Old 05-15-2021, 07:16 AM

Default 1971 LeMans Power Steering glitch

When I rebuilt the motor in the car I replaced the power steering pump with a NEW pump. Fast forward the engine is now running nice, but there is a bind in the steering turning right, left is perfect. I checked the shaft for a bind, none that I can see. I loosened the pinch bolt at the box and moved the shaft out about another 1/8 " and no help. The belt is adjusted properly, no squealing like it would if it was loose. The pump is full of fluid. The only thing I have not done yet is jack the car up so that the tires are slightly off the ground and operate the steering with the engine running.

Anyone else have this same problem and found a solution?

Thanks, Mark

Old 05-15-2021, 07:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I did was keep using it and turning the wheel back and forth. Air bubbles or newness after rebuild was the issue.

Hasn’t been a issue lately.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 PM

Thanks Mike, I am driving it up to the shop with a lift to bleed the brakes this week, maybe I can get some of it out on the way there.

Mark