Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Numbers matching rear end

Close date codes on this 65 GTO.

OEM differential that still retains its factory brake drums.
I couldn't see the number code on the KH drums until I took a digital photo. Still rather difficult to read.

H84 = Aug. 8, 1964
RR Brake Drum 223 = Aug. 10, 1964
LR Brake Drum 224 = Aug. 11, 1964
Axle code WF = 3.23 open
Stamped P 3.23
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0136.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	461226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1264.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	461227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1259.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	461228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	461229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0135.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	461230  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, I'm not sure if it was your intent, but the P 3.23 coding is probably the most interesting thing.

For those that might not know it, PMD coded the '65 rears for the 1st time with a 2 character alpha code as they went to that style of manifest coding for the first time.

That is represented by the WF sticker.

But this rear assembly was coded in the '64 format on the axle tube. Even though it does have the new for '65 center casting 9779822 with the large ears on the housing for the bigger than '64 bushings.

Evidence that the new manifest code stamping had not yet been initiated at the point this rear was assembled. All very good info for the '65 guys. I have a similar axle with a May '65 casting date, the stamped code is 2 character alpha, IIRC it is stamped "WD".

What is the Time Built code and was it final assembled at Pontiac?

I'm thinking it may have been a very early build.

Any idea how early the stamped code changed to the 2 character alpha coding?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Chris, I'm not sure if it was your intent, but the P 3.23 coding is probably the most interesting thing.

For those that might not know it, PMD coded the '65 rears for the 1st time with a 2 character alpha code as they went to that style of manifest coding for the first time.

That is represented by the WF sticker.

But this rear assembly was coded in the '64 format on the axle tube. Even though it does have the new for '65 center casting 9779822 with the large ears on the housing for the bigger than '64 bushings.

Evidence that the new manifest code stamping had not yet been initiated at the point this rear was assembled. All very good info for the '65 guys. I have a similar axle with a May '65 casting date, the stamped code is 2 character alpha, IIRC it is stamped "WD".

What is the Time Built code and was it final assembled at Pontiac?

I'm thinking it may have been a very early build.

Any idea how early the stamped code changed to the 2 character alpha coding?
John,

Yes, I'm aware that the RH axle tube is of the 64 style with the stamped ratio. Just another 64 carry over into very early 65. This car has other 64 characteristics on it.

I showed the date codes for the carrier and drums of Aug. 64 which lends to a very early 65 build.

Also my signature at bottom shows 11A Baltimore build.
Bare in mind this was a "Strike" affected car, so it may have been a little earlier finale build if not for the shut down between (Sept. 25 thru Oct. 25).

All dates on this 65 are mid Aug. into early Sept.

Thanks for the input!

Chris.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.

Last edited by 60sstuff; 08-15-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, didn't realize this was from your own GTO, thought you found something new.

The strike definitely skewed things. Wonder how much dust had collected on the rear axle before it went into your build??!!