#41  
Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
Scott65's Avatar
Scott65 Scott65 is online now
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,373
Default

Maybe find a sheet of rubber and temporarily afix it between the sensor and the pump? I have no idea what it would actually take. I've read if you have a hand held AM radio, you can use it to detect interference. Might be worth a try...

__________________
'65 Tempest 467 3650# 11.30@120.31
  #42  
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
adynes's Avatar
adynes adynes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 126
Default

I would just relocate it, even if only temporary. Low pressure fuel lines are cheap and easy enough to rerun, as well as extending the wiring.

Another thing to consider... How closely connected are the 12v/grounds for the pump, and for the crank sensor? Ideally, very far separated from each other. If not, maybe some sort of filtering can be added.

On my setup, I have the battery in the trunk, supplying power directly (through relays) to the in-tank fuel pumps. The computer (MS1-Extra, under-dash) gets it's power through a long length of it's own dedicated wire, and grounds to a cylinder head


Last edited by adynes; Yesterday at 07:54 PM.
  #43  
Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM
Scott65's Avatar
Scott65 Scott65 is online now
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adynes View Post
I would just relocate it, even if only temporary. Low pressure fuel lines are cheap and easy enough to rerun, as well as extending the wiring.

Another thing to consider... How closely connected are the 12v/grounds for the pump, and for the crank sensor? Ideally, very far separated from each other. If not, maybe some sort of filtering can be added.

On my setup, I have the battery in the trunk, supplying power directly (through relays) to the in-tank fuel pumps. The computer (MS1-Extra, under-dash) gets it's power through a long length of it's own dedicated wire, and grounds to a cylinder head
DITTO THIS... Mine is the same(and trunk mounted as well). Dedicated power for the ecu and engine position sensors. Battery is grounded to the head(00 welding cable), and the ecu grounds there, as well as a ground bus so anything sensitive can go to the head as well.
It may seem overkill, but its not. It's the difference in having major headaches, and not...

__________________
'65 Tempest 467 3650# 11.30@120.31
  #44  
Old Today, 03:00 AM
krisr's Avatar
krisr krisr is offline
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Sydney, OZ
Posts: 1,343
Default

Asking because I just had a read through the thread but can't see an MSQ file. Can you share it? I've run into a similar problem in the past where I was on the wrong "Input" edge. Once I changed it and reset the timing offset, the car was fine after that. Even though a hall effect sensor is +12V (or +5v), signal & ground, you still need to get on the right edge. The coil output edge is pretty simple as if you're on the wrong edge, you'll need 8 new coils LOL.

Also can you share a logfile of what the car is doing.

__________________
'71 Holden HQ Monaro - 3850lbs race weight, 400c/i - 11.4 @ 119
  #45  
Old Today, 06:25 AM
Scott65's Avatar
Scott65 Scott65 is online now
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,373
Default

Kris there's a thread at MSEXTRA running with a log and msq here:
https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewt...?f=131&t=75049
He told me hes tried both edges, but I'm not sure if he has since shielding the signal wire. The symptoms do sound like what you mention. In the log it runs good til 51xx rpm then loses synch. At a little faster rpmdot it loses it 7 times quickly on the way up.
ETA: Kris, the Holley sensor he's using is mentioned by part number in that MS thread. Do you have any experience with it? Is its built in pull up compatible as is?

__________________
'65 Tempest 467 3650# 11.30@120.31

Last edited by Scott65; Today at 06:36 AM.
  #46  
Old Today, 06:35 AM
FMile Pontiacs's Avatar
FMile Pontiacs FMile Pontiacs is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott65 View Post
Kris there's a thread at MSEXTRA running with a log and msq here:
https://www.msextra.com/forums/viewt...?f=131&t=75049
He told me hes tried both edges, but I'm not sure if he has since shielding the signal wire. The symptoms do sound like what you mention. In the log it runs good til 51xx rpm then loses synch. At a little faster rpmdot it loses it 7 times quickly on the way up.
Thanks for posting that link Scott. Please take a look Kriser and see what you think. I appreciate all feedback. I plan to work with it some tonight.

  #47  
Old Today, 07:47 AM
Scott65's Avatar
Scott65 Scott65 is online now
Ultimate Warrior
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 1,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMile Pontiacs View Post
Thanks for posting that link Scott. Please take a look Kriser and see what you think. I appreciate all feedback. I plan to work with it some tonight.
No problem! Kris is very knowledgeable, and is generous with it. He was very helpful to me when I was in the early stages, and its appreciated.

__________________
'65 Tempest 467 3650# 11.30@120.31
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.

 

About Us

The PY Online Forums is the largest online gathering of Pontiac enthusiasts anywhere in the world. Founded in 1991, it was also the first online forum for people to gather and talk about their Pontiacs. Since then, it has become the mecca of Pontiac technical data and knowledge that no other place can surpass.

 

Cold Case Radiators

Cold Case Radiators is a Max Performance company that produces high end aluminum performance radiators at a price point that won't break the bank. Polished and stamped tanks. 2 rows of 1" tubes. Lifetime Warranty.

GTOG8TA.com

GTOG8TA.com is a Max Performance company that manufacturers parts for the 04-06 GTO, 08-09 G8, and 93-02 Firebird/Trans Am platforms.

Copyright © 2017