WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 02-02-2005, 08:34 PM

You guys can beat a dead horse senseless. The "64 GTO, whatever it was or wasn't, was an American car. It sure as heck didn't look like the datsun in the next lane. Todays GTO does! GM bites. Bill
Old 02-02-2005, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Black:
You guys can beat a dead horse senseless. The "64 GTO, whatever it was or wasn't, was an American car. It sure as heck didn't look like the datsun in the next lane. Todays GTO does! GM bites. Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It just looked like the Chevelle in the next lane!

Why do you post on a Pontiac board if you think that "GM bites"? You do realize that even the classic GTOs were made by GM......

"I open up three deuces, I'm Never Coming Back!"

Old 02-03-2005, 03:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Funny, all the American cars save for the Corvette looked the same, boxy. Today, 35 years later, they all look rounded.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:55 PM

I own a"68 GTO, "69 GTO, "74 Grandville, "00 Suburban, ("96 Tacoma). I'm a GM guy to the core. It just ticks me off when my marque of choice screws up so often. The suburban has "cold start knock", that's not gonna increase resale value. It's a nice truck but I feel I got screwed with a factory defect that the factory says is normal. The defect in the new GTO is it's styling. Lets say....you hook up with a gorgous lady. Does it matter if she can't cook? When I was shopping for the Suburban, the sales guy tried to talk me into an Avalanche. I told him that I would be really upset looking at that ugly thing in my driveway and having a payment book in my hands. Astethics (sp?) count for a lot....no Avalanche, no fat girls.....no GTO! Bill
Old 02-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by William Black:
I own a"68 GTO, "69 GTO, "74 Grandville, "00 Suburban, ("96 Tacoma). I'm a GM guy to the core. It just ticks me off when my marque of choice screws up so often. The suburban has "cold start knock", that's not gonna increase resale value. It's a nice truck but I feel I got screwed with a factory defect that the factory says is normal. The defect in the new GTO is it's styling. Lets say....you hook up with a gorgous lady. Does it matter if she can't cook? When I was shopping for the Suburban, the sales guy tried to talk me into an Avalanche. I told him that I would be really upset looking at that ugly thing in my driveway and having a payment book in my hands. Astethics (sp?) count for a lot....no Avalanche, no fat girls.....no GTO! Bill <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I, personally, never have liked the look of the Sub-burp-bus. However, I would never think of going into a forum for the sole purpose of bashing those owners who do like them. Must take some really low self-esteem.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:08 PM

Hey Rabon, I wasn't bashing the owners. I was bashing GM's styling decisions. Happy Valentines Day. Bill
Old 02-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well at least you are right about the Avalanche!
Old 03-03-2005, 01:16 PM

to me i wanted a new car when i got my 04, i didnt want some new era knock off
Old 03-04-2005, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Retro works for things that aren't supposed to last for years like cars. How sick are people going to be of the 05 Crapstang after a couple years, where could they possibly go with that car??

You know just for the record, I still see more GTO's than I do Crapstangs...
Old 03-05-2005, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by humbler:
Retro works for things that aren't supposed to last for years like cars. How sick are people going to be of the 05 Crapstang after a couple years, where could they possibly go with that car??

&gt;&gt;&gt; Some things are best left alone, such as the GTO, Mustang and Charger. Lets' not forget Super Bee emblage and air grabber hood scoops being being seen currently on Dodge Pickups "Reviving" these cars after a 35 + yr. retiremnet is a mistake. Ford was the only one that got it right, but I believe as you do, the novelty will soon wear off.

"You know just for the record, I still see more GTO's than I do Crapstangs... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>"

&gt;&gt;&gt; ...Have only seen 1 GTO here vs. 4 Mustangs. That's probably a reflection of both the cars and dealers. There was 0 promotion when the 04 GTOs arrived here. The Ford dealerships in SLC actively promoted the Mustang through radio spots, "open houses", giveaways, etc. The geniuses at Beavis and LutzHead Inc. have their heads up their asses if they think they can sell the GTO on name alone or making it elusive via a "scheduled" test drive. It's a Pontiac for crying out loud, not a Ferrari....
Old 03-05-2005, 09:11 PM

&gt;&gt;&gt; ...Have only seen 1 GTO here vs. 4 Mustangs. That's probably a reflection of both the cars and dealers. There was 0 promotion when the 04 GTOs arrived here. The Ford dealerships in SLC actively promoted the Mustang through radio spots, "open houses", giveaways, etc. The geniuses at Beavis and LutzHead Inc. have their heads up their asses if they think they can sell the GTO on name alone or making it elusive via a "scheduled" test drive. It's a Pontiac for crying out loud, not a Ferrari....[/QUOTE]
The GTO still sold more than the crapy cobra in 04 ... don't forget that "Mr I don't really have a red70 goat"
Old 03-06-2005, 12:39 AM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
&gt;&gt;&gt; ...Have only seen 1 GTO here vs. 4 Mustangs. That's probably a reflection of both the cars and dealers. There was 0 promotion when the 04 GTOs arrived here. The Ford dealerships in SLC actively promoted the Mustang through radio spots, "open houses", giveaways, etc. The geniuses at Beavis and LutzHead Inc. have their heads up their asses if they think they can sell the GTO on name alone or making it elusive via a "scheduled" test drive. It's a Pontiac for crying out loud, not a Ferrari.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The GTO still sold more than the crapy cobra in 04 ... don't forget that "Mr I don't really have a red70 goat"[/QUOTE]

The '05 GTO will likely outsell the '05 Cobra as well. In any event, I spot more '04 GTOs in my area than '04 'stangs. As far as I've seen so far, there's one '05 GTO (mine) and one '05 'stang (a V6).

Also, the GTOs don't need some giant badging on them to let everyone know that it isn't a V6 or a weak V8 with problem heads. I know immediately when I spot a GTO that it has the goods.
Old 03-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Chief

While I do love the styling of the new Mustang, the novelty has worn off for me. I can't drive ten minutes on the freeway without seeing 3 or 4 of them. I do like their retro styling, but it seems everyone's getting them and they'll soon be as common as PT Cruisers. I have yet to see an '04-'05 GTO on the road. That makes me want the GTO more, because I want something not everyone's got. It does look similar to many other cars from a distance, but as others have already stated that can be said about the early GTO's and many other other great cars over the years. Pictures on a website do not do the car justice, and you have to see it in person. I think it's a damn nice looking car, but that's just my opinion. I've checked out both the Mustang and the GTO at various dealers. Aside from the GTO's performance advantages, what does it for me is that the car doesn't feel "cheap" like the Mustang and other cars. Slam the doors, trunk & hood on a Mustang (or any number of other American-branded cars), then do the same with the GTO. The GTO makes a solid thud like a BMW or Mercedes...the others don't.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Senior Chief

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff R.:
While I do love the styling of the new Mustang, the novelty has worn off for me. I can't drive ten minutes on the freeway without seeing 3 or 4 of them. I do like their retro styling, but it seems everyone's getting them and they'll soon be as common as PT Cruisers. I have yet to see an '04-'05 GTO on the road. That makes me want the GTO more, because I want something not everyone's got. It does look similar to many other cars from a distance, but as others have already stated that can be said about the early GTO's and many other other great cars over the years. Pictures on a website do not do the car justice, and you have to see it in person. I think it's a damn nice looking car, but that's just my opinion. I've checked out both the Mustang and the GTO at various dealers. Aside from the GTO's performance advantages, what does it for me is that the car doesn't feel "cheap" like the Mustang and other cars. Slam the doors, trunk & hood on a Mustang (or any number of other American-branded cars), then do the same with the GTO. The GTO makes a solid thud like a BMW or Mercedes...the others don't. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree and, as I've said before, the only draw-back was that you have to put the window down to hear that wonderful V8 roar! The car is solid.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rabon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
&gt;&gt;&gt; ...Have only seen 1 GTO here vs. 4 Mustangs. That's probably a reflection of both the cars and dealers. There was 0 promotion when the 04 GTOs arrived here. The Ford dealerships in SLC actively promoted the Mustang through radio spots, "open houses", giveaways, etc. The geniuses at Beavis and LutzHead Inc. have their heads up their asses if they think they can sell the GTO on name alone or making it elusive via a "scheduled" test drive. It's a Pontiac for crying out loud, not a Ferrari.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The GTO still sold more than the crapy cobra in 04 ... don't forget that "Mr I don't really have a red70 goat" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt;&gt;&gt; Hey butthead: Read my post again dipstick. I wasn't talking about overall sales but rather the lack of sales in a particualr geographical region...and that it was primarily a reflection of the lack of dealer involvement. The Pontiac dealers here did nothing to promote the GTO while the Ford dealers did a good job of promoting the new Mustang and actively encouraged people to try a test drive. No wonder you see more Mustangs here then GTOs. Should I explain that again? Oh and by the way: What volume percentage of those GTO sales were in congruence with the original MSRP?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rabon:

"...Also, the GTOs don't need some giant badging on them to let everyone know that it isn't a V6 or a weak V8 with problem heads. I know immediately when I spot a GTO that it has the goods. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt;&gt;&gt; Wasn't that the point I was making by referencing the large obnoxious Super Bee emblage on Dodge trucks and "reviving" musclecar names by attaching them via highly visable means to other vehicles? I guess that concept was beyond your diminished mental capacity. Go back and read my post again s l o w l y. You just may see that I was agreeing with you. Go on...put your Playstation away and read it again.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:04 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
The GTO still sold more than the crapy cobra in 04 ... don't forget that "Mr I don't really have a red70 goat" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

&gt;&gt;&gt; Hey butthead: Read my post again dipstick. I wasn't talking about overall sales but rather the lack of sales in a particualr geographical region...and that it was primarily a reflection of the lack of dealer involvement. The Pontiac dealers here did nothing to promote the GTO while the Ford dealers did a good job of promoting the new Mustang and actively encouraged people to try a test drive. No wonder you see more Mustangs here then GTOs. Should I explain that again? Oh and by the way: What volume percentage of those GTO sales were in congruence with the original MSRP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK "Mr Truck Driver now an Attorney" Quite frankly I don't care what meaningless drivel was in your post, I was merely pointing out to you that overall the 04 GTO had outsold the 04 Cobra.
So much for the good promotion job that Ford did
LMAO, Attorney...... what a joke!
Old 03-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ozzy:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by red70goat:
[QUOTE]

&gt;&gt;&gt; Hey butthead: Read my post again dipstick. I wasn't talking about overall sales but rather the lack of sales in a particualr geographical region...and that it was primarily a reflection of the lack of dealer involvement. The Pontiac dealers here did nothing to promote the GTO while the Ford dealers did a good job of promoting the new Mustang and actively encouraged people to try a test drive. No wonder you see more Mustangs here then GTOs. Should I explain that again? Oh and by the way: What volume percentage of those GTO sales were in congruence with the original MSRP? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"...I was merely pointing out to you that overall the 04 GTO had outsold the 04 Cobra..."

&gt;&gt;&gt; Again, at what MSRP?

"So much for the good promotion job that Ford did "

&gt;&gt;&gt; Again: A local observation , not a statement on overall national sales or nationwide dealership involvement in promoting the GM Monaro. You do know the difference don't you? Apparantly not.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Anyone seen the April issue of Car and Driver? They received an astronomical amount of negative feedback as a result of their Mustang win over the GTO due to the "gotta have it" factor. Two, count it, "2" respondents agreed and, are you ready for this, 123, ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY THREE disagreed with them. And I was wondering why I've seen more goats around here than the '05 Mustangs with the "gotta have it" factor. The GTO may have had some growing pains but the truth is getting around. Eventually more people will come to realize why we '04, '05 owners are so intrigued with this car.
Old 03-06-2005, 07:55 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ozzy:
[QUOTE]

"...I was merely pointing out to you that overall the 04 GTO had outsold the 04 Cobra..."

&gt;&gt;&gt; Again, at what MSRP?

"So much for the good promotion job that Ford did "

&gt;&gt;&gt; Again: A local observation , not a statement on overall national sales or nationwide dealership involvement in promoting the GM Monaro. You do know the difference don't you? Apparantly not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"At what MSRP"
Do you know what MSRP means? Go look it up and then you will realize just how stupid your question is. Or maybe you won't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>