Old 05-04-2021, 07:10 PM

Question 1963 Catalina Safari: Largest Wheel Size?

Hello! just purchased our first Big Pontiac! I was thinking of putting on some Torq Thrusts II (VN515) 16". I'm currently in the process of converting to 4-Wheel disc brakes from the Master Power brakes. Curious if anyone else has done this for either front or rear or both! I was wondering what is the widest tire I can fit on there so I can have an idea of what to go with, as I don't want a 205 or 215. Not really looking for a super-thin sidewall either. not sure if this has already been discussed but I cannot find any info on wheel size for a 63' Safari. If you have any wheel and or tire recommendations please let me know! Any help, pics (or anything really) is appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-05-2021, 09:55 AM

I'm running 17"x8", 0" offset, 4.5" backspace steelies with 245/50-17 tires. Front springs have about 1.5 coils cut out of them. Very slight rub on the back of the front fenderwells at full lock, no rubbing anywhere else. Size-wise, I think the front is maxed out, but you might be able to go an inch wider in the back with some very careful backspace measuring, but you might then get some rubbing as the rear axle articulates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210206_140601.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	565951  

Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM

Thanks For the info! Nice Safari as well. Any advice on cutting springs?

Old 05-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are small bearings - we recommend no larger than 17"

Old 05-06-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shah2k View Post
Thanks For the info! Nice Safari as well. Any advice on cutting springs?
Thanks! Forgot to mention, it has a four wheel Scarebird disc conversion on it.

As far as cutting the coils is concerned, I cut about 1/4 of a coil at a time, reassemble and drive it a little bit, until I get the height I want - for this car, I was really just trying to get the front slightly lower than the rear.