67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 04-28-2021, 03:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 Bird - Which leaf spring pads to buy Rubber or Urethane and brand?

Which rear leaf spring pads are best for a basically stock 68 Bird convert that will not be pushed hard? You can now buy the prothane pads less than the rubber. I've already purchased Moog rubber rear spring bushings so they all need to work together. It seems like some of the rubber pads out there are molded better than others so I'm not sure which ones hold up the best if I go that route.

What say you folks that have done this in the last couple of years?

Old Joe

Old 04-28-2021, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You're probably not going to notice a difference between the urethane pads and rubber pads. If you wanted to get really nitty gritty on the details, rubber would technically speaking transmit less NVH. However you're talking so minimal as to be almost imperceptible. Same for any actual performance gains you may see from having a denser material between the leaf spring and the mounting perch. If you were looking for .10th's at a race track, you wouldn't be running the isolator to begin with.

So I would go with whatever is cheaper and put the savings elsewhere in the car.

FWIW, I have the urethane pads that came with my hothckis leafs and they have held up well and are quiet.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run neither. Smaller spacer to take up the gap. No noticeable NVH change. Many trucks from the factory come without them.