THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Photobucket

Now that Photobucket is requiring at $39.99 per month subscription for 3rd Party Hosting of images (using IMG links to post pics on forums) what are you guys using for your photo storage?

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=806831

3 pages here about PB.

I lost my pics today and substituted PB with this free hosting service: http://imgbb.com/
Seems to be working for me, I restored my signature pics with the link I provided.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-07-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=806831

3 pages here about PB.

I lost my pics today and substituted PB with this free hosting service: http://imgbb.com/
Seems to be working for me, I restored my signature pics with the link I provided.
That link for imgbb says 16MB limit. That doesn't seem like much.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
That link for imgbb says 16MB limit. That doesn't seem like much.
I had 116 pics on PB, enough for my stuff.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-08-2017, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

flickr.

flickr.

flickr.

Not sure what the objection to that is. LOTS of storage, good image quality, free, easy to use.

Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
flickr.

flickr.

flickr.

Not sure what the objection to that is. LOTS of storage, good image quality, free, easy to use.
I just finished moving all the pics I had stored online to Flickr. Photobucket is dead to me.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 07-09-2017, 11:32 AM

i'm using flickr too, but i don't think it will be long before all these sites are going to start charging for pic hosting. what it does to documented threads, like we have on this site, really sucks.

'86 951
'05 V70R
Old 07-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PB is like everyone else. They're trying to make money to stay solvent. If they can lure you in they'll take your money just like anyone else would. IIRC it a 2 GB limit for free usage. That's a lot of photos and whatever else you upload.

You only have to pay if you go over your limit. Delete stuff you don't want or need to make room and keep it free. I've had PB for close to 10 years and I have no problems with it. Even the ads don't bother me... I just close them out and keep doing what I want to do.

All the IMG links I use on the forums still work... until I delete the photo on PB. Other attachments I upload from my computer.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you delete your pics the forum you post on looses it also, I just installed a photo embedder on my forum, these stg places will come and go and change the rules as they please, I'm done with PB.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-12-2017, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I decided to go whole-hog and set up my own domain name and website, mostly for storing on-line pictures and stuff. A little over $100 for three years (that's $35 per year) to get complete control and 50 GB storage. I figure even if the hosting service gets out of line I can always move it to another host and keep the domain name and links working. If you are computer-savy and willing to pay a bit then its not a bad option.

I considered flickr and the other photo sites, but not convinced that they will not run into similar problems sometime in the future. I wouldn't mind paying a few bucks a month but even that doesn't mean a new service won't go belly-up eventually. And PB's $400 per year charge, they have to be kidding.

Luckily it hasn't affected too many of my posts here since I uploaded most of my pics to the site as an attachment instead of embedding from PB. But here is one embedded from my new site. Take that, Photobucket.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-13-2017, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
PB is like everyone else. They're trying to make money to stay solvent. If they can lure you in they'll take your money just like anyone else would. IIRC it a 2 GB limit for free usage. That's a lot of photos and whatever else you upload.

You only have to pay if you go over your limit. Delete stuff you don't want or need to make room and keep it free. I've had PB for close to 10 years and I have no problems with it. Even the ads don't bother me... I just close them out and keep doing what I want to do.

All the IMG links I use on the forums still work... until I delete the photo on PB. Other attachments I upload from my computer.
Gary, it's only free if you don't use it to post to 3rd party sites like this one. It's almost $500 a year (!) if you pay by the month. They'll give you a break if you pay by the year. 'Only' $399...
I'm in the process of moving all of my stored photos there to my hard drive then I'm done with them. Almost unusable with the popups now anyway.
Believe me, they just haven't gotten to your account yet. One day you'll open a post that you attached a photo to and you'll get the '100%-speedo' .

Last edited by Greg Reid; 07-13-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone see the photo I just posted? I can....but for the last few days it has not worked. I don't know what they are up to now!

Old 07-13-2017, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I'm in the process of moving all of my stored photos there to my hard drive then I'm done with them.
I am leaving all of my photos in there. I figure they can take up some of PB's storage indefinitely even if I never access their site again. Just a little payback...

Greg all I can see is the "100%-speedo"

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 07-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Walt, I love that red LeMans.
That is so weird. I can see the photo I just posted but I just searched one of my old threads that had a lot of pics and they are all gone. This one I can see....for now.

Old 07-13-2017, 01:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It seems like it takes a while for it to Catch up with your account. I just don't do pics on sites other than mine, lol. Makes it easy now to sell parts, take it or leave it. Lol

Just Say No To 8” Flakes pause pause

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-13-2017, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I might be confused .... but why are posters on this forum using a photo-drop when they can upload directly to this site? For forums that don't host their own photos I've had a domain for about 30 years now.

Old 07-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For me,
1. I like to imbed the fullsize photo right into the post rather than have the thumbnail deal. 2. You are very limited on the file size of the photo when you attach it to the post
3. Every photo you attach to the post must be stored somewhere on your hard drive but with a 3rd party, you can pull it directly from there and never need it stored taking up hard drive space.
I probably have between 600~700 pics on photobucket to draw from. If I store all of those on my computer, it wouldn't be a big problem, per-se, but I'd have to resize most any of them before attaching here. That's a PIA. PB did that automatically.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Points 1 and 2 of what Greg said. I don't like the way this site displays attached photos, would much rather just have a good sized photo embedded right into the post.

Plus, I can share entire albums/collections of photos by simply posting a link rather than having to upload each picture individually to each site (yes, I do visit other sites) that I might want to share it to.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Photobucket says "Photobucket is the global destination for linking and 3rd party hosting. In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images stored, 2 million daily uploads and 10 billion photos accessed monthly."

At a dollar a user, its 100 million dollars. Nope, lets price it high enough that NOBODY wants to use it. Morons.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 07-14-2017, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My links are still working - I've been waiting for them to stop, but I guess they will continue to work for a while;

Quote:
If you were a Plus Account subscriber in good standing as of June 1, 2017, you will continue to have all the privileges you have enjoyed including 3rd Party Hosting until December 31, 2018 as long as you maintain your subscription.

1974 Trans Am, 400 4-speed, 3.42 rear.