THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

7am Finally get to use the F1 app on my phone.

patrick

Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The last 10 laps were more entertaining than 4hrs of left turn only.
Fantastic.

patrick

Old 04-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65WJ View Post
7am Finally get to use the F1 app on my phone.

patrick
How'd that work out for you, good, bad, ugly? Interested on if worth it or not...we usually DVR to FFWD commercials, etc. so haven't explored that app yet. Would you recommend using the app?

Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The last 10 laps were more entertaining than 4hrs of left turn only.
Fantastic.

patrick
We found most of the race interesting and exciting...3 week wait until next race will seem like a long, long time.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
How'd that work out for you, good, bad, ugly? Interested on if worth it or not...we usually DVR to FFWD commercials, etc. so haven't explored that app yet. Would you recommend using the app?
Have you viewed Live Timing on F1.com? It is that only in app form. My phone is a tad small, it would be great on an IPad.
It was about 4 seconds in front of my TV viewing.

This is a picture from lap 3. It has the commentary you can read.
I have it for Friday practice so I can watch instead of work. jk. still have to work but I can get the updates on who is doing what plus any news that may stir up.
Is it worth the 25 bucks? For me yes just to keep informed.

patrick

Old 04-22-2013, 08:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did anyone else notice how 'empty' the grandstands, and for that matter the entire race track was? Grandstands empty, parking lots empty, interior track had no activity except for race officials and teams.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post
Did anyone else notice how 'empty' the grandstands, and for that matter the entire race track was? Grandstands empty, parking lots empty, interior track had no activity except for race officials and teams.
Such is the story of Bahrain. There was a good possibility that this race would be cancelled due to the violent protests and political strife within the country, but they managed to get the race in. There were lots of arrests, the media were running into all sorts of problems (including threats to their safety), and many anticipated some sort of a violent protest or terrorist attack around the track facility. Thankfully, it all went fairly peacefully.

Just isn't a safe place to hold a race. It's like Luke Skywalker trying to get past the Sand People. Or like holding an F1 race in Chicago.

I also noticed the post-race podium interviews were very toned down. As each driver was introduced, there were only a handful of people applauding. The crews were busy trying to pack up their gear to get the hell out of Bahrain.

Sebastian Vettel has his 28th win, moving him past Jackie Stewart for 6th all-time on the Formula 1 wins list. Quite an accomplishment considering he's only 25 years old. And the Lotus cars (or the Loti as we like to call them) had a great finish taking 2nd (Raikkonen) and 3rd (Grosjean). Unfortunately, the Ferraris had a miserable day.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Just as in the past yrs - It's protest time again in Bahrain prior to the 2013 F1 race there
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9390DF20130410
Quote:
Originally Posted by 165th View Post
As Mike mentioned, see my quote above for the Reuters pre-race protest story link. Wouldn't be surprised if next year includes NJ/NYC race and Bahrain is skipped "for track reconfiguration" or other PC reason...till the local unrest ebbs for a time - if ever.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Suspended

Jensen Button and Sergio Perez reported to have "settled their differences" since Bahrain

Quote:
Button, the 2009 world champion, was back in 10th -- and complained bitterly after the race about Perez's aggressive tactics, with his car being hit by the Mexican's on more than one occasion.

"I've raced with many team-mates over the years, and I had quite an aggressive teammate in Lewis (Hamilton)," Button said.

"But I'm not used to driving along a straight and having a teammate coming alongside and banging wheels at 300 kilometers an hour. That is dangerous.

"I've had some tough fights in F1, but not quite as dirty as that, so he has to calm down otherwise something serious will happen soon."

Perez admitted in the post-race conference it had been "a bit too risky."

"Banging wheels was a bit too much," the 23-year-old said. "But he was as aggressive as I was as I went off the track a few times."

http://www.edition.cnn.com/2013/04/2...ort/index.html

Old 05-08-2013, 07:21 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up Petronas F1 Display @ OTC 2013

Cant beleive that I forgot to take a photo of the MB Petronas F1 display car at today's Offshore Technology Conference...there was a free drawing for tickets, trip, et al to the 2014 Malaysian GP.

I was busy chatting with a fellow attendee, and meeting another from CT commenting on this years tires and Hamilton's success so far with the new team. CT resident also races @ Lime Rock and we compared notes of my Formula Ford driving experience with Skip Barber Honolulu and his local track.

http://www.otcnet.org/2013/pages/sch...gram/index.php

Display appeared as one of the current cars. They also had a another display that was an in-car driver simulator...oh yeah, they also had mega displays of their oil and gas operations FWIW.

Old 05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up 2013 Spanish GP

Tune in this weekend - starting tonite - for the Spanish Grand Prix.

FIA 2013 Spanish GP - Preview link http://www.fia.com/news/2013-spanish-grand-prix-preview

Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 AM
Suspended

Exclamation SPOILER ALERT!

Quote:
Tune in this weekend - starting tonite - for the Spanish Grand Prix.

FIA 2013 Spanish GP - Preview link http://www.fia.com/news/2013-spanish-grand-prix-preview
Tire Compound changes have been made to please team requests. Look for some unintended left tire issues as a result...

Danica Patrick will be giving some kind of F1 interview acording to the practice session comentary. WTH - She is far from ANY championship...and coments were made that she is the right size for an F1 car, blah, blah, blah.

Will Buxton saved the day by simply saying "she's too old, what with all of the young up and comeing drivers". Good for him!

Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cant beleive that I forgot to take a photo of the MB Petronas F1 display car at today's Offshore Technology Conference...there was a free drawing for tickets, trip, et al to the 2014 Malaysian GP.

shame on you.
The ultimate in eye candy.

patrick

Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well how long will the Merc's stay in front before the rear tires go away and they fade?

patrick

Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up Should Be An Interesting Race

Q3 was a pleasant surprise IMO.

Looks like the teams got more than they bargained with the reworked tires using the new 2013 carcass with the reversion back to the 2012 rubber compounds placed on top.

That Force India delamination was quickly "covered with a red bag by Pirelli, but it was too late, everyone had already seen the damage..." Said Will Buxton. Reminded me of "tire-snakes" or retread tire failures.

Of course all bets are off with the high probability of rain on race day...which changes everything the teams have learned during practice and quali sessions.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

a very enjoyable contest. 2 thumbs up.

patrick

Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Got my tickets for the F1 races in Singapore. This will be three days of no sleep and lots of drinking.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428RA4 View Post
Got my tickets for the F1 races in Singapore. This will be three days of no sleep and lots of drinking.
You mean bottled water? Haaa Haaa

Would like to hear about your accommodations, environmental, travel, and race experience there. And of course as many pics you'd like to share here.

Enjoy!

Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Quote:
a very enjoyable contest. 2 thumbs up.

patrick
Agree 100%

Old 05-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are no words to describe a live F1 race, but I would love to share. The noise is intense and the live main stream bands rocking out in the center of the track is something that needs to be experienced. It's the only night race and for good reason. Singapore is bitching hot. The only way they can race through the town streets is at night. It's completely festive and so damn fun for all ages. You should see the Auzies and Brits. They blow that place out.