Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-2022, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Making a HFT cam live

Butler said they had moved away from HFT cams in their builds because of an incredibly high failure rate. I have broken in plenty of cams in Chevys and I am sure the procedure is the same but this is my plan, if anyone sees anything wrong please advise cause I cant fail before I start LOL. First off what weight oil should I use? Is there a difference between thin oil (10/30) getting there faster or heavy oil (20/50) coating better? I plan to use practically a whole tube of the cam grease but I also put the LUCAS break in lubricant in. Usually soak the lifters in oil over night, drop them in, put a little of that on each one then drop the rest in the crankcase. I try to seal it all up as fast as I can carefully after that and get it fired up before anything has a chance to run off. Crank it up and run it up to 2000 RPM and let it run 20-30 minutes.

Anyone tell me what else I can do to insure this goes trouble free? If I have a cam failure I am gonna cry. Butler told me to break it in with only the inner springs and then go back and put the other springs in and also to only break it in with 1.5 rockers.