THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up DIY Record Cleaner

A High Quality, Low Cost Record Cleaner

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	398179  

Old 05-25-2015, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=70oldgoat;5403713]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Here you go:

http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/tu...f30b3a8662772/

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica.../dp/B002S1CJ2Q

Many thanks, Alvin. I took your information and spent about three hours today researching. Just ordered my Audio-Technica AT-LP120 this evening. Can't wait to start spinning my early 60s LPs I have kept in a box all these years...Carl Smith, Jerry Lee, Julie London, Ike and Tina; Oh, yeah...

The neighbors are gonna love me.

Shout out to Alvin.

Spent the day setting up the new AT-LP120 and cleaning 100 plus LPs that have been in a box in a closet for 40+ years...
Happy as a pig in slop...

Makers Mark, cranked that puppy up and rattled the windows. CCR, Grand Funk, The Ventures, ole Jerry Lee, Ike and Tina, etc., etc. Don't get no better!

Thanks to you and the rest on this thread for getting me started on my trip to the past... What a blast.

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vinyl is timeless. 4 figure turntables wouldn't sell if it weren't.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldgoat View Post

Shout out to Alvin.

Spent the day setting up the new AT-LP120 and cleaning 100 plus LPs that have been in a box in a closet for 40+ years...
Happy as a pig in slop...

Makers Mark, cranked that puppy up and rattled the windows. CCR, Grand Funk, The Ventures, ole Jerry Lee, Ike and Tina, etc., etc. Don't get no better!

Thanks to you and the rest on this thread for getting me started on my trip to the past... What a blast.

Excellent! http://youtu.be/sWjlUfLqKcc

Old 05-26-2015, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Iv`e been looking for a while. Iv`e settled on the AT Lp120 turntable as Alvin stated, but with this cartridge;

http://www.amazon.com/Technica-AT440...nica+cartridge

My origional Pink Floyd "Wish You Were Here" LP hasn`t been played hardly at all. Can`t wait to hear it.

This will go through a Yamaha RX 497 real stereo, [not A/V amp] realistic 12 band equalizer from back in the day, and some JBL L96 speakers, also from back in the day. Have this in a different room than my home theater up front. It will be my "sound room".

Last edited by PunchT37; 05-26-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Playlist with photo of the morning

Here is my morning playlist..........
1) Tried to play the first Doors album, and discovered (first play since scrounged used a while back) that is was a cheap later 70's pressing that is trash sound and off to trash itself. REPLACE! Their first and best album overall. so no play.
2) Allman Brothers Idlewild South. Not the legendary Fillmore live one, it shows the band gelling and some great studio stuff, which Duane was already a master at by then (Muscle Shoals session work, Aretha, Wilson Pickett, etc etc).
3) Neil Young Tonight's The Night. You may need to be a hard core Neil fan on this one. A flawed, at times sloppy album, that he has said is his favorite. It is one of mine. If you were up on Neil's ranch 73-75, and him and the boys plugged in the guitars and stuff in his barn at midnight, and everyone was feeling fine, this is what you would have heard.
4) Sticky Fingers. The highest concentration of my favorite Stones songs on one album. B!tch, Sway, and You Gotta Move, Can't You Hear Me Knockin' are four of my all times.

My antique Chinese noodle cabinet that is record storage. I can add one more shelf. Think I'm good for life (?)......................

Old 05-26-2015, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool stuff!

I've always been a vinyl record fan myself. When CD's came out, I was one of the few that said they sounded worse than vinyl. I remember at the time, Neil Young, George Harrison, and Don Henley were also vocal about the quality of CD's. Many of the re-releases of classic albums were converted to CD, and used inferior sources. When "The Eagles Greatest Hits" first came out on CD, there was speculation they used a cassette tape for the source as The Eagles were not speaking to each other at the time, and the record label couldn't obtain the master recordings or even a decent studio tape. They were in such a rush to release it, they simply grabbed a DAT version and plunked it onto a CD. I think they sold around 8 million of those CD's, and Don Henley was furious.

"Sticky Fingers" is, I believe, the Stones pinnacle. Some argue that "Some Girls" had all the hits, and that "Exile On Main Street" was their 'White Album' (classic double album), but "Sticky Fingers" had the band at their zenith.

However, while not as highly regarded, I believe Side 1 of "Goat's Head Soup" is my favorite.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Doors debut album was truly groundbreaking. Many don't realize that album came out in late December 1966, six months before The Beatles groundbreaking "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a huge collection of LP's. Some of them sound better than the CD of the same album. Most of the LP's do not sound as good as the CD version.

Few of the LP's are free of scratches, pops, dust, eccentricity, warpage, or distortion toward the inner grooves near the label. CD's don't have these problems.

Yes, people do spend thousands of dollars on turntables for LP's. These same people spend thousands of dollars on interconnecting cables--especially speaker cables. And many of them spend A LOT on the 120 volt supply circuit for their audio system. Examples are $125 for a wall outlet, hundreds of dollars for replacement power cords, and over $1,000 for a "power conditioner!" None of the above can be demonstrated to audibly improve sound quality, regardless of what kind of comparison test is run.

Many young people have only heard MP3 recordings and are amazed when they finally hear a full range recording via vinyl. That reaction is sometimes to buy an expensive turntable so they can hear fantastic sound. I understand their reaction--MP3's are really limited. But, I doubt if anyone could ID a CD versus LP in any kind of listening test.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-26-2015, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"The End" is forever the 60's, Nam, everything that era..... Soul Kitchen too. The Soft Parade is my second fav Doors, admittedly a weird album.

As for Exile On Main Street, it is my second go to..... I could argue edit to a single album and it is a home run like Sticky is. But I still wouldn't. Goats Head is a strong album with a cover I hate but music I love. Mick Taylor and Keith were the best and Mick is one of the most tasteful players around. The Brian Jones story is pretty bizarre as the prior history...

Old 05-26-2015, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick, I respectfully disagree, but also respect your take on it. Warmth and depth are hard to prove and subjective. Also, not everyone is high end. I like quality, but scrounge. My vintage EQ was $125 for example. Rehabbed turntable $400. Best Buy cables. Amp and deck I did splurge on for my world. speakers pawn shop

Old 05-26-2015, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
I have a huge collection of LP's. Some of them sound better than the CD of the same album. Most of the LP's do not sound as good as the CD version.

Few of the LP's are free of scratches, pops, dust, eccentricity, warpage, or distortion toward the inner grooves near the label. CD's don't have these problems.

Yes, people do spend thousands of dollars on turntables for LP's. These same people spend thousands of dollars on interconnecting cables--especially speaker cables. And many of them spend A LOT on the 120 volt supply circuit for their audio system. Examples are $125 for a wall outlet, hundreds of dollars for replacement power cords, and over $1,000 for a "power conditioner!" None of the above can be demonstrated to audibly improve sound quality, regardless of what kind of comparison test is run.

Many young people have only heard MP3 recordings and are amazed when they finally hear a full range recording via vinyl. That reaction is sometimes to buy an expensive turntable so they can hear fantastic sound. I understand their reaction--MP3's are really limited. But, I doubt if anyone could ID a CD versus LP in any kind of listening test.

And for that underwater music sound with snorkels through Sirius/XM sat radio

Old 05-26-2015, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, I believe all internet music is MP3. Is that correct?

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-27-2015, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent about 10+ years of my life working in the home & car audio field. 1988-2000ish.
By the mid 90's vinyl was litteraly condemned by the general public. I believe the big sell against the sound of vinyl was most people were just amazed when there was no pop & crackle between songs & you could jump to the next track in an instant. But this quality was mostly perception because it was so clean in comparison, but it sure wasn't better. Many huge advantages to CD's at the time, Im just talking about sound quality.

I had a party in 1995+/- where this topic came up. I had an LP (I forget the band) & the same album on CD. I cued them both up, & made people tell me what sounded better. I purposely made sure the sample was mid song so the added vinyl noise was buried. The LP was overwhelmingly picked over the CD. Everyone was amazed except me. Granted the Digital to analog converters were still a little weak in the early 90's but a pure analog sound was/is still better IMO.

So, back to the topic; some the new LP's are digital going to analog? I can't help but think those albums are going to suffer big time. I don't know much about it as I have been out of the field for a long time, but it seems the process will defeat the advantage of vinyl in the first place..... Or, is it purely for the retro look & feel?

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 05-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
So, back to the topic; some the new LP's are digital going to analog? I can't help but think those albums are going to suffer big time. I don't know much about it as I have been out of the field for a long time, but it seems the process will defeat the advantage of vinyl in the first place..... Or, is it purely for the retro look & feel?
Yes, digital to analog. No point IMO. Retro look / feel and trickery as most don't discuss / know at this level.

The worst thing is remixes. It is beyond an A / B comparison. You wind up with an A / B+C comparison. In over 90% of cases (guess) they original source has been remixed. It may not even have been remixed from original analog. It may be round 2 digital remix. They have ruined entire catalogs (The Band for example). Many (most) times it is punchy (compression) and bass'y. When you up bass you subtract from something else as you are allowed only so much db room to play in for broadcast. the joyous middle range, where voice, piano, most guitar are strongest, is vastly weaker when compared to analog original. So analog purists are really two things, analog and original mix purists. I will caveat and say there are some bad original mixes out there. But you don't need to remix George Martin or Tom Dowd mixes!

Old 05-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember when Pink Floyd from Cd would give me a headache in 5 minutes, where as Pink Floyd from Lp ws like a masterful mix job of excellence. "Punchy & Basey" yet also tinny; highs that were meant to be subtle or normal became stood out & harsh.
Same goes for Led Zeppelin I played at high volume: LP all the way.

I can turn the Trebles & Loudness up all the way on an Lp for highs to stand out, yet without harshness. So i'm fairly convinced the Cd has done something wrong to the waveforms & their cross products.

Got a whole series of Robin Trower LPs, recently played thru while working some basement activities; all played through with a warm guitar sustain, that I think is doubtful for CD to replicate.

Spherical needle turntable to Tube Preamp into mosfet power amp, into Frasier stacks (6 10" drivers) & 15" full range drivers.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These new LPs can be super expensive. What's this 180 vinyl they're talking about?

If you can, put your favorite music on USB drives. Our 2014 Focus has as USB slot and I can play music on it. Sounds great and you can swap change music on it if you want. The bigger the USB drive the more you can up on it. Far easier than using CDs.

I bought a YouTube downloader subscription for 19.99/year and I'm saving all the music I can think of in MP3 format. It will save the video (most of them) and convert them to MP3, all at the same time.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.

Last edited by GT182; 05-28-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:06 PM
Suspended

Cool Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms

Interesting discussions here for sure. I recall listening for hours same music from LP on high end (Maxell, Revox, Scotch 3-M) tape in reel-to-reel and cassette that sounded great.

Over the years these original beloved Analog creations have indeed been poked, prodded, manipulated etc. personally I'll take a CD version of any music over a compressed MP3 or other digital broadcast music...I say that @ same time of enjoying from time to time my multiple wide variety Pandora Channels .

I used to painstakingly record and archive music, and in fact still own Cassettes recorded on my Denon 3-head cassette deck, powered thru my Hk505 Harmon Karden Dual Powered integrated Amp through Bose 301 Series II speakers and Garard Tuntable for a clean pure sound...still have that equipment tucked away (minus the original turntable) and newer pieces over the years.

Current system is a bullet-proof Yamaha RXV1000, Boston Towers, Bose Center Channel and Rear Surround speakers...with couple of CD Players JBL & Technics, a Technics dual cassette DBX & Dolby deck, Sansui PCM that digitizes 1/2" VHS tape into digital 7-channel bitstreams viewable via the monitor out, Sony and Panasonic DVD/Blueray, DVR, etc. and the AT-PL150 turntable previously mentioned.
Side note: Always amazed at how well, high and mid-level, quality equipment performs and survives over decades. Excellent ROI - return on investment!

BTT - I'm sure some of you can remember the 1st DDD CD released in the 1980s, right? It was a BIG DEAL back then...was this "the begining of the end" for vinyl?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	399008  

Old 05-28-2015, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
These new LPs can be super expensive. What's this 180 vinyl they're talking about?

If you can, put your favorite music on USB drives. Our 2014 Focus has as USB slot and I can play music on it. Sounds great and you can swap change music on it if you want. The bigger the USB drive the more you can up on it. Far easier than using CDs.

I bought a YouTube downloader subscription for 19.99/year and I'm saving all the music I can think of in MP3 format. It will save the video (most of them) and convert them to MP3, all at the same time.
Haven't taken time to use those USB functions yet on my Mrs 2015 Fusion yet. He!! I only discovered the "S" sport mode a month or so ago...but leave it D anyway

Do you have any links for quick how-to's like YouTube, etc?

If I load those w music know she'll love the music via USB instead of the Serius/XM that replays same old same old on each channel

Old 05-28-2015, 11:19 PM

well as a pontiac guy and a musician and as a vintage audio junky first -half inch is right-and ill also mention an additional format quadraphonic im a big fan nothing like it -but and however like anything else there is a series of componants to make it work
that said yes analog is the way to go but for those that want to bridge get a 70's 80's reciever and hook your cd player to that while not 120% it will mell the digital edge off
and to the OP records are fantastic have hundreds meself-be carefull with the ole
too sensitive a cartridge will accenntuate more flaws than attributes