Old 05-01-2021, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Interesting Electrical day.

Found myself a universal hazard switch for my 64 Lemans, been sitting around for more than a few year. So during these weird times, I figured I would put it in. Also replace turn signal switch with a new on. Not wanting to cut up the wires I made up a plug in harness using old turn signal connector and another dash harness plug.
Flashers work good, until you step on the brake pedal with the flashers on. The starter engages, WTF.
Turn flasher off and no problem. tried numerous different times and same thing, tried different signal lever position, same thing. unplug power going to flasher and starter work normal. pull out flasher with power still unplugged and normal operation of starter. This does have a really that operates the starter, so suspect I have feedback somewhere with poor ground. Might just have to scrap the hazard switch. LOL. Something really weird going on. All signals work properly. Loosing hair on this one, LOL.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow - that is a weird one.

Old 05-01-2021, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL, YUP. Gonna try a few different things tomorrow to try and isolate issue, not sure if relay that i have for starter is
getting powered up or getting bad ground feedback.

Old 05-02-2021, 05:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Where is the power for the flasher coming from?

I'd check the neutral safety switch wiring, and see if it has power before the switch? Maybe applying the brakes is making the neutral switch connection?
(or brake light switch connector is swapped with the neutral switch)

Disconnect the neutral switch connector and see if it still does it?

I'd say it's under the dash somewhere.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-02-2021, 08:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

JohnTa might be on to something. The reverse light and starter switch pigtails are BOTH right next to all the wiring for the turns at the base of the column. You have one crossed up somewhere.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
JohnTa might be on to something. The reverse light and starter switch pigtails are BOTH right next to all the wiring for the turns at the base of the column. You have one crossed up somewhere.
Check the purple wires

Old 05-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's a 4spd car, has jumper pin on neutral safety connector, assuming that it is factory jumper.
The flasher unit gets power from the fuse box, moved the power wire to another terminal and same thing.
did not touch brake switch wire during this. So brake light still work properly. Will pull neutral safety jumper today to see
if that makes any difference. Thinking the power from flasher is feeding into brake light switch and when stepping on
pedal, the switch sends power back into the harness. But not sure why its getting to the purple start wire.
This car had no crank issues a few years back so I put in a relay on the purple wire at the horn really junction block.
Purple start wire signals the relay. Have not had a problem till I put in this hazard flasher.

Old 05-02-2021, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Removed the neutral safety jumper wire and it does not do this anymore, so power is feeding back thru brake lamp switch
into ignition switch and must be somehow connected to start terminal when ignition is in of pos. weird. spare ignition does not show any connection between the 2.
Out of car though. So somehow getting power to purple start wire. Interesting. If ignition is in on position it works ok. does not crank when stepping on brake pedal.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

had a diode for my msd box so installed that in the correct direction to stop feedback from the hazard flasher,
all good. now. so just for further buyers or installers of old stuff, be careful. installed on the feed wire for brake lamps
going into the turn signal switch. so no feedback can come the other way and power up the brake light switch backwards.

Rick

Old 05-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Might check the grounds under the dash. (and all grounds)
There has been cases of the brake pedal/brackets providing a ground because the dash used it instead of going through it's ground.
(least resistance)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-02-2021, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

was definitely a power problem feeding back into switch. But beyond the switch was my concern of it running the starter.
But all good now. Thanks for any and all comments. oh ya it has multiple grounds on the dash. did this about 12 years ago when I had it in pieces.

Rick