Old 01-20-2021, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default block heater or hose heater

looking to install a heater of some sort, hate cranking over when its so cold outside for a sunny winter cruise looking into

lower rad heater hose from zero-start

freeze plug one (don't know size) i'd like to put it in the front pass side

drop in screw one in the intake (what size thread needed) will it be enough

Old 01-21-2021, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any of them should work. For extreme temps I prefer the type that recirculates the water - it goes in line with a heater hose, like this one: https://www.zoro.com/kats-circulatin...1/#description However, assuming you aren't talking about using the car in subzero temps, I'd probably go with a freeze plug type. The type that goes in the lower radiator hose is okay too, and is probably easier to install.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Or, you could but a heat magnet type. Stick it on the block or suitable area and pull it when driving. Some people stick it to the oil pan.

Old 01-21-2021, 06:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've heard bad things about the magnet ones

Old 01-23-2021, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

whats the diameter of the lower hose

Old 01-25-2021, 03:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

What’s bad about the magnetic ones? Used one in college on an old Honda - saved my @ss a few times when -20! Just curious.

I wouldn’t necessarily recommend them but less intrusive and decent “once in a while solution”. And certainly better than nothing (or draining your oil and bringing it inside for the night).

I have an NOS GM SBC freeze plug block heater I picked up at a local swap meet for $5 a couple years back and plan to put in my old 72 GMC 3/4 ton when I build up a 350 for it.

Old 01-25-2021, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i heard they melt apart, but i guess your right as limited use needed just wanted to warm it up a bit for a cold sunny winter cruise, and i do remember long time we were upstate ny back in HS with my fresh built 400 and it wouldn't start and we were contemplating doing that, i don't remember if we did or not after that my friends dad said never back the car up the driveway as the wind blows that way