The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 04-20-2021, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Best Sanding Block

Since I'm going to be doing a lot of sanding very soon, time to replace my 35 year old rubber block.

Any suggestions for the basic block that can be loaded with sheet sandpaper?

Old 04-20-2021, 06:41 PM
Senior Chief

DuraBlock.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What holds the paper to the block?

Old 04-20-2021, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What holds the paper to the block?
You need to use PSA paper.

Most Durablocks and similar products are intended to be used with adhesive backed 2 3/4" wide sandpaper that you cut off the roll and stick onto the block. The blocks are designed to use the same width paper whether they are 5" long or 24" long.

I have a full kit of Durablocks and after a million hours of block sanding, I ended up using them all except except the longest one. A few spots required some homemade blocks from chunks of 3/4" hose. There are some other blocks that are fancier and may work better but in my experience the Durablocks work well.

You didn't ask about sandpaper brands...I tried Indasa, Norton (gold and champagne lines) and 3M (red and gold lines). I found for coarse sanding with 80 & 180, they all worked OK, but for 320 & 400 the Norton champagne line and 3M gold line were noticably better, and the 3M gold was better/longer lasting than the Norton champagne. The expensive papers last longer, cut better, and end up being cheaper considering your time and how much you use

I think trying to use non-PSA sheet paper with these type of blocks will be frustrating and result on lots of wasted paper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210420_192113.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	565075  

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 04-20-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2021, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you, that clears up a lot. I'd much rather use paper I don't have to fold and tear

Norton has been my go-to brand in the past. I'll check out the 3M.

Last time I did this job they were folding up paper and putting it in the rubber blocks with the little spikes

Old 04-20-2021, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thank you, that clears up a lot. I'd much rather use paper I don't have to fold and tear

Norton has been my go-to brand in the past. I'll check out the 3M.

Last time I did this job they were folding up paper and putting it in the rubber blocks with the little spikes

You’ll be happy with the DuraBlocs. Much better to use.

Have fun!
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 04-21-2021, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What selection of grits should I have on hand to cover most work?

Old 04-21-2021, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There seems to be some personal preference with this...and whether you are using a metallic or solid colour.

Based on many recommendations from the auto body forums, I used 80-180-320-400. I was told if I was spraying metallic to finish with 600.

Seemed to work well for me. Used 80 grit to shape filler, then 180 to remove scratches in filler as well as initial blocking of epoxy and urethane primers, then when straight I sprayed more primer, blocked with 320 and 3M guide coat, then 400 and guide coat.

This was all dry sanding.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, thank you.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I love my dura blocks. I only have 3 I think, a small one, one about 6-8" long and one that is about 16" at least. As the devils advocate I have found that for body work I end up using the longest one the most. Works great on a long panel and the length lets you see the low spots in the finish better.

Years ago I started with those hard rubber blocks that the ends flipped open to reveal 'fangs' to grab the sandpaper ( I assume this is what you are using). There is a world of difference between the two. You wont be disappointed.

My paint store has the paper in a variety of lengths, I have no idea what brand they use but I have been happy with the results and ease of use of these.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dura blocks are great. Get a variety. You'll quickly find which ones are your favorites.
For spot repairs I like the one that's about 12~14 inches and maybe 2 inches across.
On the curvy '68 body, the 'teardrop' shaped one... In other words, has two flat sides and one curved and I think it's the bottom/right one in mrennie's pic....is useful along with a few heater hose and radiator hose pieces to get into the nooks like the lower body line. The other one I use on larger surfaces is about 18" long and maybe 3" across.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another vote for Durablocks. And foam noodles.

Old 04-21-2021, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
As the devils advocate I have found that for body work I end up using the longest one the most. Works great on a long panel and the length lets you see the low spots in the finish better.
On my 70, I found the only real places I could use the longest one were the roof and trunk lid.

However, I found that for the length of that particular block, it was not stiff enough and no matter how I held it I was sanding more where my hands were and less in the middle, which was screwing things up. When I dropped down to the next shorter length things improved. Long X pattern really helps too!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There are hardly any flat surfaces on the '68 to '72 A bodies... Trunk lid and.... Well, that's about it.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ordered the set of 6 Durablocks and a roll of 80 and 180 paper. Another couple weeks and the metal work will be done and I'll roll the body outside for blasting and priming.

Made a GTO Railroad ... some treated 2 x 6" staked into the gravel drive so I can roll it on the dolly wheels .... even has a little electric winch for pulling it in and out of the shop.

Be patient with my thread starts ... this is a new phase and I have a lot of questions

Old 04-21-2021, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Better to ask lots of questions and learn from all of our mistakes!!

Old 04-21-2021, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ordered the set of 6 Durablocks and a roll of 80 and 180 paper. Another couple weeks and the metal work will be done and I'll roll the body outside for blasting and priming.

Made a GTO Railroad ... some treated 2 x 6" staked into the gravel drive so I can roll it on the dolly wheels .... even has a little electric winch for pulling it in and out of the shop.

Be patient with my thread starts ... this is a new phase and I have a lot of questions
Ok, I cant get a good visual, and I love railroads, so lets see a pic!

Old 04-22-2021, 02:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll take a pic tomorrow, hopefully the freakin snow will be melted

Old 04-22-2021, 08:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thumbs up

Definitely Durabloc...........
Yur gonna need a roll of 220, 400 and maybe some 500.
With 400 and finer I wet sand as they clog less than trying to do it dry.
You’ll like ‘em!
Jerry

Old 04-22-2021, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple pics of the GTO "railroad" ... not much to look at but it serves the purpose. Cross bar at the end has a hole drilled for a pin I drop in to attach the small electric winch. Hole bored in the shop floor inside against the far wall to pull it back inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO-Railroad.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	565219   Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO-Railroad-2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	565220