Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-03-2020, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Horn contact kit for Pontiac Deluxe Steering Wheel

Hi,

Any chance of Ames reproducing a three button contact kit for a Pontiac Deluxe Wheel (e.g. common on 69-75?) Pontiacs? It seems the brass contacts become corroded and temperamental after 50 years.

Thanks

Old 06-22-2020, 08:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

is the horn contact different from a 65 wheel to a 66 i just received one and its to short

Old 06-22-2020, 10:40 PM
Administrator

last I checked, neither the 1965 or 1966 deluxe wheel contact is available. I believe you will need to find a used one. The sport wheel switch is very similar but does not work and I don't believe it was used on any other cars.

Old 06-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Hi,

Any chance of Ames reproducing a three button contact kit for a Pontiac Deluxe Wheel (e.g. common on 69-75?) Pontiacs? It seems the brass contacts become corroded and temperamental after 50 years.

Thanks
At this point there is no talk of reproducing the contact kit. Keep posted though as we are always researching new products.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Hi,

Thanks
We made the sport wheel contact. That one fits like 16 years of very popular wheels. The one you want only fits one or two years. Plus so many owners switch to the wood wheel or aftermarket wheels. At this stage of the industry, it would likely never break even financially.

Quick math. $5000 for tooling. $10 per switch min quantity 1000 = $15000 investment.

sell for $30 retail. Wholesale to dealers for $18.

Break even point 833 switches. That is not going to happen in our lifetime for that switch. Sorry. :(

Old 06-24-2020, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default damm

math always wins