Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-09-2020, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ponyakr,
I guess I don't understand what the problem is.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 02-09-2020, 03:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are also Pontiacs with names that have nothing to do with Native Americans. Some of the famous ones are Hard Times, Tons-a-Fun, Super Sleeper, Kathy's Clown, Big Iron, Black Gold, etc.

As with other brands there are also cars with just the owners name on the side.

Then there are cars with the dealer's name on the doors. Royal Pontiac is the 1st that comes to mind. But there were many others, some that I'm sure I never heard of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Gold .jpg
Views:	101
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	531463   Click image for larger version

Name:	White Lightning .jpg
Views:	120
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	531464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dave Pruden .jpg
Views:	116
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	531465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Marson Pontiac .jpg
Views:	125
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	531466   Click image for larger version

Name:	Weidner Pontiac .jpg
Views:	126
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	531467  

Old 02-09-2020, 04:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Ponyakr,
I guess I don't understand what the problem is.

Stan
I don't have a problem with it at all, since I don't even have a Stocker, & no money to build or buy one with.

My local tracks only run brackets & index racing. I'm workin on a LOW budget bracket car. So, I don't have a dog in the hunt.

In this thread, I am just trying to provide info about Stock Eliminator racing. It will just be info that some may find interesting, & many won't. But, if by chance there may be one, or even a few, who may be considering building or buying a Stocker, I want to provide all the details I can which might help.

There are several guys here who know MUCH more than me about Stocker racing. But, most of those guys are busy with their own racing & don't have time to post on car forums. Some don't wanna give away any secrets that might help a competitor. And some just simply don't won't to waste time on a forum explaining the basics to mostly guys who have never & will never race a Stocker.

I understand all those reasons. But me, I'm retired, have lots of time to search for info & post what I find, and have had a very short experience running a couple of Pontiac Stockers. So, mostly, I'm available & willing.

But, if you meant you didn't understand my post about heads-up runs & how many of the quick guys feel about it, I just felt that anyone considering getting in to Stocker racing should be aware of some of what they can expect from many of those who have invested lots of money/time in their cars. Many of the slower Stocker guys will be friendly & welcome you, & some will even help you.

But some(NOT ALL) of the high dollar guys may not be very friendly & welcoming. Some will look at you as just another bracket racer invading their turf. And, if you should beat a really quick car, with your dial-in that is just barely under your index, they will NOT be happy campers. Those are just facts.

One other thing I've learned about many of those who have been doing it a long time, have spent LOTS of money, making sure that their cars will pass tech. If some of them know that anything about your car is not legal, no matter how minor, they will protest you. I was told by several that they would protest me, before I was even allowed to make a pass, if they knew my rear end was an inch or 2 short. Their reason for that was because they had spent so much making sure their rear end would pass tech.

So, it's enter at your own risk. But at least enter knowing some of what to expect. Hopefully, this thread will help to know at least SOME of what to expect.

I want to be VERY clear. Not all Stock racers are that hard nosed about it. But many are. There are some very nice Stock racers. We've met a few. It would be a VERY good idea to hook up with some nice Stock racers, BEFORE you attempt to build & race a Stocker. That would probably make your initiation into Stock racing much less traumatic. Experienced stock racers can help make sure your car will pass tech, & might help keep the wolves at bay, once at the track.

I'm reminded of that line in the theme song for the "Monk" TV shows that says "It's a jungle out there."

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-09-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:45 AM

Wow,talk about a lot of assumptions about things you don't know about. Glad that you're interested in Stock and Super Stock but I don't appreciate you implying that were all a bunch of rich dickheqds that don't want anyone invading our turf. Apparently you've never read any of the dime rocket posts on class racer,there are plenty of guys that don't have tons of money racing class cars and having fun.

You suggested on Classracer that heads up runs should be done away with to help out people that can't make their car go fast enough to win a heads up race. Why ? Thats not the way it works and why should rules be changed to make it easier? It's not supposed to be easy,Isn't that sort of like giving every kid a trophy ? Ive never met one high dollar guy who was pissed about losing to a low buck guy and I've been doing it for over twenty years. We all get pissed when we lose . Black ,white or red low buck or high buck we all get pissed when we lose.

You say we'd all lose it if we found out that you had the wrong rear in your car ,yeah because those are the rules,that's the way it is . Fair is fair ,right.

Like I said in the other forum the faster car doesn't always win a heads up race you have to be a good driver,too.

So stop making it sound like we're a bunch of rich stuck up snobs we aren't. Maybe you should go to the track and meet some of us instead of pounding away on the keyboard assuming you know what we're doing with our cars and trying to accomplish.

I'm sorry but if someone wanted to get into racing Stock and Super Stock a Pontiac is not their first choice unless that's what they really want. Why do you think Scott Burton sold his car and bought a new Mustang. The car is new and you can buy parts brand new for it. You know how I know? I was at the track and that's what he told me.

Last edited by F/S GTO; 02-09-2020 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"... if someone wanted to get into racing Stock and Super Stock a Pontiac is not their first choice unless that's what they really want..."

Yeah, it has always been better to go with a small block Chevy, because of parts availability & price. At least it's been that way as long as I've been around racing/high performance street. I think I went to my 1st race in 1966 or '67.

Now if someone chooses to buy a $100,000(or whatever they cost now) COPO or other FS car, that's great. If somebody wants to run a 4th gen car with some sort of LS combo, that's fine. If somebody wants to buy an older Chevy, with some sort of Chevy engine that must use a Q-jet carb, that's fine.

But, I know nothing about those engines, for racing. Don't even wanna learn.

This is a Pontiac forum. I ASSUME that most guys here are interested in Pontiac V8 engines, although there are sections for the later model stuff.

Anyhow, I'm not interested in, nor am I gonna encourage anyone here to choose some engine other than a Pontiac V8. I think that after all these years, most here know that.

I don't dislike ANYONE, because of the brand of car they race. We made good friends of some folks that raced a 4cyl Pinto. It was actually div 4 champ one year. Also raced at a small track where Greg Stanfied & his Dad Howard raced. They ran Chevy. But, Mr. Howard never failed to come buy our pit, say hi, & ask how our cars were running. Like we say in the South, the Stanfields wuz "good folks". And as I said, there are lots of good people in class racing.

I'm not close enuff to any track that runs class, to go & take time to meet racers. At my age & current situation, I can't take off on a road trip & be gone for the whole weekend. Also don't have the excess funds.

But, I have plenty of time to post on car forums, & read what others post there. And I've run across rude, bitter, name calling posts on several racing threads. Maybe the guys are all just kidding around with each other. Don't look that way to me. But I don't know any of the guys, & probably never will know most. So, I don't know exactly how serious any of 'em are with their harsh, rude, F-bomb filled posts. Comes across pretty strong to me.

NOW, that's all I'm gonna say about that. Will TRY to avoid comments about any negative posts.

But, I'm gonna try to continue to come up with all the info & pics I can about Pontiac V8 powered class racing, that might be helpful to, or at least entertaining to some who read it.

Not everybody will like what I say. I got a real rude reception here, when I 1st came on the forum. When I saw the word race, I thought that included slow, low budget, bracket racing like we'd been doing. Quickly found out that most of the guys who posted in the race section, were going much quicker & many were not even doing breakout racing. And many of those guys were quick to tell me that everything I was saying was absolutely wrong, & that I shouldn't be trying to tell these racing veterans, or anybody else, how to race. All I was doing, in my mind, was just sharing what we'd done to win lots of bracket races, at local tracks in our area. To say the VERY least, the thread was NOT received well, at all, by the bad boys in the race section. So, just by what I've read, I do have a little bit of an idea about the attitude of SOME racers.

Enuff said about all that.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-09-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:33 AM

You only know the attitudes of the racers that you've met personally. You're just ASSUMING about the racers you haven't met.

Last edited by F/S GTO; 02-09-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

F/S GTO
My memory is a little foggy. But I seem to remember went there were a greater number of stockers that would show up and you would have to run class before stock eliminator. Do you know when that changed?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 02-09-2020, 11:59 AM

Around 1977 about the same year that tracks were switching from the class format to the bracket format. A few things have changed since then. NHRA keeps cutting the entries for the Sportmen classes so we might not even be at National events in a few years but who knows.

Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this list of '63 Nats class winners. Several Pontiacs on the list, including Don Gay in A/S & Bill Abraham in A/SA. Pontiacs also picked up D/SA, F/SA, & C/S.

NHRA Junior Stock

You click up a larger image which makes it easy to read.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	'63 Nats Class Winners .jpg
Views:	132
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	531526  

Old 02-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiacs picked up the A/SA & E/SA classes at the '67 Spring Nats. The E/SA car also won Stock Elim at that race.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-09-2020, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At the start of the '66 season, Pontiacs held several nat records, including A/S, C/S, & D/SA.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-09-2020, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

At the '64 Winter Nats, Pontiacs won A/S, D/SA, E/SA, & I/SA.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 03:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the entry list for the '65 Winter Nats. There were lots of Pontiacs on the list.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 03:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiacs won 7 different classes at the '63 Winter Nats. I realize these results are not in order. Just posting them as I run across 'em.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 04:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiacs won 3 classes at the '69 Winter Nats. Lindy Lindholm won I/SA, in a '58. Don't know how many different Pontiacs he raced. I suppose he'd still be racing one, if it hadn't been stolen.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 04:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiacs won a couple of classes at the '70 Winter Nats. A Pontiac also held the K/SA nat record at the time.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some Stock rules from 1966. I thought they were very intersting.

NHRA Junior Stock

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This post says that Ramon Lowe set the C/SA mph record. But, the car appears to be a '62 GP, clearly marked E/SA.

NHRA Junior Stock
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ramon Lowe E-SA .jpg
Views:	107
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	531569  

Old 02-10-2020, 12:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In June '68, Pontiacs held several Stock records.

NHRA Junior Stock

Old 02-10-2020, 12:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There were 3 Pontiac class winners at the '69 US Nats.

NHRA Junior Stock