THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

GM guy. My other loves are 58-64 X frame full size chevys. I had a 58 Delray up until recently and my great lost love is a 59 impala two door hardtop totaled in an accident when I was 19. I will never be able to afford one optioned and restored to the level that car was. It even had the vacuum ashtrays that sucked the ash off the cigarettes. I never have been a smoker but great conversation piece. Roman red with the white accent stripe. I like mopars but again too expensive for what you get and I would take an oddball Ford like a Falcon or a 61 Starliner.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac, first and foremost, my first car was a '60 Bonneville. After that, I strongly lean towards GM products - especially A, F and G bodies.. Most likely because my dad sold Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac, GMC products from the 50's through the 90's.

I could own a '32 Ford Vicky or Deuce coupe, but not with a Ford powerplant.

Nothing in the Mopar line excites me.

An AMX or a Javelin from AMC would be worth owning.

A Willys pickup would also be on my list.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like all old cars, especially pre war models. Never really crazy about the muscle car era mopars, to me they were not the most attractive body styles. I wouldn't mind owning one today though just because.

Old 10-12-2018, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Grew up in a FoMoCo family. Senior in high school in 1964 when the GTO hit the streets. Took me 6 years before I could afford a used one.

Enjoy most vehicles with 4 wheels (cars, trucks, tractors, lawn & garden, etc.) of most brands.

Happy there are so many different. This would be a boring world if there were only one perfect car. It would be a 1962 Jaguar E-type coupe, white, with baby blue interior (and it would still be so *&^%$#@ expensive that I would have to walk, as I couldn't afford one )

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
I like all old cars, especially pre war models. Never really crazy about the muscle car era mopars, to me they were not the most attractive body styles. I wouldn't mind owning one today though just because.
A lot of years ago, Chrysler had a TV ad stating (I don't remember the exact numbers) that Chrysler had 1100 engineers and only 5 designers.

This at a time when companies advertised quality, not low price.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am primarily focused on GM. I absolutely hate Fords of all eras, had a few MoPars, and they too suck. I work on them all, and prefer GM knowing that they had some real duds too.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 10-12-2018, 10:46 AM

My latest addition. Yup love 'em all. Half of the younger generation doesn't even know what this car is. LOL
]

And then there's this one:

Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
My latest addition. Yup love 'em all. Half of the younger generation doesn't even know what this car is. LOL
]
Is that a Vagabond?

Old 10-12-2018, 11:00 AM

The first cars I looked at buying when I was 15-17 were a '73 340 'cuda auto, black with white stripe, white '69 383 hdtp road runner, black '69 383 coupe road runner, a K5 dodge challenger(can't remember what year it was), a white aar 'cuda. I had less than $2k and everything was either completely trashed or really nice and outside my budget. I graduated HS in '86 and within a few weeks had my first 69 GTO, originally a matador red 4spd posi car that had a 70 wing on it, N50x15s on Cragar SS wheels, spring extenders and air shocks. It was a lot more of a mess than I though when I was buying it. It did have its original 4spd tranny and a 72 firebird 350 in it. IIRC the carb was correct for a 65 GTO.

I followed that up with 4 more 69s- 1 being my current Judge- and in 2002 bought a #s 69 6bbl road runner. I sold the rr a couple of years ago but have a 69 6pack super bee my dad bought in '06.. pretty much all apart, nom, needs a ton of parts but virtually no body work. It has awesome sheet metal . Now just have the Judge and the Bee. Have always like the '71-'73 Mach I's but haven't decided I have to have one just yet.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:05 AM

stich, love the Kaiser!! Have never seen one of that model in real life.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I'm primarily a GM guy, and always was. Pontiac, Olds, Chevy and Buick, in that order. Having restored and driven so many different brands of cars over the years has made me even more committed to GM stuff. Once you see past the make-up (wings, spoilers, purple paint) and actually work on the bones, opinions can change. The absolute worst build and ride quality of muscle car has to be late 60's and 70's uni-body Mopars.
With that said, if I was to own any uni-body muscle car for sheer body design appeal, it would be a '70 AMX.
You could have written that post for me, almost word for word. I would only add that even though the MOPAR build quality was terrible, they had some pretty body styles in the muscle car period, 70 Challenger, 69-70 Cuda, 66-67 Charger come to mind. They always had awful interiors, dash panels, and materials. But what a robust line of big, power engines. 440's and a properly tuned 426 HEMI engines were hard to beat. 413 long ram and 426 wedge engines were also technically interesting, had high quality internal parts and looked really cool.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I like mid-50s - early 70s muscle cars any make, BSA and Harley motorcycles, current Duramax pickups, and lots of tools/welders/milling machines and other tools, etc. to make stuff with.
I just happen to have more Pontiac junk than other brands so concentrate on them more.

Old 10-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I'm in the minority here, Only Pontiacs, all our daily driver and older cars are all Pontiacs. The exception is Jeeps, and trucks although all the Jeeps ended up with Stratostreak engines in them.

I currently own a S1600 IH wrecker 7.3 IDI N/A diesel (formerly a U Haul truck chassis shortened) wrecker, and a K3500 shoveorleaveit with a 6.5 Detroit turbo diesel because I won't own any chevy truck with a chevy engine.

The Pontiaddict T shirt in my avatar, that I designed 10 years ago, pretty well describes me.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-12-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My father owned a Kaiser Manhattan triple green Continental flathead 6, ours was broke down more than it ran and dad was a mechanic. I think the automatic transmission failing is when he threw in the towel.

My grandfather also owned a similar body style Kaiser, but not the top of the line, I can't recall what model his was. I think he had 50% STP in it and it still smoked like a chimney

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-12-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Is that a Vagabond?
Good guess but it's a '53 Manhattan. It was the last car my Dad owned before he died in '61. Had to have it for nostalgia's sake.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:36 PM
Senior Chief

I love Pontiac's but have had many other cars also. Mostly GM with a few Mopars thrown in, Road runner, Lil Red Express, and a Challenger. Father spent 49 years at GM , I will have 29 here shortly. Living in the Detroit Metro area never even looked at anything foreign. My brother in law has had some BMW's and my son had 2002 Mini Cooper S and was not impressed with any of them. They are too problem prone and parts are way expensive. I am biased to GM products because I am a technician at GM. I would also love a Ford GT, GT 40, Shelby or most any other muscle car form those time frames. I really like my wife's 2013 Camaro SS. It is amazing only to be out done by a friends 2012 Camaro ZL1 or his SS. I have not driven any of the newer Mustangs or Dodges but they look and sound nice. I am amazed at the newer cars performance and everyday drive ability but I still would rather drive an old Pontiac.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure sure. Cutlass, Chevelle, Skylark. but one look in at their interiors and only Pontiac will do thank you very much.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Sure sure. Cutlass, Chevelle, Skylark. but one look in at their interiors and only Pontiac will do thank you very much.
Really? I like Buick interiors. Notably the 60s Buick Rivieras might be the only car ever made that I would buy just to get to look at the dash while I drive.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 10-12-2018, 01:26 PM

I like just about all Muscle cars, have since the early 70's, of course some more than others, every manufacturer made some great Muscle cars, even AMC. HATE one brand Posers!

Old 10-12-2018, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kaisers are pretty neat cars. There was a local guy that had a collection of 4 or 5 that were mint. Saw one at a show last fall that had low original miles, it was really nice as well. They also made one, I think it was called a Dragon maybe? that had lizard skin upholstery.