Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-18-2015, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Which Dynomax Turbo??

Current setup with headers, x pipe, and magnaflow 14" stainless mufflers is just a tad too loud for my taste. I ran the 14" Dynomax Turbo in my last car, and really liked the milder tone.

Now, the 14" Dynomax would be a simple bolt in replacement for me, but the 20" version of this muffler would require some exhaust work, which I would likely have done at a shop.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17748

Does anyone know what the different characteristics are between the two versions of this muffler?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quick update... Called customer service at Dynomax. Guy said the longer muffler will typically be a little quieter, but both have the same flow rates, etc.

Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fwiw I went with tht vt. Nice sounding unit with 3 inch and x pipe on a TRI y. I know you weren't asking but thought I would toss it out.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 07-20-2015, 12:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Fwiw I went with tht vt. Nice sounding unit with 3 inch and x pipe on a TRI y. I know you weren't asking but thought I would toss it out.
Steve
What x pipes are you using? Did you notice any power loss with the VTs? I'm debating between the two now for use with the RAR manifolds and 2.5" x pipes. How's the sound at idle? The WAF (wife acceptance factor) leans towards the quieter but I'd like a good idle but without the highway drone.

Old 07-20-2015, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Using pypes setup w pypes crossover. Started with violators which sounded awsome but wife said mufflers or me had to go
No loss of power noted with vt's. None of the clank that they had with earlier versions. Sound good, punch it and pow.
I like em.
Steve

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Current setup with headers, x pipe, and magnaflow 14" stainless mufflers is just a tad too loud for my taste. I ran the 14" Dynomax Turbo in my last car, and really liked the milder tone.

Now, the 14" Dynomax would be a simple bolt in replacement for me, but the 20" version of this muffler would require some exhaust work, which I would likely have done at a shop.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-17748

Does anyone know what the different characteristics are between the two versions of this muffler?
I'm interested in the difference between the old and new because I have the 14" Magnaflows and freakin' love the sound. I have a stock '72 350 with logs and h-pipe 2.5" duals. I will be going up to 433ci. and oversized RARE Manifolds. Was there just a header change on yours?

Old 07-20-2015, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Previous car with the Dynomax had RAM Air manifolds, 2.5" pipes, and an H-pipe.

New car has full length headers, 2.5" pipes, X-pipe and the 14" magnaflow.

I love the sound of the magnaflows when I get on it, but where it bugs me is just slow cruising around the neighborhood. part of the problem is that my Converter is a little looser than it needs to be, so am giving it a bit more throttle to get things going. I would say most "hot rodders" would be just fine with how my car runs with the magnaflow. In addition, yours should be a bit milder with the Ram Air manifolds. I have a feeling you will like it the way it is.

The 14" dynomax is cheap enough, so wont be out too much if they dont do what i want. Next option is a 20" Dynomax, but I would then need to customize my pipes.

I ordered up the 14"dynomax and will let you know how it works out!

Old 07-21-2015, 09:23 AM
Senior Chief

Are you guys sourcing the x pipes direct from Pypes or another vendor? My builder is trying to convince me to go with the maganflows over the dynomax if I use the 2.5" RARs. Thinks I will like the sound more but I want to minimize drone so I'm still undecided. How quiet were the dynos on your prior set-up?

Old 07-21-2015, 09:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
Are you guys sourcing the x pipes direct from Pypes or another vendor? My builder is trying to convince me to go with the maganflows over the dynomax if I use the 2.5" RARs. Thinks I will like the sound more but I want to minimize drone so I'm still undecided. How quiet were the dynos on your prior set-up?
My teenage son thought they were too quiet. They were very quiet at low RPM, but would still have a performance sound when you got on it.

I should be able to provide a Dynomax vs Magnaflow w/headers compassion later this week. BTW, my X pipe looks like it came with a preconfigured kit, came with the car.

Old 07-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My brother has Ulta flows on his 66. Doug headers to 3" to muffler and 2.5" tail pipes. It sounds really nice.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default update

After a few modifications (of course), got the 14" Dynomax super turbos on. I first installed one muffler, then made a sound comparison by putting a piece of plywood down the center of car so I could listed to both sides. Not a perfect test, as the X pipe would even things out somewhat.

The Magnaflow sounded better at idle with a deeper rumble, where the dynomax had a more of a slight crackle to it. Under load, you could definitely hear the differences, as the dynomax was quieter.

Completed the other side, and the dynomax setup is much quieter than the magnaflow, especially around the 2,500 rpm cruising speed. Some might think it is too quiet (my teenage son will hate it), but I like the milder tone, which still lets you know something is under the hood when you get on it.

Thinking back to how my 66 sounded with the dynomax and ram air manifolds, I dont think there is much difference now with the headers.

If you like a little rumble, the magnaflow is good. If you are after a quieter ride, the 14" dynomax does the trick

Old 07-24-2015, 07:29 AM
Senior Chief

Glad you like them and it worked out for you. Sounds like you found the right match. When you refer to "a little rumble" with the magnaflows, how much is "a little" at speed? Was there noticeable drone, or was it just a bit too loud in the cabin at 2,500 cruise?

Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Twistytee View Post
Glad you like them and it worked out for you. Sounds like you found the right match. When you refer to "a little rumble" with the magnaflows, how much is "a little" at speed? Was there noticeable drone, or was it just a bit too loud in the cabin at 2,500 cruise?
Drove a few miles this morning. The primary characteristic of the magnaflow I did not like was when first accelerating from a stop, such as driving through the neighborhood. The rumble & drone was a bit much. Once driving down the road, I liked the magnaflow, probably more than the Dynomax, as they sounded "mean". I assume the wind noise, etc, was driving the exhaust noise back at road speed. I liked accelerating a little going over a bridge to hear the magnaflow exhaust resonating off the side rails . Keep in mind that when I reference drone, it was still nothing like the Flowmaster 40s that were once on my previous car!

With that said, I will definitely like the Dynomax when going on an upcoming 500 mile road trip! It is probably safe to say that my neighbors already like the dynomax better...

Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeklm View Post
Drove a few miles this morning. The primary characteristic of the magnaflow I did not like was when first accelerating from a stop, such as driving through the neighborhood. The rumble & drone was a bit much. Once driving down the road, I liked the magnaflow, probably more than the Dynomax, as they sounded "mean". I assume the wind noise, etc, was driving the exhaust noise back at road speed. I liked accelerating a little going over a bridge to hear the magnaflow exhaust resonating off the side rails . Keep in mind that when I reference drone, it was still nothing like the Flowmaster 40s that were once on my previous car!

With that said, I will definitely like the Dynomax when going on an upcoming 500 mile road trip! It is probably safe to say that my neighbors already like the dynomax better...
How about adding a video and/or audio recording of the new sound on the "exhaust sounds" Thread!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=681726

Old 07-25-2015, 01:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default super turbo

from torque tech 3" with pipe and dougs headers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGMeI8Y9zuo