Old 04-21-2021, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Rear Quarter Window Questions

So, as per my other threads I'm about to roll the body out for blasting work, priming etc. The original rear quarter windows are still installed and work pretty good considering the missing or hard as rock weather stripping. A bit floppy when almost all the way up ... not surprising with no weather stripping, but I don't know how tight they should be either.

So ... even if I could tape them off well enough to prevent blasting the glass, I'm guessing the sand would make it's way into the mechanism and never come out, giving me crunchy windows for life?

Next question would be, what's the skinny on the easy to way to remove them. I've got a spare set I removed from a donor car 25 years ago but at the time I wasn't concerned with remembering how they came out.

Eyeballing them it looks like a stop that limits the upward movement could be removed and it could be lifted out with the mechanism staying in place.

The main reason I'd want to remove them would be to see if I could replace or tighten the rollers ... is that a thing?

I see what looks like about five different mounting points for the mechanism, several of which appear to be adjustable .... I'm thinking that would be a real pain to reinstall properly.

As always all advice welcome.

Old 04-21-2021, 04:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We have different year cars, so I can't provide info on how to remove the quarter windows, but as someone who has had their car fully blasted, I can confirm that any any items with moving parts will 100% get blasting media in them, including your window regulators. Anything and everything that has moving parts needs to be removed or it will feel terrible afterward. This includes the steering column, door & trunk latch mechanisms, window regulators, hinges, and more.

I stripped my '66 down to nothing and was fine, but another guy at my shop left a bunch of things bolted to his '69 Camaro during blasting and paid the price.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
The Following User Says Thank You to ZeGermanHam For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fisher body manual came in handy when I replaced mine. It gives a good description on removal. Page 7-7 through 7-9. You may want to etch around the mounting bolts to give you an idea of the current settings when replacing the mechanism.
It took awhile to figure out how to install the first one. The second one took about 30 minutes to install.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2021, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the body manual ... what type does the 68 A body coupe have ... A37 ?

Old 04-22-2021, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 04-22-2021, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I read the Fisher body manual and did not find it to be incredibly helpful for reinstalling the windows and mechanisms in my car since everything was already out for many years.

I watched 3-4 YouTube videos for "Chevelle quarter glass replacement" and came to understand that there are at least 3 ways to get the glass and mechanism out, with varying degrees of swearing and scratching things up

Now that I have reinstalled everything, if I was just wanting to remove the glass I would do this:

-mark around all bolts with Sharpie marker

-remove both upper stops

-loosen top 2 bolts that go vertically through inner structure and downwards to hold top of track, to allow track to be pulled in/out

-remove lower bolt for track so that track bottom can be pushed towards outside of car, which will allow glass to tilt inwards

-remove bolts for window regulator so you can detach from glass

-now that glass is free from regulator, pull it upwards while tilting it inwards so it can clear the roof and be removed from track. This will result in window coming off track inside the car and not outside.

-after glass is out the track and regulator are easy to remove and clean/relube.

Like I said there are multiple ways to do this, watching the videos showed me several things not to do, as well as what might work better.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...

Last edited by mrennie; 04-22-2021 at 12:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post: