Old 05-13-2021, 10:18 PM

Default Formula Ram Air Question

A previous owner cloned my 73 Ram Air Formula into a Trans Am. I am going to put it back if I can find all the correct parts.

I am curious what the difference between a ram air formula hood and a standard formula hood is. I am coming up with a blank in my searches and want to make sure I buy the correct hood. I have located the breather which was a hurt on the wallet lol. TIA

Old 05-14-2021, 05:18 AM
Senior Chief

Any 70 -75 formula hood can be used as a starting point. The factory RamAir hoods have the front opening cut open, a screen installed in each one to keep debris out and the rubber accordion boots installed under the hood to seal to the air cleaner housing. The boots, retaining rings and screens have all been reproduced, so once you have a hood you can get the rest as needed. Biggest issue will be finding a good condition hood as most used ones on the market are damaged and bowed up in the middle from years of being closed against stiff and worn hood hinge/ spring combinations.

The Following User Says Thank You to nas t eh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 06:29 AM

Thank you very much sir that is most helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Any 70 -75 formula hood can be used as a starting point. The factory RamAir hoods have the front opening cut open, a screen installed in each one to keep debris out and the rubber accordion boots installed under the hood to seal to the air cleaner housing. The boots, retaining rings and screens have all been reproduced, so once you have a hood you can get the rest as needed. Biggest issue will be finding a good condition hood as most used ones on the market are damaged and bowed up in the middle from years of being closed against stiff and worn hood hinge/ spring combinations.

Old 05-15-2021, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I sell the correct boot/ring mounting hardware.