Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-27-2024, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those lube options are suppose to help extended normal service life. If you quickly loose a lobe or two because of some issue with a break in, soft metal, or improper/poor machining it is doubtful those lube options are of much help.

I helped on an engine with the Rhoads superlube’s and an 041 style cam (60919 Crower) that is getting close to 30K miles, and still going. Was just inspected recently and put in a different vehicle, looks good yet.

I agree that it doesn’t make sense the groove is needed up to the top of the lifter. I think it was just easy to machine doesn’t seem to hurt.

Some guys make a groove on the lifter with a dremel and small rotary cutter. There are several kit’s available to groove the bores on the block for extra oiling.

I would not trade a older pre 2020 HLJ for current Crower’s cam saver. The older Crower’s HFT lifter were made by HLJ, I don’t know who makes them now. If you buy a HLJ made lifter from Crower it will be advertised that way, and is more expensive.

Last edited by Jay S; 02-27-2024 at 01:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay S For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay S View Post
Those lube options are suppose to help extended normal service life. If you quickly loose a lobe or two because of some issue with a break in, soft metal, or improper/poor machining it is doubtful those lube options are of much help.

I helped on an engine with the Rhoads superlube’s and an 041 style cam (60919 Crower) that is getting close to 30K miles, and still going. Was just inspected recently and put in a different vehicle, looks good yet.

I agree that it doesn’t make sense the groove is needed up to the top of the lifter. I think it was just easy to machine doesn’t seem to hurt.

Some guys make a groove on the lifter with a dremel and small rotary cutter. There are several kit’s available to groove the bores on the block for extra oiling.

I would not trade a older pre 2020 HLJ for current Crower’s cam saver. The older Crower’s HFT lifter were made by HLJ, I don’t know who makes them now. If you buy a HLJ made lifter from Crower it will be advertised that way, and is more expensive.
Seems like a guy could just get a grinding wheel and just make a small flat area on the side of the lifter, below the oil groove?

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.