Old 08-13-2017, 12:40 AM

Default 1964 Tri Power Vacuum Canister

Looking for pictures, dimensions, description of canister used with tri power vacuum linkage. Were these made by Trico?

Old 08-13-2017, 01:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

#9776278 services 64,65,66 GTO only.

Came on all 1964 GTO's with Tri-Power.

Used on 65 and 66 GTO's equipped with Tri-Power / Automatic.

10-3/4" x 4-3/4"

Mounted inside of RH inner fender.

I have several OEM vacuum canisters. May sell a couple.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO Automatic Vacuum Tank $165 (3).jpg
Views:	86
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	461015   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO Automatic Vacuum Tank $165 (5).jpg
Views:	83
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	461016   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO Automatic Vacuum Tank $165 (6).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	461017   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 GTO Automatic Vacuum Tank $165 (7).jpg
Views:	81
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	461018   Click image for larger version

Name:	64-66 Vacuum Reserve Tank #9776278 (3).jpg
Views:	114
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	461019  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 08-13-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Boost Engineer

Very Nice Pictures. I have a couple of the Vacuum Cans but my 64 GTO never had the
Vacuum stuff plumbed on the engine. Rochester Products 64 Mechanical Linkage deal.
Dick B sells an outstanding replica of the original 64 GTO parts. With ALL of the small parts needed too.

Maybe I will sell my Vacuum Cans at some point. What do you think they are worth?
You can PM me with the info. I know what I paid Joe Maye for a mint one he had years ago.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2017, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Very Nice Pictures. my 64 GTO never had the
Vacuum stuff plumbed on the engine.
Tom,
Thanks about my pics!

So, your saying your 64 coming down the "factory assembly line" never received any vacuum linkage.
The assembly line workers installed the mechanical linkage on the line ???

Chris

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:50 PM
Boost Engineer

It has been posted several times in other threads.

When the Service Package parts for the Mechanical Linkage 64 Tri-Powers were offered to the parts people, they needed a
"Mule Set-up" to verify the parts apparently worked.
My car was a "Brass Hat" car. That means a high level Executive drove it before it went into the public sales que.
At Ford, we called that "B-plan" vehicles. Vehicles owned by GM that were driven by Pontiac Exectutives would have a similar plan.

A person could "Tag" a vehicle for purchase (after the Executive drove it a year) and you got a great deal on the price.
So my Uncle, a Pontiac dealer for 67 years, knew the Brass Hat at Pontiac who was over National Pontiac Sales.
When he turned in the vehicle, my Uncle tagged it for me.
1964 Tri-Power 4 speed, Convertible with Metallic Brakes, Reverb, Wood Wheel, and several other options.
It also had the Mechanical Linkage Tri-Power on the engine.
So obviously the engine probably came down the line (in April) with the Vacuum set-up on it but the intake/Tri-power was removed (for the Brass Hat) and the Mechanical Linkage set-up installed. (Complete with Rochester Products Engineering Part Numbers on the parts.) They released the Service Parts for the Mechanical Linkage also in the April/May time frame to the parts distribution people.
I spoke with the Rochester Engineers years later when I worked for Holley carburetor and they verified that the set-up was a "Test Part for Evaluation by a Pontiac Executive". Pontiac Eventually released a Kit for other 64 GTO guys thru the parts system, as mentioned above. Dick B has that info (as he very accurately reproduced the 64 Service Parts) based on the info I provided from my Prototype Test set-up.

So I am saying the car was built in April and Rochester and the Executive knew the special Intake/Carbs were coming. I can't say where the swap was made or if there was a swap, after it came off the line vs just installing the parts on the Brass Hat's GTO at some point where they normally would install the Vacuum set-up.

I cannot answer your question on that deal as never worked in a plant like Keith Seymore did. But my deal is the original 1st set-up for the service parts.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi Tom. I have wondered this before. Does your rear carb have the mech. linkage lever swedged on or screwed on? Meaning did they replace the carb or just add the lever. I don't remember if the kit came with the lever and screw, base Assy or new shaft Assy. Thanks. "Bill"!

Old 08-13-2017, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Springs!

The most overlooked aspect of changing a Vacuum linkage to a Mechanical linkage on a Tri-Power are the two throttle shaft (the end carbs) return springs.

Vacuum linkage used the heavy spring.
Mechanical linkage used the light spring.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	End Carb Return Springs.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	461094   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Carb Return Spring-Auto.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	461095   Click image for larger version

Name:	End Carb Return Spring-Manual.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	461096  

Old 08-14-2017, 11:16 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Hi Tom. I have wondered this before. Does your rear carb have the mech. linkage lever swedged on or screwed on? Meaning did they replace the carb or just add the lever. I don't remember if the kit came with the lever and screw, base Assy or new shaft Assy. Thanks. "Bill"!
No complete rear base in the kit of parts. My levers are swedged on the shaft, a RP serial number on each lever, two "position holes" on the rear lever, and factory peaning of the screws holding the throttle blades to the shaft and base assembly. I owned two "Kits" that also had the swedged lever on the shaft but obviously would not have the screws peaned on the shafts in the factory manner.

The kit is/was very similar to Dick B's parts except that you got a Rochester Products swedged rear lever and replacement screws.

60sstuff brings up a good point, the pedal effort was high on my vehicle (being the first one of the kit) because the carb springs were heavy Vacuum System springs. Maybe this was to tell the Execs wife that she was going to get a surge in power if she when farther into the throttle but I later changed those as by the time I got the car the kits pieces were out in the system and 65 GTOs were being made with mechanical linkage and soft springs.

The 65 System is a far better system vs the Tube and Plunger "SD System" /64 Kit Parts which can have the parts installed incorrectly and the rear carbs hang open when the plunger falls out and drops/hangs up on the heat cross-over. Even into 1966 the pics in the advertising said the plunger went on the rear carb BAD IDEA if you had those parts.
The actual 65 and 66 parts/cars received the "TRAPPED SLOTTED ROD" systems.

Hope this helps 60sstuff.

Dick B, John V, and I have discussed this 64 linkage many times.

Tom V.