Old 07-30-2020, 05:20 PM

Default 68 GTO w/Quadrajet

68 GTO with Original carb that had been messed with and choke linkages bent all to hell so I got a rebuild kit and new choke pieces and had it rebuilt. Choke rod seems to hang up and causing choke not to function. Carb idles different every time u run it and driving me nuts. Nothing seems to make a difference and been messing with it for 4 days now. I'm leaning towards replacing carb cause its been messed with to much in the past. I like the Edelbrock carb but car has ram air pans on it and I want to keep them on. I don't know if a performer intake and Ebrock carb is same height as stock intake and carb. Would even be willing to run a spacer plate on ebrock carb and keep original intake if it would fit. I had a 71 GTO and ran same combo of ebrock intake and carb and could only put a small air cleaner on as anything else was hitting on throttle cable bracket. Any suggestions

Old 07-30-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you go with the Edelbrock AFB they make an air filter spacer to help full size (14”) open element air filters clear the linkage and electric choke housing.
https://www.edelbrock.com/pro-flo-se...-3-4-8092.html

Old 07-30-2020, 06:23 PM

car has ram air pan underneath hood and ram air, air cleaner and I want to keep those on. don't know if it will work and be able to keep pans on. Just wondering if maybe go with the Ebrock carb with original intake with a spacer. Don't want to run into clearance 'problems. Thanks for info on spacer, didn't know they had.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John O. View Post
68 GTO with Original carb that had been messed with and choke linkages bent all to hell so I got a rebuild kit and new choke pieces and had it rebuilt. Choke rod seems to hang up and causing choke not to function. Carb idles different every time u run it and driving me nuts. Nothing seems to make a difference and been messing with it for 4 days now. I'm leaning towards replacing carb cause its been messed with to much in the past. I like the Edelbrock carb but car has ram air pans on it and I want to keep them on. I don't know if a performer intake and Ebrock carb is same height as stock intake and carb. Would even be willing to run a spacer plate on ebrock carb and keep original intake if it would fit. I had a 71 GTO and ran same combo of ebrock intake and carb and could only put a small air cleaner on as anything else was hitting on throttle cable bracket. Any suggestions
The throttle plates are not installed properly and getting hung up.
Send some pics of the carb maybe I can straighten it out for you

Old 07-31-2020, 01:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the later model q-jets myself. I have the RA pans on my '68 also, and a '74 q-jet. Works great. I just had to open a half inch hole in the pan for the larger vent tube they used on the later quads. I replaced the hot air choke setup that originally came with those carbs with an electric unit.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

John, Don't give up!!!
There are several folks here that can help you.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...