Old 05-02-2021, 10:28 AM

Default Powerglide

Any one running a powerglide? I have a 3200lb car with a 462 in it. I just installed one in it and it slowed down. It needs more gear. I’m debating just putting the 3 speed back in. It is a et bracket car

Old 05-02-2021, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have picked up with a glide at that weight(+150#actually) before. What gears, in the rear and the glide? Tire size? Stall speed of the converter, or two step limit? I'm assuming your on a trans brake? Foot braking a glide I can see slowing down.

Old 05-02-2021, 11:06 AM

28 inch tire, has 5000 stahl, not sure what it actually does, not using trans brake, 4:11 gears. I run in a foot brake class. I was looking to get rid of a shift but car is a dog off line now. I can foot brake it and launch at 3000 but no higher car went from 6.60 (launching at 2000) to 6.90

Old 05-02-2021, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A gear change would help, but the brake would help more. I've always picked up going from 3spd to glide, but always with a brake. I don't have any experience to draw on to help you footbrake the glide. Except to say I'm not surprised terribly by the results. There is one other option. You didn't mention the low gear ratio of the glide, a low gear set would help depending on what you're running now. They weren't cheap last time I used one, but that's been 20 years... Maybe it's better now idk.

Old 05-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayes455ta View Post
Any one running a powerglide? I have a 3200lb car with a 462 in it. I just installed one in it and it slowed down. It needs more gear. I’m debating just putting the 3 speed back in. It is a et bracket car
That car is 3200 with you in it? No way!

Old 05-02-2021, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3000 rpm launch is a problem got to match everything to make it work -- we have plenty of guys running around 3000lb and doing great -- but a trans brake and at least 5000 or more stall will make all the diff--- 4.10 gear and a power glide is a 7.2 starting line ratio -- really bad -- most 3 speeds have a mid 2 first gear with 4.10 rear gear you are in the 10 to one area -- big time difference-- there in lies your problem --

Old 05-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It’s an all steel including hood 1979 TA with an IA block in it...it’s a pretty heavy car for a glide on a foot brake. You need an actual weight of the car with you in it and a full tank of gas...

Old 05-02-2021, 10:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

put a 4.30 gear in it and probably looser converter plenty people foot braking cars that weight with powerglide makes car deadly consistent

Old 05-02-2021, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Richie. Needs more gear and the converter loosened up. What rpm do you shift at? What size tire? What gear is currently in the car? My car runs the same et transbrake or footbrake. 6300 stall and was shifting at 6800 now 7000. My 60' is slow for the et but it makes up for it on the big end. I'm running a 4.11 gear and a 29.5W slick.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...makes car deadly consistent. "

That's one of the main reasons why MOST good bracket racers run a 2-speed. I've mentioned this before, but was shouted down, here. But now ya'll are hearing it from a guy who has some bracket racing clout.

Some use to say that a glide wouldn't hold up. But, as I've mentioned, they're being used in cars with over 2000 hp.

There are also some high powered cars running a 2-speed TH400. Probably lots of low gear ratios available for 2-speed TH400 applications. It's the "2-speed" part that makes it more consistent.

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...o-speed-three/

For our low budget, slow bracket footbrakers, the main 2 things I wanted were good lights and consistent ET's. Having the quickest ET in the field was NOT a possibility. I doubt seriously that has changed, for current low budget, slow bracket racers.

But, I've noticed that LOTS of guys, who can afford it, try to have the quickest & fastest car, so they can always be doing the chasing, rather than being chased, so they'll have the finish line advantage. Also gives the other car the 1st chance to red-light. Just basic bracket racing logic.

Then, there's the tactic which spectators hate: throttle-stop racing. Build a car that will go much quicker than you plan to go, slow it down AFTER launch, then cross the line at a MUCH faster speed than your opponent.

Lots of guys say they don't like anything but "heads-up" "no-breakout", 1st car to the finish line wins racing. But, without bracket racing, most tracks, & maybe even drag racing as a whole, would have been gone, many years ago. Even with bracket racing, & other forms of breakout racing, MOST all the tracks we ran, back in the '70's, are long gone.

So, I'm for anything that will keep the tracks open & non-pro cars racing.

PS: There's a very controversial rule that has been tried at some tracks & is being considered at others. Basically it says that if both cars red-light, the car with the worst red-light loses. Most guys with the quicker cars hate the rule. Guys with the slower cars love it. The TruStart system is a "worst-red-loses" system. Don't know if there are others. We would have won lots more rounds if that had been the rule back in our day.

Here's a thread where some guys here talked about it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...96#post5771196

The system has been available for several years now. Don't know what percentage of tracks have switched.

https://www.oahespeedway.com/6461-2/

Last edited by ponyakr; 05-03-2021 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...makes car deadly consistent. "

That's one of the main reasons why MOST good bracket racers run a 2-speed. I've mentioned this before, but was shouted down, here. But now ya'll are hearing it from a guy who has some bracket racing clout.

Some use to say that a glide wouldn't hold up. But, as I've mentioned, they're being used in cars with over 2000 hp.

There are also some high powered cars running a 2-speed TH400. Probably lots of low gear ratios available for 2-speed TH400 applications. It's the "2-speed" part that makes it more consistent.

https://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...o-speed-three/

For our low budget, slow bracket footbrakers, the main 2 things I wanted were good lights and consistent ET's. Having the quickest ET in the field was NOT a possibility. I doubt seriously that has changed, for current low budget, slow bracket racers.

But, I've noticed that LOTS of guys, who can afford it, try to have the quickest & fastest car, so they can always be doing the chasing, rather than being chased, so they'll have the finish line advantage. Also gives the other car the 1st chance to red-light. Just basic bracket racing logic.

Then, there's the tactic which spectators hate: throttle-stop racing. Build a car that will go much quicker than you plan to go, slow it down AFTER launch, then cross the line at a MUCH faster speed than your opponent.

Lots of guys say they don't like anything but "heads-up" "no-breakout", 1st car to the finish line wins racing. But, without bracket racing, most tracks, & maybe even drag racing as a whole, would have been gone, many years ago. Even with bracket racing, & other forms of breakout racing, MOST all the tracks we ran, back in the '70's, are long gone.

So, I'm for anything that will keep the tracks open & non-pro cars racing.

PS: There's a very controversial rule that has been tried at some tracks & is being considered at others. Basically it says that if both cars red-light, the car with the worst red-light loses. Most guys with the quicker cars hate the rule. Guys with the slower cars love it. The TruStart system is a "worst-red-loses" system. Don't know if there are others. We would have won lots more rounds if that had been the rule back in our day.

Here's a thread where some guys here talked about it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...96#post5771196

The system has been available for several years now. Don't know what percentage of tracks have switched.

https://www.oahespeedway.com/6461-2/
What does this post have to do with the car slowing way down and how to get ET back? Steve can repeat with a 3 speed trans as well because he runnered up 3 weeks ago but his rear end broke just before the final...instead of just fixing the rear like I would have done he changed the rear and transmission at the same time. Personally if I only wanted 1 shift I would just leave in 2nd with my manual VB T400...

Old 05-03-2021, 05:08 PM
Suspended

I have NO problem Bracket Racing with a 3 speed..........just saying!
Im thinking a 3 speed would hold up better.........JMO!

GTO George

Old 05-04-2021, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dont worry about a Power glide being dependable lots of cars with 1000 to 1500 hp and up running them.