of action and heroic sentiment.

McQ (1974)
As Detective Lon McQ, Wayne thunderously enforces the law in a high-velocity thriller that’s like a big-city revenge Western on wheels. Directed by action master John Sturges and written by coproducer Lawrence Roman, McQ is a breathless, gritty showcase for the Duke.”

"Wide Screen"

Old 09-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Movie Trailer & McQ Seattle movie scene location info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edvisme View Post
I remembered seeing this show back when it come out in the 70's. It's kind of cool he (John Wayne) drove a 70-73 trans am. Sad that it, and I'm sure many were destroyed in the filming.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyJJYKneIx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvluHfTVrdU
Credit and Big Thanks to edvisme from his OP http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=736031

McQ Movie Trailer (includes action footage of still images posted on this thread) http://youtu.be/hyJJYKneIx8

McQ Brewster Touring Seattle http://youtu.be/PvluHfTVrdU

Old 04-25-2014, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Wink

Bumping this thread as TCM is having a John Wayne marathon now. McQ movie is always a winner in my book.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Been watching The Duke !! John Wayne marathon !

Old 07-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Suspended

Talking

Bumping this just 'cause - "it's 'The Duke'" in a freakin Pontiac TA!

Old 07-19-2014, 05:42 PM
Suspended

Cool Cool Indeed!

Thxs Mike!
QUOTE=MikeNoun; John Wayne's 1975 Pontiac Wagon at Mecum
Further proof that John Wayne was cool.

Mecum Monterey August 2014: http://www.mecum.com/lot-detail.cfm?...=CA0814-190651

- 1975 Pontiac Grand Safari John Wayne Wagon owned by Batjac Productions, Inc. (John Wayne's Production Company) customized in 1975 by Barris Kustom
- The last daily family driver used by John Wayne and was customized by George Barris at Barris Kustom, Mr. Wayne did not want to take his hat off to get into the car, so George Barris raised the roof
- Dash plaque that verifies this is a Barris Kustom and dated 1975
- Frame-on restoration, interior was removed and only the carpet was replaced
- Remaining interior was reinstalled, this was Mr. Wayne’s daily driver and one of the last car he touched
- Dash plaque that verifies this is a Barris Kustom restoration and dated 2014, front fenders also have the Barris Crests in place
- 455 CI V-8 engine, Turbo Hydra-Matic transmission, power steering and power front disc brakes
- Options include air conditioning, power windows and driver's seat, tilt steering wheel, cruise control, AM/FM stereo with tape deck
- One of the rarest options available on Grand Villes and other full-sized Pontiacs during this period was the adjustable brake and accelerator pedals offered from 1974 to 1976
- 127" wheelbase and total length of 231"
- Curb weight is 5,300 pounds, 200 HP at 3,500 RPM
- This is the heaviest car built by Pontiac and has a Clamshell tailgate
- The car was designed by Bill Mitchell
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=757781

Old 12-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Suspended

TTT