Old 06-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hood closed, can't open

I can open it the first part but no matter what I do I cannot get the second release to open. Any ideas?

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
'64 Lemans Convertible, Tremec TKO600
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Curt;

Is the back of the hood sticking up, or can the hood be moved sideways pushing from the backside near the windshield sideways from pass side to drivers side?

Ive got them to open by pushing sideways gently or pushing down on the raised up rear hood section.

Have to push a little and try and pop hood again. Re align the hood basically.
Miss aligned will keep it from opening the rest of the way.

If that doesnt work, or hood isnt loose: I have used a long HD screwdriver to pry the release tounge back while (a friend is better) pulling on the release handle. Since it will come up part way, can you see where it needs to be to release?

Does the release handle feel like its sticking? Might work it back and forth, spray WD40 up inside of hood catch area too.

Good luck!

Jeff

PS: This made me think of one other way I used to see a guy I know use at a LARGE NC three generation junk yard....a forklift or front loader with forks! It was the big version with 4x4. No telling how many decent hoods hes ruined in his lifetime.

Old 06-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff,
It really doesn't feel like it's sticking. It has a new latch, it just won't release. I'll try pushing on the rear...we were able to loosen 2 of the three bolts holding the latch....the third is being difficult.

Tried moving the front of the hood from side to side while I pulled on the handle, no luck there. I'll try messing with the back of the hood.

Man this is frustrating....I dented the endura and caused some small scratches on the new paint job

'69 GTO Ragtop, 455, RA, KRE SD Perf ported heads and "old Faithful" cam, Sean Murphy Q-Jet, Tremec 5spd, Moser Trutrac 3:73, Hotchkiss, Speedtech, Wilwood
Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey Curt, when my car arrived here, we couldn't get the hood open either.
What I have to do ,is keep pulling the handle down hard and towards myself, if it doesn't work I close hood fully and try again, it always works within a few go's.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had this problem after I put a GTO hood on my lemans. No matter what I did I could not get it to pop past the second catch on the latch. I eventually got at it from under the latch. Removed the front valance and was able to loosen the latch and get it open. It was a pain the a$$. Once it was off I used a dremmel and ground a slight bit on the latch and opening in the hood to smooth it some. Then lots of lube. Haven't had a problem since. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hopefully I am understanding this correctly. When you pull the release lever, the hood pops up slightly? If so, simply push down slightly, do not latch, while pushing down on the hood pull the release lever again. Pull up on the hood and open completely.

patrick

Old 06-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Going to mess with again Monday morning...

Old 06-20-2010, 07:22 PM

My hood's like that. 69 convertible. One bad hinge spring. To open I pull the hood latch and hold it out, push hood down a little with my chin while pulling hood to the right with my left hand. Works every time. I know it sounds stupid!

Old 06-20-2010, 08:33 PM

I have trouble with mine. I guy explained it to me as a two part process. Pull the bottom lever forward and when it releases pull it down. It pops the top latch which looks like a spring. It takes me a couple of times to get it open but I always do using the two pull method.

2004 GTO
Old 06-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mine did this once push it closed and pop it again it will release and again etc

Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What 65wj said...2 part process...Pop first, then keep pulling on latch and push down hood ever so slightly on front again and it should disengage...

Old 06-21-2010, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

more complicated than all that guys.....it's always been a little tricky but not like this. We removed the lover valence, got at all 3 mounting bolts and finally got it to open. About 6 hours into this....crazy!

Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So did u find out why it jammed like that?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The latch mechanism has two catches, the second being a safety in case the hood opens while you are driving. It's usually that second catch that hangs up on the hood. Try the dremmel method to smooth the sharp edges down on the catch and opening in the underside of the hood. Doesn't take much. Then clean and grease everything, including some grease where the spring that pops the hood up in the front rubs on the hood. Don't re-install your valance until you know it works. I learned that the hard way!!