Old 12-14-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzingratiot View Post
http://www.transmissionadapters.com/
I emailed them on 02-17-2016 with the top picture

this was the reply
"What is pictured is what comes in the kit. The plate, bolts, dowel pins, pilot-to-crank extension, and I've started sending the flexplate also.
The price is $385.00.
Bob Bendtsen"

i did buy this adapter for my 2004r swap this winter
if i was still working in a machine shop i would have made it
i added up material water jetting and machining and running around time
figured it was cheaper to buy

when I was thinking of making one
drew it in cad and cut it in vinyl
you can see the arrow the hole is off
see how it is inline with dowel hole
it should be to the right of dowell
than I realized they dimentioned every other hole off the other dowel
excpt that 1 hole
easy mistake to make in cad when 2 lines are that close

bigger pic of adapter in link
http://www.imagebam.com/image/a4ba84520261578
This is amazing! I wish I had a machine shop that could build me up one! but none the less. getting a 455 is a definite scenario in my head...or a caddi 500! lol.

are there any major differences between a pontiac 455 and a olds 455? I seem to find very good priced, running and working condition in the vehicle olds motors.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you will not likely get advice on how to put an olds motor into your Pontiac on this forum lol

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 12-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

other than a pontiac no one will talk to you!Tom

Old 12-14-2016, 02:39 PM

lol! Dang! well I need knowledge and if you guys are withholding it then PONCHO 100%!!!!

Old 12-14-2016, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are trying to get things done low cost just to get going right now, I would post a wanted listing on Craigslist and in the parts wanted section on this forum. Most engines can be shipped for about $300 using Fastenal and a few other vendors. I would not worry about it being a 389, 400, 421, 428 or a 455 for now but would make sure that it is a 65 and up known running engine. You should be able to trust most people on this board but would try to get compression test done on each cylinder. To offset that cost, get a video of your current engine running, get your compression numbers and post it for sale in the same locations. Otherwise, plan on spending some coin on a rebuilt engine or finding a good core and rebuilding one to your specs. Just my thoughts.

Love the car! Keep it Pontiac!

Old 12-14-2016, 04:41 PM

Im right there with you. 300 bucks shipping is a banger but it is all Cast. im going to start looking into the classifieds now for them but, pardon my inexperience but, how could I boost the motor without the starter? its an automatic. at least for a video of proof.

I actually had a long talk with a 60 year old junkyard owner that apparently was a Pontiac tech back in the day. gave me a long talk about the cars and how I would make a costly mistake going any other way than pontiac. owns 6 GTO's and has a 600 pontiac car junkyard. (once I go up there, i will share the news if its a hot spot for the North East!)

Does anyone know an average price for a unrestored 455 range?

Old 12-14-2016, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntedCatalina View Post
Im right there with you. 300 bucks shipping is a banger but it is all Cast. im going to start looking into the classifieds now for them but, pardon my inexperience but, how could I boost the motor without the starter? its an automatic. at least for a video of proof.

I actually had a long talk with a 60 year old junkyard owner that apparently was a Pontiac tech back in the day. gave me a long talk about the cars and how I would make a costly mistake going any other way than pontiac. owns 6 GTO's and has a 600 pontiac car junkyard. (once I go up there, i will share the news if its a hot spot for the North East!)

Does anyone know an average price for a unrestored 455 range?
I've seen 455s for as little as $250 and as much as $1200.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-15-2016, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My $0.02: you're better off paying more for an engine you can witness in operation than a cheaper one that 'ran when pulled'.

Old 12-15-2016, 11:14 AM

I bought mine from Butler for $298.95. I think it was a Bendtsen. They are listed on their website under Transmission Components. BTC-P010004

Old 12-15-2016, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The more I think about it, the adapter may be the best way to get you going up front. I always thought they were around $500. This would buy you some time to figure out what engine you WANT to put under the hood. I would guess that if you ended up putting a newer engine in it later you could likely sell the adapter.

http://butlerperformance.com/i-24452...c-p010004.html

Anyway, good luck and get her on the road!

Old 12-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Wow that's a much better deal then the 485 I was quoted lol. I may mull that over! As of right now though. I'm pretty much set on a Pontiac 455 because I reall want the most amount of cubes. Mpg and economy is not what I'm really caring for lol. It's a solid 2o degrees here so even working on the car is placed on the back burner. Winter is ahead of me

I'm gonna give it a week or so to really think about it because, I like that it's the original 389 from factory but, I want juice! Lol

Old 12-28-2016, 01:08 PM

Still patiently looking and, the more I look; the more I want to drive. The more I want to drive the more this adapter and getting the body in awesome shape is calling me.

just looking at possibilities, I could, POR15 the floor pans(mint), the trunk(mint) and get the minor body work needed to get it to be a real decent driver. Full interior I could probably pull for a grand. that way I can drive in style and, still rock the 389 with cam and edelbrock and flowmasters and HEI.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2X on the above.

One other thing: Before you get too far, be sure to check to see if the timing chain (now pushing 40 years old in the newest 455) is sloppy or if it is shedding plastic bits to the sump.

Easy change when engine is out of the car - relative to doing it IN the car.

As long as you have good compression and good oil pressure, a good runner is a great choice to get an old lump moving again.

Old 12-31-2016, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

if original its not a plastic cover chain.Tom

Old 01-06-2017, 04:20 PM

Thanks for the input! I am still awaiting the right 455 to come my way. Trying to make sure I make the right choice for myself. As for the swap I really cant find much as to instructions per se. Im assuming the exhaust and mounts will be different but, will the HEI work for the car and, what else would need to be done?

Old 01-13-2017, 11:43 AM

Just day dreamin'

Old 01-13-2017, 01:33 PM

exhaust and mounts are same on 455 you will have to use p/s pump, alternator and brackets from 455 just easier. Hei ignition clears firewall.

Old 01-13-2017, 05:43 PM

same as a pre 65 389? I wouldnt have guessed the mounts would be the same, two point mounts. I just ordered the guide to building max performance pontiac motors book as well for my own leisure reading

Old 01-20-2017, 02:31 PM

finally got my Pontiac performance book in the mail. so far only got to read about 30 pages or so but, its definitely an awesome read so far.

Old 01-31-2017, 04:33 PM

finally got the book! was looking through it and the variations of 455. found a good man with a good set of heads and block of a 455 with N shaft in there. So looks like the list of items I need to get it going is PS pump, alternator and timing pulley kit.

I wish this book had interchangeability info. like can i use the 389 pulleys for fan and alternator? is the intake manifold the same? I want to refresh the heads and block, put everything in then start souping up after feeling stock.