WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 General Tech/Discussion

93-02 General Tech/Discussion 1993-2002 Firebird/Trans Am General Tech/Discussion

Old 12-11-2012, 12:00 PM

Default Smokin' deal (?)

Had to post on here today to share some specifics of a car I just picked up. I don't think I did too bad...
1996 Pontiac Trans Am. LT-1/automatic, t-tops, tan leather interior, no rust (that I could see at all anyway), no damage, and is complete. The previous owner took the harmonic balancer off and intended to install a set of those underdrive pulleys (which I have in the box still…they are March Billet aluminum ones, too!), but got his girlfriend pregnant, and needed a running family car. Swapped it to his uncle for a 4 door Buick, and the uncle has had it sitting since. Not been tinkered with for about a year and a half, but is all there. Just needs buttoned up. Color is dark green metallic.
I’d been stalking this car for most of the year, and kept saying I was going to stop sometime and ask about it. Wife said I could (surprisingly), so I pulled down the long driveway leading to it. Wasn’t sure if I was going to be told “get outta here”, shot at, told NO or YES, but took the chance. Turns out, that uncle/owner was there, and confirmed it was for sale. Looked it over and asked the question “How much?”….answer: $500.
Bought it, title on the fridge door, and it is coming home likely tomorrow or Thursday. I have to swap a tire out on it, as one of them was flat and off the bead, so I have a tire/rim borrowed from a friend that I am going to swap on it and get it ready for the voyage home. Going get it looked at and running (if the motor or whatnot is toast, I’ll put it on CL), and then into the garage it goes. Needs a lot of cleanup, as the interior is rough/dirty, but still. I am NOT going to complain, haha.
Merry Christmas to me, eh?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Holy *****! Firegoat_Ben...who is that? Since you have a Pontiac again, we'll see you at the meetings.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Merry Christmas to you, that sounds like a deal to me. I like my fourth gen, I think they are great cars.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 12-11-2012, 03:40 PM

I was hoping I did good, haha! I am looking forward to this one.
Yeah 2manyPonchos, it looks like Hooten's green one, haha. Have no idea as to what all it needs so a basic assesment comes first, but as long as it passes as worthy, it will be part of the club!
We need to get windshield banners made!
Thanks so far, everyone!
Old 12-11-2012, 05:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like a great score. Congrats!
Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

at that price you could afford to put in an LS motor
Old 12-12-2012, 09:44 AM

Wife bought new interior for it for Christmas already, haha. Switching out everything inside from the nasty/toasted tan to ebony grey. What a good wifey!
Old 12-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Got the interior gutted with the exception of the console, which I am hoping to find a diagram on in order to remove it properly. I found the obvious 2 screws in the rear storage area, but I'm sure there are a few others that are hidden that I'll need to address. Anyone have any pointers on removing an automatic console?
Aside from that...the floors are super solid, which I am very excited about! There was a little dampness in the PS rear carpet and I feared for this area when pulling the old rug up, but it's as dry as a bone. Phew.
Had a great weekend working on this with my wife, who is as excited about the car as I am.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGoat_Ben View Post
Got the interior gutted with the exception of the console, which I am hoping to find a diagram on in order to remove it properly. I found the obvious 2 screws in the rear storage area, but I'm sure there are a few others that are hidden that I'll need to address. Anyone have any pointers on removing an automatic console?
Aside from that...the floors are super solid, which I am very excited about! There was a little dampness in the PS rear carpet and I feared for this area when pulling the old rug up, but it's as dry as a bone. Phew.
Had a great weekend working on this with my wife, who is as excited about the car as I am.
the bottom is the same as the manual trans console, if I remember correctly, there is one screw under the ashtray and one close to the shifter

68 Firebird 400, YC 400, Hbeam rods, ported 670 heads (2.11i, 1.77e valves), 1.65 RRs, Torker 2 intake, Nodular Crank, Eaton Limited Slip, Richmond 3.55 gears, M-20 M4
97 Trans Am WS6, LT1, M6, FLP LTs, Cutouts, Flowmaster catback, Jet Airfoil, K&N air filter, MSD Opti and Coil
14 Fiat 500e 83kW motor, 24kWh lithium ion battery, +2 sized summer tires
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Progress is happening! Replaced the tail lights with the 98+ newer style and discovered that out of 6 bulbs, only one came out without breaking off. Nice. Anyone have any tips about removing the metal bases inside the housings? Needlenose pliers and WD-40?