THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-02-2021, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Hail Protection

In the near future (once my resto is done) I will have one more vehicle than garage space (daily driver will be driveway bound). We get quite a few threats of hail storms in the summer months and 4 years ago my daily was totaled due to baseball sized-hail.

I'd like to protect my daily, but haven't seen any 'covers' that really are up to the task for more than pea-sized hail...until I saw this - The Hail Protector. Kinda crazy idea (ala 'what would the neighbors think').

Predominantly great reviews, but setup looks to be a bit complicated. The manufacturer/reviews state you need to practice ahead of time and know how to cinch correctly for wind stability. Also looks like it would be best for 2 or more people to do quickly enough. I assume the more negative reviews about setup are from those that couldn't be bothered.

Anyone have experience with this system or have viable alternatives (aside from a dedicated storage area)? Can't build onto the house.

Thx!

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 08-02-2021, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The trick would be getting it put on the car in time - You don't often have a lot of warning time before a regular thunderstorm turns to hail.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 05:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The trick would be getting it put on the car in time - You don't often have a lot of warning time before a regular thunderstorm turns to hail.
Yep...probably best to put it up proactively, even if it ends up not hailing.

Comes with a storm app...

Old 08-02-2021, 05:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would make sure my insurance covered it.

I used to run out snd put blankets on the cars until I got smoked in the back of the head with a chunk of ice. Didn’t knock me out but it definitely rang my bell. Decided then not to bother with it.

If it’s a daily driver that can easily be fixed and value won’t be effected then I wouldn’t worry

Old 08-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Either build another garage or live with the risk of your DD being damaged.

Old 08-02-2021, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My wife's SUV also was damaged in the storm that totaled my car. I think the only reason her's wasn't totaled ($9K+ damage) and mine was, was because the rear window of mine shattered and filled with rain.

That said, her SUV was never the same after being put back together. Yeah...the insurance covered it (minus the deductible), but she was not happy. Would rather have totaled it, or avoided it.

So...if y'all have say a $60K DD that you love, low mileage, maintained well and HAS to stay outside, you wouldn't consider some kind of protection??

Maybe the baseball sized hail hitting again is like lightening hitting twice and one of those heavyweight/multiple layer covers is good enough for up to quarter sized. If the big stuff happens again, I suppose I can hope it's totaled and start over again.

Last edited by vertigto; 08-02-2021 at 07:49 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So the lesson is if your in a hail storm be sure the windows are busted out!

I completely understand wanting to have protection for a higher end car. My wife’s Hellcat sits outside and we have been pretty lucky- not so much with her SRT8…. It was hailed on twice with significant damage.

I guess I am saying that the chance of me being there to set up any type of protection system at the right time is slim and would not be worth it to me.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:50 AM
Senior Chief

So you cant build more storage but would you be alllowed to setup a moveable carport? Like this example https://images.app.goo.gl/75Y6JMLT4VEi7UX5A

Old 08-03-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you can't opt for a true garage of any kind I'd try for a basic "carport" ... four poles and a slightly pitched roof.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lean-to type shelter (carport) coming off front of garage ?

A faux covered rear porch - that is actually an emergency shelter for car.
But looks like an outdoor entertainment/dining area in fair weather.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

Heavy cover, layer of pool noodles, another cover. Only windstorm damage I've had was from hail and that was over 30 years ago.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Car port at tractor supply is like 1100 bucks.
All metal roof, and you can hang tools, weight, etc from the supports.
I also use cheap Harbor Freight moving blankets, and as soon as they are on the car, I hose them down, soak em if not yet raining.
LAST June, not too far from here, they had to use snow plows to move large Hail in massive quantities. A dealership lost a lot of cars.
Seeing that up close tends to make you a lot more prepared.

Old 08-03-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cheap carport and make sure your insurance, and prayer, is adequate. What are the chances that you'll actually be in position to utilize the protective measure anyway?

Old 08-03-2021, 05:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When you have collector vehicles, you need a lot of garage space.

We currently have about 1900 sq ft of garage space (676 attached sq ft and 1200 detached) on a 1.25 acre lot. We will be building a new house in town on a relatively small lot (.35 acres) and will probably have a 24x36 attached garage for our daily drivers with a 24x36 garage underneath with access from the walkout basement for the old cars.

We get hail, snow, straight line winds and tornados around here. Collector car policies require they be stored inside. Our 2021 Caddy CT4 and 2019 Chevy Equinox get parked inside based on our personal desire to keep them out of harm's way.

Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So...although the movable carport idea is interesting, the HOA wouldn't allow any structure and we don't have enough space/long enough driveway either way. Doesn't look like they would offer side protection and from my experience, hail is often accompanied by significant wind.

No option to build anything...that would be too easy. Also not willing to store the GTO offsite.

FWIW...I work from home, so it would be relatively easy to plan ahead if threatening weather is imminent. The Hail Protector could be an option (if it really works), but would rather have a cover (of some sort) that can offer full coverage and on/off and secured in minutes and stable in winds. Most blankets/covers that I've found that offer real hail protection don't protect the lower half.

Not opposed to spending some $$, but it has to be a viable option that works. I don't think there is anything out there...may be a business opportunity for someone.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In your scenario being home mostly - you could probably handle the drill of putting on that inflatable protector any time bad storm warnings came up.
After a few practice runs it would probably get pretty simple and quick.

People bicht and complain on reviews about trying to put up a pop-up canopy.
I put them up and take them down by myself all the time.
And i even remove the material from frame each time.
Everything takes a certain degree of observation and coordination to make it simpler.

Old 08-03-2021, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would invest in a stadium-grade rain parka/poncho for yourself too.
I hate doing anything in the rain without one of those, you might have short notice or even be late to the party sometimes on doing the bubble cover.

It would be a terrible feeling watching the car get pulverized because you couldn't get out there in the pouring rain to put the bubble on it - and rolled the dice without it.
Then golfballs and baseballs start bouncing off of it

Old 08-04-2021, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Attach a large RV roll up awning to the side of your house, unroll it and set it up, drive the car under, lower the legs as much as you can .. best if you had some method to anchor the posts ... like maybe a concrete (sono-tube) anchor in the ground.

Or ... if you can't find an RV awning big enough (and they can be expensive), have a custom heavy duty canvas tarp made (McMaster-Carr), come up with mounting points to the house/garage (like round eye lag bolts with carabiners), keep the tarp rolled up there and unroll for a storm ... but you'd have to find a way to anchor the ground side ... legs, fence, another building etc.

Minimal side protection, but the lower/bigger you can make it the less that would be an issue.

Could sort of do the same thing with a framed wall ... picture a framed wall hinged to a garage wall at the top. Most of the time it would just hang there, could be painted to match the building ... storm comes lift it up (might take a couple of people), have some anchor legs that install ... maybe even some tarps that hook on and hang down to provide side protection ... but setup time could be at least ten minutes.

Old 08-05-2021, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
In your scenario being home mostly - you could probably handle the drill of putting on that inflatable protector any time bad storm warnings came up.
After a few practice runs it would probably get pretty simple and quick.

People bicht and complain on reviews about trying to put up a pop-up canopy.
I put them up and take them down by myself all the time.
And i even remove the material from frame each time.
Everything takes a certain degree of observation and coordination to make it simpler.
Those are my thoughts exactly.

Everyone wants to hit the 'Easy' button. We wouldn't be in this hobby if that were our mantra.