THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are we all fixing to go to war over this idiots folly ?

Get with it guys

Old 10-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize455 View Post
What, you expected people to applaud you for wasting a rare car like that? What a jackass indeed. "Whaa whaa I'm the victim here!" Total jackass. You are needlessly, greedily cutting up a rare car and flagrantly rubbing it in the faces of the enthusiasts who care the most, and then you come back looking for some mic-drop sympathy? Yeah, total jackass. I think I speak for a lot of people here who are way more disgusted with you than you are with this thread.
Agreed!!

Old 10-08-2018, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I've reflected and I'll be honest. I might buy a car for an engine. But I hope I would know that starting a thread and rubbing it in the faces of those that live and breath those cars is pretty wrong. I might do it like a thief in the night, but I would know many would see it wrong and it would be really effin rude to talk about it. Apologies for even participating in this discussion.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Well, I've reflected and I'll be honest. I might buy a car for an engine. But I hope I would know that starting a thread and rubbing it in the faces of those that live and breath those cars is pretty wrong. I might do it like a thief in the night, but I would know many would see it wrong and it would be really effin rude to talk about it. Apologies for even participating in this discussion.
That's an honest summary. We all know this kind of thing happens and has happened pretty much since the dawn of the automobile, and truth be told, many of us have taken cars off the road that deserved better and potentially could have been sold intact if some reasonable effort was made to find a buyer.. but coming here and gloating about it and throwing in the faces of people who do in fact care is callous to say the very least. The nonsensical claim that it definitely would have been scrapped if it weren't for this guy? Asinine. As this thread has shown, there is real interest, and had this guy made some legitimate effort to sell it for a realistic price, I bet he'd be counting his cash right now instead of reading all this crap, and he'd soon go out and buy himself another 428 that would suit his purposes just as well if not even better, and the car would live on. Everybody has to make the financial decisions that are right for them, but this guy knows enough to post about the car here, knows that people care about it and want it, and throws it back in our faces anyway. That's the shameful part.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also wish I wouldn't have been sucked into this thread. I love the big cars, they are my favorite including the many GTO's I have owned. To each his own. I thought the OP had little knowledge of these cars and myself and others on here were happy to help with information. I did get the vibe right away though that he had engine swap in mind all the way. It's just a sad deal but as mentioned, it happens all the time. I once parted out a 67 2+2 428 HO 3 speed stick coupe. But it was hit in the rear and I really mean hit. So hard, one rear tire was off the ground and the roof was buckled so hard it popped the trim off the windshield. Sold parts from that car to people from all over the world. Felt OK about it when it was all over but still think now, with the value so much higher, it possibly could have been saved. This 4-door, while not a good candidate for restoration, would have made a cool driver. But as stated, that's not what many in the hobby want. They want a trailer queen quality car which would cost a fortune on that car. I refuse to trash a Pontiac enthusiast for buying a Pontiac and using the engine. I think it was a bit disingenuous to bait this thread the way he did and then try to turn it into a retirement plan.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I’m not sure if I was called an idiot or not? I don’t really care.

I just see it differently than a lot of you. Many see it as he is trying to rub it in your face- I see it more as look atthis cool car I found before I take what I need off of it. He was just showing a cool car. That’s it.

I think a few of you are taking this way too seriously. The guy bought the car and he can set fire to it if he wants to. I agree it is a shame to take it apart after being together for so long- but I would probably do the same thing or sell it to someone who really wanted it.

The way the owner has been treated I’m not surprised he isn’t offering any deals to those that criticized him.

It looks Ike the car was for sale and no one had enough interest to buy it

I would bet the loudest members on this topic are the last to make an offer on the car; but will be waiting in line to buy the rare parts off of it. Maybe I’m wrong, not my car/not my fight.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:55 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Op people I think the beating of this horse has come to an end. Locking thread.