THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-01-2021, 11:21 AM

Default GTO in Grand Rapids MI

This may not be the correct area to post this, my apologies if it’s not. I put on deposit down on a nice Barbados blue 6-speed 2004 GTO with 10,000 miles that’s at a dealer in Grand Rapids, MI. I’m in Minneapolis. The dealer is Fox Chrysler Dodge Jeep. I’m planning on having it shipped to me and I want to be able to look it over when it gets here and if it’s not what it should be, be able to decline it. Does anyone have advice on how to discuss this with the dealer? It occurred to me that there might be someone on here from Grand Rapids who could take a look at it for me (for a tip of course).
Thanks!

Old 08-01-2021, 02:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Personally I would jump on a plane- going to be very hard not to accept the car if you aren’t happy with it unless they also have a dealership local to you.

Old 08-01-2021, 03:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck with that.

Old 08-01-2021, 05:57 PM

Depending on the route, it's around a 9 hour drive to Grand Rapids - if you can't find someone local to inspect it, I'd take a day or two off and go check it out in person before it's shipped.

Old 08-01-2021, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback! I need to talk more with the dealer but it would be nice if they would all function like Carvana these days. They bring you the car and you can inspect and test drive it before you hand over the payment. You can even return it up to 7 days. I guess that’s a lot to ask of a small dealer. I’m hoping to avoid a plane trip or car ride, but I may need to or back out of the deal.

Old 08-01-2021, 07:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carvana isn’t selling classic cars. Big difference imho.

Don

Old 08-01-2021, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
Carvana isn’t selling classic cars. Big difference imho.

Don
Agree completely. That difference is the expectation of the exact quality level expected in that "Classic" car. New cars, and late model used cars, AKA Carvana and others have a well established expectation of how the car should look and perform based on the years of use, mileage, and area of the country where it was used. A classic car 50+ years old has expectations that are just all over the map. IMO, you have to go look at it in person. My experience has been that every muscle car sold through a "classic " dealer is overpriced to way overpriced, and always lacks in the details to the point that I would not buy the car. Hopefully, you experience will be better. Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2021, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Carvana doesn’t ship a car 9 hours for free though.

On one hand it has 10k on it- how bad can it be? On the other hand (and as a 2004 GTO owner) you need to look at the car in person. The paint was thin on those cars and the interior will split apart when you sit in it if it wasn’t taken care of and treated consistently

Old 08-01-2021, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can hire a second set of eyes through several companies.
They send detailed findings of flaws and pictures.

But with luck, you can hire a PY member in that area for a modest fee.

The dealer will hang up on you if you start asking those type questions, but he might give you the number to Carvana before he ends the call.

Just in case you don't know them well -
the 04 has the smaller engine, flatter hood , and weakest interior.
Still good cars though

Old 08-01-2021, 10:15 PM

Very good points! I’ve actually owned 3 other 2004s over the years. I don’t know why I keep selling them!? They look cool in the garage next to my ‘68.
My brother actually suggested an inspection service, one called lemon squad will run around $180.
The dealer sent me a bunch of pictures and it looks very clean. There’s just a couple small dings and scuffs that I could see. One owner car just hope he wasn’t a cigar aficionado or parked the car in a swamp.

Old 08-03-2021, 08:35 AM

I live close by. I would be willing to go look at it for you. No charge.
Steve 616 260 9080

71 Pontiac GT-37 400 4 spd (sold)
71 Formula 400 turbo 400 (sold)
01 Firebird T/A WS6 auto (fun)
64 Tempest Post car LS1/4L60E (Love It!)
65 Lemans Post car LS1/4L60E (More Fun)(sold)
73 Lemans GT 400/auto 1 owner 52k miles
69 El Camino LS1/4L65E (Awesome)
70 Pontiac GTO Convertible 400/400 Original
69 Olds Cutlass S W31 Numbers matching 4Spd 3:91 one of 569
Old 08-03-2021, 10:20 AM

Thanks Steve, that’s awesome! I’ll give you a call soon.
Drew