Old 12-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntedCatalina View Post
66Bonne! Thank you! I hope to rip tires off soon! lol!

Heres the update on how the starter was mounted. im still trying to contemplate it all just to get it running and to figure it out along the way. I really want to enjoy it for my mild drives to work. about 2 miles one way.
Some people shouldn't be sold welders. Get the adapter and do it right!

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-12-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Some people shouldn't be sold welders. Get the adapter and do it right!
Yeah, Right there with you. either way its going to be done correctly in the end.

with the adapters would I need a new starter as well? when i went on summit there were a ton of adapters. is there anyone that can help me locate the correct one?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:10 PM

https://www.summitracing.com/int/par...5237/overview/

this cant be it? 513 dollars for an adapter?

Old 12-12-2016, 04:56 PM

Check with Bendsten and Wilcap. I think they have full adapter kits that include the mini starter.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:23 PM

just checked! yep 700 bucks all around. thats nearly a replacement motor.

Old 12-12-2016, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think all you will need is the adapter by itself.Tom

Old 12-13-2016, 11:57 AM

Thanks Tom. Ive reached out to Bendsten and theyre sorting some stuff out for me via email since I work in an office all day. As there may be a better cost efficient way to go about it. But to be honest; If this is how it plays out. its better to replace the motor earlier than expected. Or get a different 4spd transmission. Why pay for an adapter when these parts aren't really the hottest out right?

Old 12-13-2016, 01:22 PM

Update, Bendtsen offered up the adapter for 500 bucks; but is it worth it? I have no real attachment to the 389 and this may as well be an opportunity to put it into a bigger motor. instead of putting money in for a basic 389

Old 12-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its up to you!If you want to drive it while your getting another engine together you will need it.Will be ugly if your driving down the road and the starter falls off and shorts out against the frame.Tom

Old 12-13-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Its up to you!If you want to drive it while your getting another engine together you will need it.Will be ugly if your driving down the road and the starter falls off and shorts out against the frame.Tom
Thats the only thing holding me up! I want to drive it so bad! its a shame that this was my first venture into muscle cars and didnt even get a trip out of it yet. being in NY basically hinders winter driving anyway which is why i'm even contemplating a motor change.

i found a complete 400 motor from a 1970 firebird that needs a rebuild for cheap. sent an email for engine number now, waiting for a reply. i believe the later model Cats had a 400. should this bolt up to a Th400 BOP trans without issue? maybe even use the same starter?

If these adapters werent the price of two hands, i would go for it. I love having the 389 and it being original for the car, matching everything; but, whats reliable out of a 389? 400hp?

Last edited by GruntedCatalina; 12-13-2016 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

all 64 and later made blocks had the block mounted starters and can use a BOP T400.A true 400 engine HP 389-400 wont be a lot of fun on the street IMO.Tom

Old 12-13-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
all 64 and later made blocks had the block mounted starters and can use a BOP T400.A true 400 engine HP 389-400 wont be a lot of fun on the street IMO.Tom
Tom, you've been helping me out alot, your insight is definitely well appreciated. If you had to pick on this build; what would you suggest?

Old 12-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

Mate, don't stress about not driving it. I know the pain all too well. I spent 18months restoring a '62 Bonneville hardtop down here in Australia (have to import every single part), doing it all myself in my home garage. THen the garage burned down in a fire, lost the car, lost all my tools, lost everything.

I bought a '64 Bonneville coupe to replace it, waited 3months to import it from Los Angeles. Drove it ONCE about 15miles before the Super-Hydramatic blew up. That was back in June 2015 and I still haven't driven it as I've now done motor rebuild, TH400 swap, started cutting rust out...

Hang in there, it will be worth it once it's done.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your set on 400 engine HP you should look for a 455.Way easy to make 450 street friendly HP.Tom

Old 12-13-2016, 07:30 PM

Thanks Marv, I definitely get it; for my Subaru it took a long time to find one off parts from japan, and proper Spec parts for it. took a hell of a time. probably why im so anxious now!

Tom, Yeah, either I make Muscle or i'm not doing this! I just hate the fact that it seems like a walk around for everything. I have found a few donor 455s, a few still in vehicle and running. a couple 100 miles away, gonna start making some calls. Ill rebuild it ASAP and itll bolt up to a TH400 no problem. most likely will need new mounts as well.

Does anyone know of the differences between the 455s? pontiac and olds specifically? i know throughout the years they switched to 2 bolt mains instead of 4. is a pontiac version stronger or easier swap? or anything like that?

Old 12-13-2016, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac is what belongs!Forget anything else

Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 PM

lol! i will look long and hard!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agree, stick with a Pontiac engine for the car. I also agree that spending money on an adapter may not be the best choice.

We sometimes see builds that never get completed and engines go up for sale. like this one http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=794344 Not saying this is what you should purchase or not, just that they do come up for sale. That being said, a new fresh build is going to cost at least that amount. The other option is to find a good used running engine and swap it for the time being. I see some fairly low mileage full size cars with 455's that run for sale in the $1000 range. Figure timing set, plugs, wires, carb rebuild maybe a valve job and run it till you build the funds for a HOT engine.

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-13-2016, 09:50 PM

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/
I emailed them on 02-17-2016 with the top picture

this was the reply
"What is pictured is what comes in the kit. The plate, bolts, dowel pins, pilot-to-crank extension, and I've started sending the flexplate also.
The price is $385.00.
Bob Bendtsen"

i did buy this adapter for my 2004r swap this winter
if i was still working in a machine shop i would have made it
i added up material water jetting and machining and running around time
figured it was cheaper to buy

when I was thinking of making one
drew it in cad and cut it in vinyl
you can see the arrow the hole is off
see how it is inline with dowel hole
it should be to the right of dowell
than I realized they dimentioned every other hole off the other dowel
excpt that 1 hole
easy mistake to make in cad when 2 lines are that close

bigger pic of adapter in link
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a4ba84520261578

Thank You

Last edited by cruzingratiot; 12-13-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Words to drive by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
Agree, stick with a Pontiac engine for the car.
AYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63gpman View Post
The other option is to find a good used running engine and swap it for the time being. I see some fairly low mileage full size cars with 455's that run for sale in the $1000 range. Figure timing set, plugs, wires, carb rebuild maybe a valve job and run it till you build the funds for a HOT engine.
YEP!