Old 03-24-2021, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Leaking Frost Plugs

Hey Everybody,

I have steel frost plugs in a stock block leaking and they all leaked from the machine shop. LONG time ago I sealed them Externally with JB weld and now starting to leak again.

Embarrassing question:
Which is better to use - JB Weld or the Right Stuff - Externally?

Thanks Again, Craig

Old 03-24-2021, 06:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Neither. You cant "reseal" them externally and expect it to last

Change them out.Use the correct tool to install and use some Green locktite on the perimeter of each hole /plug

The locktite is an anaerobic sealer and will harden once installed. It will seal the plugs imperfections and also hold it in place so extreme pressure wont blow it out.

Also , they are not "frost " plugs.
Technically they are "welch" plugs....

Old 03-24-2021, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Neither. You cant "reseal" them externally and expect it to last

Change them out.Use the correct tool to install and use some Green locktite on the perimeter of each hole /plug

The locktite is an anaerobic sealer and will harden once installed. It will seal the plugs imperfections and also hold it in place so extreme pressure wont blow it out.

Also , they are not "frost " plugs.
Technically they are "welch" plugs....
They are called "freeze plugs." Welch plugs are the flat style found in the older 1930's - 1940's blocks having a non-pressurized coolant system.

I thought you knew better than that. LOL

Old 03-25-2021, 06:50 AM

Core plugs ;-)

Old 03-26-2021, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
They are called "freeze plugs." Welch plugs are the flat style found in the older 1930's - 1940's blocks having a non-pressurized coolant system.

I thought you knew better than that. LOL
Sorry dude .you be wrong LOL

Welch plugs are named for the hole that is left in the casting or the "welch" of casting where the sand core is supported to cast said engine block. Then they bore the hole to a specific size and fit it with a plug.It fills the "welch" in the casting.
They also are used to block the end of a intersecting passage, say like in a carburetor where fuel passes from one channel to the next
Not much fuel freezing ,even where I live.
They do tend to pop out sometimes when an engine block freezes, but wont protect it ,like some people commonly Believe. Probably why some folks call them freeze plugs. They do not protect the block from damage of frozen coolant, water....But you can call the freeze plugs if you want.
Freeze plug is a common misnomer that is all.
I am sure I will catch some slack for this info. Call me old school.
Fire away.
Straight from McMaster Carr...

https://www.mcmaster.com/welch-plugs/

Last edited by LATECH; 03-26-2021 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

A few other misnomers....

Spackle. Just put some spackle on the wall.

Spackle is a brand name ( Trademark) of a type of plaster from years ago.

Freon. Freon is a Trademark Brand name for a refrigerant known as R 12, and a few others made by the chemours company

Freon is not R134a or 1234yf. Those are refrigerants. R12 is a refrigerant.
Freon was merely a brand name.

Happens all the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spackling_paste

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freon

Sorry...kind of a pet peeve for me...

Old 03-26-2021, 07:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Sorry dude .you be wrong LOL

Welch plugs are named for the hole that is left in the casting or the "welch" of casting where the sand core is supported to cast said engine block. Then they bore the hole to a specific size and fit it with a plug.It fills the "welch" in the casting.
They also are used to block the end of a intersecting passage, say like in a carburetor where fuel passes from one channel to the next
Not much fuel freezing ,even where I live.
They do tend to pop out sometimes when an engine block freezes, but wont protect it ,like some people commonly Believe. Probably why some folks call them freeze plugs. They do not protect the block from damage of frozen coolant, water....
Freeze plug is a common misnomer.
I am sure I will catch some slack for this info.
Fire away.
Straight from McMaster Carr...

https://www.mcmaster.com/welch-plugs/
No way, I am never wrong - ever. LOL

"Core plugs are usually thin metal cups press fitted into the casting holes, but may be made of rubber or other materials. In some high-performance engines the core plugs are large diameter cast metal threaded pipe plugs."

"The Welch plug is a type of core plug that is made from a thin disc of metal. The Welch plug is dome-shaped and inserted into the casting hole with the convex side facing outwards. When installed by striking the Welch plug with a hammer, the dome collapses slightly, expanding it laterally to seal the hole. This differs from other dish-shaped core plug designs, which form a seal when their tapered sides are pressed into the casting hole. The Welch plug was originally designed in the 1900s at the Welch Motor Car Company in the United States." Example: Place the new Welch plug, concave side down, in the hole. Smack the dome of the Welch plug with a hammer. This will spread and seal the Welch plug.

"Holes in the side of the engine block which are plugged with a dish shaped metal plug called a "freeze plug" or "expansion plug". As with many things on a car, there is an "official reason" and a "REAL" reason for freeze plugs. The official reason (and the source of the name) is this: If you run just water with no antifreeze in your car's cooling system the water can freeze. When water freezes, it expands. If water freezes inside your engine block, it can expand and crack the block, destroying the motor. Freeze plugs (or expansion plugs) will "pop out" and supposedly prevent this. In reality this doesn't work all the time: I've seen MANY blocks destroyed by cracking without the freeze plugs popping out, or if they do pop out the block cracks anyway."

Old 03-26-2021, 08:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, if you go into McParts and ask for a freeze plug, the counterman will probably know what you want.

Old 03-27-2021, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are we really having the freeze/frost/welch plug debate again? Really?

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-27-2021, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Are we really having the freeze/frost/welch plug debate again? Really?
No. I have fertilizer in my yard though. I have 2 Bovines.They bring it to me. Some people call it Bull*****, but I call it fertilizer.

That is what this thread is about....FERTILIZER...
I understand the thing about freeze plugs welch plugs etc. Trouble is , is that the Freeze plugs dont offer any real protection against FREEZING and a cracked block. It is misleading, at least to the average person who knows little about cars.
Regardless of what you call it, they plug a hole in the casting left from the removal of the casting core/sand. They have NOTHING to do with Freeze protection AT ALL.

And that is FERTILIZER . regardless of what you call it. Thats all.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Suspended

Quote:
No. I have fertilizer in my yard though. I have 2 Bovines.They bring it to me. Some people call it Bull*****, but I call it fertilizer.

That is what this thread is about....FERTILIZER...
I understand the thing about freeze plugs welch plugs etc. Trouble is , is that the Freeze plugs dont offer any real protection against FREEZING and a cracked block. It is misleading, at least to the average person who knows little about cars.
Regardless of what you call it, they plug a hole in the casting left from the removal of the casting core/sand. They have NOTHING to do with Freeze protection AT ALL.

And that is FERTILIZER . regardless of what you call it. Thats all.
Is that fertilizer straight manure or composted? Moisture content is very crucial to its successful use. Use the “squeeze test” to check for moisture levels. If water can be squeezed out, the manure is too wet. If it doesn't form a ball, it’s too dry.

This manure is too wet. This manure is too dry. This manure is just right. I love the smell of good manure in the morning.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Is that fertilizer straight manure or composted? Moisture content is very crucial to its successful use. Use the “squeeze test” to check for moisture levels. If water can be squeezed out, the manure is too wet. If it doesn't form a ball, it’s too dry.

This manure is too wet. This manure is too dry. This manure is just right. I love the smell of good manure in the morning.
Wow, a man after my own heart. Manure is the best!!!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Wow, a man after my own heart. Manure is the best!!!
LOL. Yes, and just a little pinch of sheep dip between my cheek and gum.

Old 03-28-2021, 08:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
LOL. Yes, and just a little pinch of sheep dip between my cheek and gum.
Mmmmmm.....sheep dip

Old 03-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This debate is debatable. I once had a 73 Nova SS in northern Florida while I was in the Navy. I bought it from another sailor and it had just water in the system. During the winter (yes it gets below freezing there at times), it popped a side freeze plug. That's what I was always told they were and the freezing temps told me why and felt it did it's job. I ended up putting in a rubber style you tighten the fastener to expand the rubber to seal. Anti freeze coolant after that!

Old 03-29-2021, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Coincidence
Would you trust a Prophylactic that has a track record like a freeze plug?