THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

View Poll Results: Red Air Cleaner Decal
I have one, I know it's not original, but I like it on my car 5 4.76%
I thought they were original so I bought one and installed it 1 0.95%
I hate them! They are for Buicks and should be peeled off whenever spotted 41 39.05%
It came on the car and I left it on there 5 4.76%
It's your car, do whatever you want 53 50.48%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
I like the Chevy version with the checkered flags better than the Buick version.
But probably wouldn't sell many of them for Pontiacs since the flags are well known.
It's the Corvette people that would be pissed to see them on anything but a Chevy.
This is the only one I've ever seen on a Pontiac in my travels.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9490.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	364033  

Old 05-19-2014, 04:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post

It's ironic someone said they got pissed when a comment was made that the sticker looked stupid... So it's only ok to think the stickers are fine? That makes sense? I think they look stupid too. Why should that matter to you?
I think what you may or may not have missed is that there are 2 threads going on here concerning the red sticker. This thread the poll is perfectly fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The other thread has gotten nasty. It started with a snarky comment, then the sticker was called stupid because it wasn't stock and did nothing to enhance performance. Fine, I understand that but my response was what about all the bolt on's or add on's people have done over the years such as aftermarket rims or chrome valve covers which are akin to adding a non stock sticker. To which there was an arrogant response about dedication to the Pontiac hobby, a suggestion that I get the sand out of my vagina, and a claim that my car has a 4WD stance. So you see how the little dig about a sticker has been blown out of proportion??

To me it seems like I was the target of ridicule simply because a purist was offended that I chose to put a non stock sticker on my non stock car.

Purists may be angry or annoyed by my decision to add a $4.00 sticker which didn't come from the factory. Fine, but I'm not a purist. I've never cared about numbers matching or date codes. It's just not my thing. And as much as it's not my thing, I've never gotten on this site and called the purists stupid or ridiculed their rides.

Greg
68 Firebird Verdoro Green
428, 6X-4 heads, Comp XE284 cam
Muncie 4 speed
3:73 rear
Old 05-19-2014, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't see the other thread, nor will I look for it. This has been blown out of context enough already.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go drive your car and forget about everyone else!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 05-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Go drive your car and forget about everyone else!
X2. The car looks great! All of the BS that you get for having incorrect parts goes away when you stomp on the pedal. Let the others care about date coded parts and correct chalk marks while you're blasting down the road with the windows down and the radio on!

If I didn't have a shaker I'd put the sticker on the lid and post up a few pics. It's fun watching their heads explode.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-19-2014, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
X2. The car looks great! All of the BS that you get for having incorrect parts goes away when you stomp on the pedal. Let the others care about date coded parts and correct chalk marks while you're blasting down the road with the windows down and the radio on!

If I didn't have a shaker I'd put the sticker on the lid and post up a few pics. It's fun watching their heads explode.
This is the problem right here. Go back and read this entire thread and find anyone who fits your description of "chalk mark" folks, I don't see anyone commenting that fits the description. But there is no shortage of guys making comments aimed at them. What did I say earlier... Oh yeah, GROW THE HELL UP! Lol

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 05-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I won't take the poll, because I think it's stupid.

What I will comment on is, if I do see your hood up and something isn't right, I will comment to the person I'm with (most of the time I'll be talking to myself and shake my head). Case in point, went to the local car scene near me last Saturday. GTO, with the 455 HO decal and a RG air cleaner decal (incorrect usage and placed in the wrong area between the snorkels). Maybe he overheard me telling my daughter and wife what was wrong or maybe not. I didn't care as he was the one advertising. His problem, not mine.

Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I hate them because when I see one it immediately tells me that the owner doesn't know anything about Pontiacs. I know it's your car, but you don't have to show off your ignorance. You don't ride around with Oldsmobile or Cadillac wheels, do you?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"They are for Buicks and should be peeled off whenever spotted"

Well you can do that unless you want the owner to either pound the crap out of you, or do something more drastic the you both would regret. I've seen em and just stood there and laughed, then left. The gets the owner thinking that something could be wrong, out place, or not correct. I don't like raining on someone's parade.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
This is the problem right here. Go back and read this entire thread and find anyone who fits your description of "chalk mark" folks, I don't see anyone commenting that fits the description. But there is no shortage of guys making comments aimed at them. What did I say earlier... Oh yeah, GROW THE HELL UP! Lol

So people who laugh, shake their head, and point out things that aren't correct at a car show just for the sake of doing it dont fit in that description? So what class would they be in then?

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 05-19-2014, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, you think I should confront them personally and make a scene?

Attached Images

Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Suspended

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I'm not the type of anal-retentive, authoritarian a-hole that obsesses over whether something is "original" or not, and feels free to make unsolicited rude remarks about other people...

Old 05-19-2014, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
So people who laugh, shake their head, and point out things that aren't correct at a car show just for the sake of doing it dont fit in that description? So what class would they be in then?
THIS discussion is about the air cleaner decal, NOT about modified cars. My point is a lot of guys don't know these are incorrect. NO ONE brought up chalk marks until you did. We aren't talking about not liking modifications, hell I'm the Modified Concours Co-ordinator for the GTOAA! I love modified cars! As I have been stating for years, there is a huge difference between modified and simply incorrect!

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-19-2014, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Held for Ransom, if you walked up on a modified car with eheads, headers, alum intake and a Holley carb, would you give a **** if they had a 455-4V Buick call out on thier chrome aftermarket air cleaner?

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 05-19-2014, 11:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those wannabe Buick stickers are lame...... It takes a certain type of person to put one of those on their car...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 05-19-2014, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul,
No. To each their own (I'd probably still shake my head walking away though). I just see another beer someone could have bought me instead, going to waste.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I hate them because when I see one it immediately tells me that the owner doesn't know anything about Pontiacs. I know it's your car, but you don't have to show off your ignorance. You don't ride around with Oldsmobile or Cadillac wheels, do you?
Well, kinda. My Rally Wheels are color-coordinated with the body's red paint, too. Isn't that kinda an Oldsmobile thing? But you see, I like it.

So, this one's for you!

Old 05-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Suspended

Held for ransom , I can tell by your comments that your not old enough to have been around when these cars were new. By saying that if you were you would know that if you had one of these cars back than you would be a lame punk if you didn't have headers or an alum. intake or big fat tires & the car all jacked up in the back. If you keft your car stock you were either broke or a mommas boy who didn't know anything about cars. I know because I lived through that era & I know how the cars were MENT to be used & driven. Stock was for rich kids & mommas boys who only wanted to look like they were cool. As I said before I bought my first new GTO in 73 & still have it but it only stayed stock for 2 days. All of my other cars stayed stock a shorter time.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:16 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
Held for ransom , I can tell by your comments that your not old enough to have been around when these cars were new. By saying that if you were you would know that if you had one of these cars back than you would be a lame punk if you didn't have headers or an alum. intake or big fat tires & the car all jacked up in the back. If you keft your car stock you were either broke or a mommas boy who didn't know anything about cars. I know because I lived through that era & I know how the cars were MENT to be used & driven. Stock was for rich kids & mommas boys who only wanted to look like they were cool. As I said before I bought my first new GTO in 73 & still have it but it only stayed stock for 2 days. All of my other cars stayed stock a shorter time.
Some of the children here should be put out of their misery.

Or deported to Singapore and repeatedly caned.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:28 AM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Hey, dumb ass-read your tagline lately?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT

Wouldn't patronizing your business require Pontiacers to install "NON-CORRECT" aftermarket stuff? EEEEEEK! NON-CORRECT!

Frickin' moron.

Closed Thread