Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 07-19-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Chrome seat knob from Ames question…

Click image for larger version

Name:	FE2E8A04-43F7-4C41-81AA-B994C55D8F50.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	570088

So I got these chrome seat knob replacements from Ames. Question….am I missing an insert clip or something ? I figured I could push this right on the steel lever on the side of the seat…BUT NOOOOOO….The opening in the new chrome knob is huge and of course won’t stay on. What’s the remedy? And Thanks for your time.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

more aftermarket Krapp

are your seat sliders originals ?

Old 07-19-2021, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Thelander View Post
more aftermarket Krapp

are your seat sliders originals ?
Yes they are

Old 07-20-2021, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would “Ames” repop a part that was useless ?

Old 07-20-2021, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Attachment 570088

So I got these chrome seat knob replacements from Ames. Question….am I missing an insert clip or something ? I figured I could push this right on the steel lever on the side of the seat…BUT NOOOOOO….The opening in the new chrome knob is huge and of course won’t stay on. What’s the remedy? And Thanks for your time.
The original knobs have an Allen-head set screw on the bottom. Do the re-pops?

Old 07-20-2021, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Makes me think of the door mirrors that I bought from them. They look nice. Just move every time you close the door. :( Anyone solve this cleverly??

Don't mean to hijack your post. Good luck with the knobs! Can you just drill and tap the bottom for 10-24 setscrew

Old 07-20-2021, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They offered two kinds when I bought mine. A chromed plastic knob and a chromed cast/pot metal knob. The chromed cast/pot metal knob has the set screw and was real nice. I purchased for bench seat slider, bucket seat backs and a fold down rear seat. 69 Firebird was the application.

Tim john---

Old 07-21-2021, 12:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

66 had the screw and they were metal knobs fairly sure at least the original
66 headrest recliner bucket seats I have are that way ,,,

I just bought a pair of the same for a customers 68 rag top ,,, original tracks too ,,from ames and they wouldnt stay on I threw em away
just like the piece of krap 68 parts place clock they sell

200.00 flushed down the krapper ...........

Old 07-21-2021, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mean to get on the "let's knock Ames bandwagon", but when I got my car, I remember that Year One was the industry leader because they had a reputation for only selling good parts - none of the garbage that everyone else was known to have offered.

I am all for offering different parts, but if they don't work as the purchaser might expect, then maybe a disclaimer, or suggestions on how to make the park function if the purchaser has no other option.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 07-21-2021 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:16 PM

Have you talked to Ames customer service yet?

Old 07-21-2021, 05:01 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Attachment 570088

I apologize for the delayed response! What year model is your car? The reason I ask is there is a 1st and 2nd design knob. The second design that we sell has a 1/4"x5/16" hole, where as the first design was smaller. Earlier cars had a smaller lever. We also have a diecast option (part # A135B), which uses the set screw style. We list both of these in the catalog and have a more in depth description on our website. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2021, 05:06 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I don't mean to get on the "let's knock Ames bandwagon", but when I got my car, I remember that Year One was the industry leader because they had a reputation for only selling good parts - none of the garbage that everyone else was known to have offered.

I am all for offering different parts, but if they don't work as the purchaser might expect, then maybe a disclaimer, or suggestions on how to make the park function if the purchaser has no other option.
We strive to provide the most in depth review of everything we sell, where in almost all cases it's something that only we provide to that level. We also strive to have the most available for your classic Pontiacs; so in a case where a product is inferior, we will give it a quality description and do our best to let you know exactly what you're getting. If this is in fact not the case with something you've purchased from us, please let us know! We will absolutely assist you, and even edit our description if necessary.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:08 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post
Makes me think of the door mirrors that I bought from them. They look nice. Just move every time you close the door. :( Anyone solve this cleverly??

Don't mean to hijack your post. Good luck with the knobs! Can you just drill and tap the bottom for 10-24 setscrew
We've been producing our standard door mirrors for decades now, with great luck. Every now and then of course there can be a defect in the bunch. Original GM mirrors will even do this after years of wear and abuse. If this is something that you've purchased from us somewhat recently, please let us know! We'd love to assist you.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had no idea that a more in depth description was online.

Good to know.

I prefer to purchase from you guys because you are the only Pontiac company out there today;
There are others that I will not deal with because of the garbage, and the fact that they list incorrect Camaro parts as being for Firebirds... typical of multi-marque/brand restoration suppliers.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-21-2021, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Quote:

Would disagree Year One was never the "Industry Leader". Y1, simply from the beginning (mid 80's), offered numerous different marquee catalogues. Y1's GM marquee catalogues were filled with many early repro & GM Service parts, but not near the volumous amount of parts of today's Ames catelogue or Inline Tube website listings. Ames had been on the scene along with Kirban, Bob Antelman, as well as a few others that just distributed many suppliers lines. . Ames catalogue, for decades, was better at calling out the wheat from the chaff (aka Crap). Steve Ames was also putting $ back into the hobby through tooling up & producing items. Personally, I preferred PY's catalogue & service much better than Ames. Chris seemed to not carry a reproduction part if it was really horrible. If several quality levels were avail of the same part, PY's catalogues noted the difference, same as Ame's.

Something to keep in mind, many of the late '80's GM Service parts offered at the time were, & are today, incorrect for a serious restoration. GM parts bin battery trays, inside door handles, side terminal battery cables, '68-72 A-body door sill moldings (w/o small rivetted Fisher emblem), Service Replacement Qjets, SR Delco alternators & distributors, GM water pumps, Delco concealed wiper washer motor/pumps.... All are good examples of hundreds of GM "Service" parts (still avail through a GM dealer at the time) which helped fill out Y1's catalogues. I still have in a cabinet, a few such catalogues from 30-35 years ago. At the time, I used to make notations in the Y1 catalogues concerning what we easily recognized, & what I'd discovered was the glaring issue with many of these parts. As a result, I turned to different avenues.

Reproduction wise, there have sometimes been multiple different manufacturers of certain parts. Many other reproduction parts come from only one source. Many of us can remember the early repro '69-71 hoodtachs. Late 80's, an old friend ordered one '69 hoodtach & received two from Y1. Both were so crudely built, the bases were totally incorrect, & the seam between the outer case & the base was slathered with silastic sealer. My old friend figured either one of them were worth about half what he paid for one, so neither ever replaced his Judge's original hood tach. The junk was sold off at a swapper. '70-71 "Judge" rear spoilers... I bet there have been 5 different designs/manufactures since the late 80's. The first version were fiberglass & crude. Then, there was a better one. Then a light weight plastic formed one w/o the joint lines for the pedestals & w/o the weep holes. Even that one was introduced near 25 years ago. I cant even keep up on those. During that time, for my Judge projects I tracked down nice original rear spoilers, very glad I did.

Personally, am happy there is a wide selection of reproduction parts to choose from. Often times it forces me realize how much better a nice used piece is. Or it kicks me into high gear to track down a phenomenally nice correct used or NOS part. Last, if a part is a great reproduction, & you need it, buy it & put it up. Can think of a few very fine reproduction parts that are not available anymore & I only bought a few, or missed the boat.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 07-21-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1BA6684-151E-4231-AC78-A90B815AF07C.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	570203

Well…..here’s what Ames sent me for my 1967 GTO….the opening is too big….do they have a chrome knob with a smaller type (slit) opening to fit my factory original seats ? Thanks

Old 07-22-2021, 03:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=JSchmitz;6265933]Makes me think of the door mirrors that I bought from them. They look nice. Just move every time you close the door. :( Anyone solve this cleverly??

Little risky since you could break the mirror glass, but most mirrors have screws inside that can be tightened down on the ball to provide a tighter fit. Requires taking a pick and removing the thin (and somewhat fragile) ring around the glass circumference. Once the ring is removed the glass comes out and exposes the screws. Not sure if all side mirrors have the screws and possibly some might not be adjustable - but definitely worth the look if the mirror is constantly moving out of adjustment.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=lust4speed;6266325]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSchmitz View Post

Little risky since you could break the mirror glass, but most mirrors have screws inside that can be tightened down on the ball to provide a tighter fit. Requires taking a pick and removing the thin (and somewhat fragile) ring around the glass circumference. Once the ring is removed the glass comes out and exposes the screws. Not sure if all side mirrors have the screws and possibly some might not be adjustable - but definitely worth the look if the mirror is constantly moving out of adjustment.
Ok. I didn't know that. I'll take a look. My factory mirror had a through bolt to tighten the mirror down. I wanted to add a passenger side mirror and have them match. So I bought two new ones. They're not terrible. Just gets old constantly adjusting them. I thought about putting some clear silicone on the ball/socket but that's kinda sketchy and semi-permanent.

Old 07-22-2021, 05:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMES-TECH View Post
We've been producing our standard door mirrors for decades now, with great luck. Every now and then of course there can be a defect in the bunch. Original GM mirrors will even do this after years of wear and abuse. If this is something that you've purchased from us somewhat recently, please let us know! We'd love to assist you.
I bought these a long time ago. Like I stated above, It just gets old adjusting them constantly. Thanks for the offer of support though! If ya want to send me a couple of new ones, I'm all ears! :)

Old 07-22-2021, 07:15 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Attachment 570203

Well…..here’s what Ames sent me for my 1967 GTO….the opening is too big….do they have a chrome knob with a smaller type (slit) opening to fit my factory original seats ? Thanks
You can either use epoxy to fill the gap and hold the later style knob on to the early style lever, or go with our die-cast option (A135B) which uses a set screw.