Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 07-18-2014, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Legandary seat covers defect?

Anyone use Legendary seat covers? I bought a set to redo a '67 GTO interior and after inspecting the covers out of the box the bottom covers and the top covers but not as bad........all have these low spots running up and down the seams. There are even a few of these low spots running down the middle of the covers.

I've installed one of the lower covers using new foam and those low spots did improve somewhat but did not go away completely even after setting the cushion out in he sun for awhile.

I bought these thru a dealer who sells Legendary's products and emailed him these same pics. He admitted to me he's never had an issue like this and would contact Legandary.

Legandary's tech said he "thinks" the problem will go away once the covers are installed and they are not defective. Well gee Wally, isn't that what I already said I did and the problem remained?

The dealer said to return them to Legadary but at my expense and they will replace....huh? My expense? I don't think so.....

I asked the dealer to have Legandary inspect other sets for a '67 they have in stock to determine if these lows spots are on other covers but I never received a reply on that.

Has anyone here who has used Legandary on their '67 experienced these issues with the covers? If so did they eventually go away after installing?

I feel that Legandary should replace these at their return shipping expense but since they fell there is no problem with them they wont. I refuse to install these covers only to have the problem remain.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080644.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	370444   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080643.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	370445   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080645.JPG
Views:	171
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	370446   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080646.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	370447   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080647.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	370448  

Old 07-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Senior Chief

Do you have a picture of the assembled cover? How tight did the cover fit over the foam? Some of the replacement foam is softer than others and will contribute to the fit/appearance of the cover. I would like to see it if available.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:00 PM

Give Legendary a call yourself and speak to a tech or a supervisor. They have been using my 68 Firebird Convertible for a test fit of the convertible top boot they are planning on reproducing. They are concerned about their products being the best they can be......

Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintbird View Post
Do you have a picture of the assembled cover? How tight did the cover fit over the foam? Some of the replacement foam is softer than others and will contribute to the fit/appearance of the cover. I would like to see it if available.
Unfortunately no. I removed the cover from the bottom cushion. New ACI foam was used and although it did fit pretty tight those spots did remain to some extent especially down the center.

I was hoping that someone here may have/have not seen this before on their covers from Legendary. These particular covers were not made to order and were "off the shelf" covers they had in stock. Not sure if that would make a difference.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris66 View Post
Give Legendary a call yourself and speak to a tech or a supervisor. They have been using my 68 Firebird Convertible for a test fit of the convertible top boot they are planning on reproducing. They are concerned about their products being the best they can be......
Not sure what this will do. The company I bought them from has forwarded those pics and spoke to his Legendary rep and all they say is they will go away once installed but if I want another set send those back (at my expense) and they will replace.....after a three week wait so they can make them up.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Senior Chief

The inserts appear to be a bit "gathered" from the thread tension being a bit tight. I too think they will be fine once installed, see some sun/heat and are given time to relax. This is a common sight with new seat covers. I would not be too concerned with it if they were mine. (I have over 10 years OEM seat cover experience, and install classic car seat covers on the side.) Just my humble opinion. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-20-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Once installed they will go away , dry fit one make it tight .

Old 07-20-2014, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Once installed they will go away , dry fit one make it tight .
I did and they didn't go away completely even after having it out in the hot sun for half an hour. That is my concern.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:57 AM
Senior Chief

If they won't play ball, there is always the dispute thru the credit card route.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The foam backing inside the pleats is puckered from the stitching. As they were stitching, the tension of the foam changed. If you cut away the cover, you would see the foam looks like an S laid on its side, stretched in one area, gathered in another. The stretched areas are the low spots.

In the upholstery business, they would refer to the backing as having become puckered from uneven tension while stitching.

Send them back.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have considered opening a dispute with my CC company. As it turns out the dealer for these covers NOT Legendary has offered to foot the bill at his own expense to send these covers back to Legendary. Talk about going above and beyond for a customer....you'd think Legendary would take these back no questions asked but they say there is nothing wrong with them and wanted me to pay return shipping.... which is total hogwash IMO.

Problem is it will take them 3 weeks or so to make up another set.

Seems to be two different opinions here as to what I should do but there is no way I will install these only to be unsatisfied with their appearance. If you look at the pics again these low spots also appear down the middle of the cover where there is no seam. Almost like a defect in the vinyl itself.
It is just way too much work to use these as is and be unhappy....I certainly hope the replacement set has no issues.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just did my 1st interior with a set of legendary covers for my 78 trans am. Although the covers are different I did not notice the puckering in my covers like you have in yours. I think I would have sent them back also. Hopefully they make good on the deal for you if they are indeed defective. Here is a picture of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TA SEATS.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	371133