WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 General Tech/Discussion

93-02 General Tech/Discussion 1993-2002 Firebird/Trans Am General Tech/Discussion

Old 06-18-2010, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 96 formula auto trans issues...

Hoping there is a good trans tech here somewhere... I bought this car with a bad trans, and sold it without ever fixing it. Guy that bought it installed a used trans, went out after 100 miles. He had a different trans rebuilt... that one lasted about the same. He was fed up and gave me the car back.

I bought a used trans out of a 96 Trans Am with 96k, installed it and now think I know why the other trans failed. It only has two gears and they seem to be 2nd and 3rd. if you pull the shifter into drive and go to take off it is leaving in 3rd, you can manually pull it back into second. The 2-3 shift will not occur automaticly, and when manually shifting up or down it is a very rough shift.

I think there is an electronic issue... not sure if the last guy even noticed it was taking off in third, probably led to the other two tranny's demise. Since the guy I originally bought it from got it from a salvage yard, who knows what has been changed or swapped on the thing... Any ideas?

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 06-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Might want to post this in the street section of the forum as this area is pretty dead as you can see alot of unanswered post. Cliff Ruggles and Jakeshoe are two that come to mind on this forum for trans knowledge or try CamaroZ28.com and LS1Tech .com as them forums deal speciffcully with these cars.

1969 GTO - 461, turbo 400, Continental 13", 3.08 gears. - 12.59 e.t. @ 108.43 mph, 1.898 60'

1978 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme- 461, turbo 350, PTC 3500 converter, 9" 3:50 gears. = 11.39 e.t. @ 117.55 mph, 1.599 60' on E85
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM
Senior Chief

Paul you PM is full, I can help you out with this. I will be out of town a couple days though, are you in a hurry to fix?
Larry
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Larry, going to empty the PM box... Trans has a 30 day warranty, 23 days left.

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paul,

Unplug the case connector from the trans and turn the key on. Find pin E (should be a red wire) @ the harness and see if you have battery voltage. If not, look for a blown fuse in any fuse box. It also could have a bad ignition switch. If the fuse is good, jump 12 volts to pin E with a fused jumper lead and see if the trans operates. If so, you probably have a bad ignition switch.

You are definitely describing an electrically related problem. When there is no power going to the trans, it takes off in 3rd in OD and D and takes off in 2nd in 2 and 1.

Am I correct in assuming that the owner installed the trans himself and not the rebuilder?
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Steve... and yes, prior owner installed the rebuilt trans. I'll check that out tomorrow.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kind of figured that the owner installed it.
If you have any questions, give me a call during the day on Monday @ 617-327-2122.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought this car for my older son back when 1600.00 for a 96 Formula was a screaming deal! Even with a bad trans, and since it came with a trans, seemed like a no-brainer. When more health issues came along I decided to trade it for work on my house. When the new owner couldn't get it going he dumped it back on me. Now my youngest son is determined to make it his daily driver... After he gets done at the shop tomorrow we'll pull it in and check it out. Thanks again for the help.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just make sure to scan it for codes 1st! Make sure to scan it vehicle specific and generic.

Call me if you have any questions.
Old 07-11-2010, 11:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Problem was with the 12 volt power supply. The connector was not making good connection with the trans. A few wires had been pushed out of thier connectors. Thanks for the help.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 07-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was wondering how you made out! I'm glad that it was an easy fix.

If the wires push back out, they do make a pigtail for the trans connector.