67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-03-2021, 05:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default longer throttle cable for 69 firebird and 2.5 split tips?

need something a few inches longer than stock to accommodate a pontiac rpm in my 69. any suggestions as to a direct mounting cable from a big car or later firebird that may meet the install mounting point?

Also i am looking for a pair of split 2.5 exhaust tips similar to mid 70s TA. has anyone tried to install these on a first gen? I like the way they tuck into the rear quarter
thanks

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 05-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used a Locar throttle cable system. Wasn't sure if you wanted aftermarket or OEM? I'm running a Performer intake and it works well with that.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1968-74 Xbody has the later square mount end (instead of morse) that would work well with the later and aftermarket throttle brackets. You will need to do a little work to make the pedal end fit the original pedal arm or just buy the kit that has the Nova gas pedal. But it goes through the firewall like stock and is 19" long. Ball stud end at the carb. $125 or so dollars for that whole kit or just under $70 for the lokar pedal and cable.

I have had the common 2nd gen splitters on my 68. Didn't really fit without rattling on the leaf or quarter unless you are willing to cut some sheetmetal lip of massage the lip. If you are okay doing one, the other or both it can be done fine.

Old 05-16-2021, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ended up using the lokar set up it was easy and doesn't look quite as out of place i had thought. I did put the pypes 2.5 splitters on also. I have plenty of room near the leaf spring for them to come down. I like the way they look.. I did trim some off of the pipe where it goes into the cross flow muffler. That may be the difference. I am going to try and tweak their ''height '' next time i am under there. I want just the tips exposed by the lower quarter, currently i have about 1'' of the 2.'' section revealed. i may need to tweak the pipes to get them to ride a bit higher.

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 05-16-2021, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
ended up using the lokar set up it was easy and doesn't look quite as out of place i had thought. I did put the pypes 2.5 splitters on also. I have plenty of room near the leaf spring for them to come down. I like the way they look.. I did trim some off of the pipe where it goes into the cross flow muffler. That may be the difference. I am going to try and tweak their ''height '' next time i am under there. I want just the tips exposed by the lower quarter, currently i have about 1'' of the 2.'' section revealed. i may need to tweak the pipes to get them to ride a bit higher.
agreed on all points! I am also surprised the cable didn't stand out too bad.

I have my tips tucked to just the ends showing as you described, it's the cleanest.